Homemade Worming Treatment! (Maybe?)

Will this work as a natural wormer? What say you?

• Yes

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • 50/50

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
What I can see happening though is a panicked fairly new chicken owner frantic to find a "cure" scanning rapidly and going "Whew! The treatment is Soooooo easy!" Then finding the hard way that said treatment was not fully studied and did not work.
I don’t really get frantic or panic over my chickens. That is not to be misunderstood as not caring for my animals.If something were to get me to a point even close to that because something is clearly wrong with my bird the next move I will likely do is grab the axe. Harsh maybe but I am not letting my chicken suffer.

Besides if you just pick a few words from the thread and think this thread is going to be the miracle cure. You shouldn’t have any chickens to begin with. Can’t fix stupid!

It appears I have managed to offend you...or hit a nerve. :confused:

No idea why you found my post offensive.

I do know that 90% of the time when I Google anything chicken related I get a big ole list of threads on BYC about it.

Yes deciphering the info found to get to what is actual truth is essential.
I find many lacking in that particular skill.

No you cannot fix stupid.

Have a nice day.:frow

Clearly it's a challenge for all sorts of people.
I'm not offended, just backing up the OP when several individuals felt the need to all tell OP how bad they were for posting something pretty innocuous that will probably vanish into the depths of the internet ocean in a matter of a few days (well, weeks more likely but still). I noticed the dogpile. It's not like it was just you posting about it being bad, repeatedly...

Unfounded concepts like "Someone might maybe someday stumble on this and ignore everything else for the words in this one post, so you shouldn't post it" seem like a bit of a stretch. But to be sure I tested your hypothisis that someone running an urgent search might find it. Even googling "Backyardchickens deworming chickens" only got me one BYC thread (here) and the rest were other webpages about backyard chickens. So, scientifically speaking this thread would be hard pressed to be harmful and could be interesting. ;) Others are welcome to put in their own data points. Maybe we can make a graph.

I guess I just don't like to see someone have all the joy sucked out of something because other people felt the need to misinterpret or strawman it. Why get stuck on it? It's got potential and it's not harmful. Many people even posted studies about the potential effectiveness of pumpkin seeds as a dewormer so it seems perfectly valid for someone to make a post about their own experiences with it.

Let people try things and document it if other people are curious. Honestly, that's part of what forums are good for.

Thank you, I can feel the love!! Glass of wine or maybe a beer for you??? The choice is yours! :)
After reading all the reactions to your post I think I need a beer :gig

I was curious if this potion of yours is save-able? Do you think if you froze it, you could thaw portions of it over winter as a treat to keep them full and entertained? I've always struggled with my chickens over winter, they pig out on regular feed and are bored to death.(I free range spring/summer/fall, not winter) and so I've been looking for treats and toys and such to make winter more entertaining for them.

I just wonder why people are so afraid of harmless experiments. It won't hurt a thing. The way people go of on others who merely consider other ways outside of commercial brands is pretty gross. No harm is being done. Why not try?? No one ever learns anything by sticking to conventional norms. Is this person even suggesting others do this? No, they only wanted to make notes of their own observations. The way you all flock to go after people suggests far more than merely trying to help. There is BIG MONEY in ag services and products. You got to admit it's funny how the longest threads are always because someone was trying to post about natural things and the fact they are jumped on instantly and in numbers. Fishy if you ask me. It is also the same people doing it over and over. Me thinks some are more than they claim. Thank you for sharing and I will be looking forward to the results.

Last edited:
Update:
I have to admit I lost complete control of my study. Here’s how it goes. This evening my 7 and 4 year old wanted to participate in the administration of my secret potion.
Here is said evidence, I was lucky enough to catch them in the act.
Exhibit #1
82E9AC9D-41B0-44AF-B698-89E671113C43.jpeg
Exhibit #2
5C053C70-F28F-47F6-A6F4-3339F27DD891.jpeg
With my full observation they disbursed the secret potion in 1 teaspoon increments on an 8x8 log to avoid possible conflict amongst the test subjects. Please see photo (exhibit #3)of teaspoon in container prior to administering.
Exhibit #3:
637B3822-DBE8-4CF4-82B2-0AF25B66AA87.jpeg

The following 3 photos (exhibit 4,5&6) are evidence of disputes between human and poultry in regards to uneven size of spoonful.
The Turkeys were the loudest of those who complained.
Exhibit #4
83592F57-E069-48F8-90A7-87CF755DC57E.jpeg
Exhibit #5
4833EC18-5F2E-42F5-A64C-D71BC79560A7.jpeg
Exhibit#6
ED6B15AA-4CAF-4CF8-9EC5-FB7FE080DA7C.jpeg
As you can see I lost control of the administration of dose #2
Dose number#2 equaled two Chinese food containers (refer to exhibit#3).
I will have full control of the visual poop board inspection tomorrow. I will not have my 2 willing helpers assist in that portion of this study.
Thank you for your continued support to those who have gone on this journey with me. I look forward to reporting my findings tomorrow evening.
For full disclosure I was going to only give one Chinese food container at a time but anyone with kids will know that when you only have one of something for 2 kids sometimes it doesn’t go so well.;)

Ok Folks,
I have results to post,
They say pictures are worth 1000 words so here you go:
. 29429CDD-7DC5-4A7B-A310-2053DAAD1E53.jpeg
It is confirmed that I have round worms in my folk. Now the question is did the 2 doses of my secret potion have anything to do with the round worms being expelled? As I stated in an earlier post that was after the first dose was given I did not see any worms on the poop board. Now after the second dose was given I did see round worms.
So now that makes me scratch my head, well maybe this highly concentrated Pumpkin seed serving did have an effect. To me I am a believer. Do I think this is a cure to a heavy worm load no I do not as there would need to be some serious testing done before claims like that could be made. In my opinion(which isn’t worth much:p)I do believe that highly concentrated Pumpkin seed given to chickens will have an impact on a chickens worms load. The real question is how much of an impact will it have???? Damn now I have some serious thinking to do on where I want to go with this testing. Please people if you have your own worms your dealing with consult your vet for your best course of action.
Let the controversy continue!!! Let’s go folks bring it on !!!!;)

Back
Top Bottom