Homemade Worming Treatment! (Maybe?)

Will this work as a natural wormer? What say you?

• Yes

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • 50/50

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
I admire your desire to keep things natural. But after having had horses for more than fifty years and seeing the nastys that can be expelled... I doubt that It will do much more than give them a nice treat. Chickens love spice.

If you can afford it invest in a used microscope ... A fecal test only has to be done on one because most likely they will all have it. What a fecal test does is lets you count the amount of worm eggs in the Feces. Casportpony will attest to this. You drop some poo in a jar of water and let it swirl around. The eggs will drop to the bottom of the glass you pour off the rest gently and eye dropper the stuff at the bottom onto a slide.

Then you count the worm eggs on the slide. X amount is a normal amount... Y amount is dangerous worm load.

Worms live Not only in the gut but also in the muscle... So you may never see whole life cycles visually through droppings except through the feces.

My feelings on DE are also on the fence... While I can see it would be a natural desiccant I feel the accidental Breathing in of the microscopic skeletons could damage the lungs... For both humans and Critters.

Good luck on your experiment

deb
:sick
I made the mistake of reading this while eating breakfast....

@RoosterML: I'm here (at BYC) in order to learn. I'm here, at your thread, also trying to learn something. Did the pumpkin seeds expel the roundworms, or did the peppers? Or was it the combination? I've faithfully followed this thread for 10 pages, and now I still don't know, because at the last moment you switched from pumpkin seeds to a combination of pumpkin seeds and peppers. Sigh. See ya.

@RoosterML: I'm here (at BYC) in order to learn. I'm here, at your thread, also trying to learn something. Did the pumpkin seeds expel the roundworms, or did the peppers? Or was it the combination? I've faithfully followed this thread for 10 pages, and now I still don't know, because at the last moment you switched from pumpkin seeds to a combination of pumpkin seeds and peppers. Sigh. See ya.
I’m still trying to figure it out myself what may work best. Here is what I come up with to date. I personally do believe the Pumpkin seeds do work. To what extent is yet to be known because I am only playing around with it right now.
So I get an idea in my head saying hell if I was a worm hot pepper would get me moving so I add some pepper to it in hopes it will help and surely it can’t hurt anything so why not give it a go. I am learning here just like anyone else. I am not a chicken whisperer. @BigBlueHen53 my apologies if I am coming off alittle harsh. I have been given a lot of crap for what I been doing. Please don’t take it the wrong way.

UPDATE:
I did do one of my poop board observations this morning and did not notice any worms. I did however give them the potion yesterday morning which gave them all day to expel worms if it worked and I would not have even known. I regret now as I should have given it to them just before they went to roost.:he
Darn now I don’t have anymore seeds to make some more. I guess I know what I will be doing this week.
Please if someone is following this thread and doing to same thing please give it to the chickens just before going to roost for the night. This way you can look over the poop come morning.

Back
Top Bottom