Homemade Verm-X (and natural chicken ways?)

Pics
I came across this feed in my search for vermx. I was thinking of making my own as well. I've made my own VetRx and saved a lot of money. How did you birds make out on your treatment?
Vetrx is essentially vicks rub for chickens, it doesn't cure or treat anything, it's really a waste of money to begin with.

I came across this feed in my search for vermx. I was thinking of making my own as well. I've made my own VetRx and saved a lot of money. How did you birds make out on your treatment?
Those hens ended up being fine at that time. I don't actually use it as regularly as I should, but I've never seen worms in their poo and none that we've butchered (roosters). I just use it as a weekly or even monthly dietary supplement as that's about all I can remember to use it. They don't like it much. They don't like most "additives" like garlic, acv, and oregano. So I sprinkle it in scrambled eggs because they're so greedy, I know they'll eat that. But if I sprinkle it in feed, I have no idea who is eating it and who isn't and what they're getting from it.

I figure this: my hens free-range a lot so they're getting what nature intends for them. Birds die easily once they get sick and you can treat and baby only so much once your flock gets big enough and your homestead busy enough that you can't treat every incident as if they were a pet.

That said, I have good vitamins, homemade herbal mixtures and salves, and such that I will use on my hens, and we'll bring an "iffy" chicken in the house to watch and treat for a few days. Luckily, we haven't had much problem, except what was probably Marek's. Lost 4 out of 5 young pullets to it. Now we treat them all for better resistance (Chinese skullcap - NOT to be confused with American skullcap), especially the young ones who have been in a separate coop area and were at an age to contract and die from it. Now they're old enough to integrate and be less likely to die from infection.

Back
Top Bottom