Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Well, after the responses to my post/question about making goat cheese three days ago I ended up on this thread. I've spent part of the past 2 evenings + an hour or so this morning reading through the entire 103 pgs! What a great learning experience!

I took a shot at it this morning and the result is ....terrific!.... or
tongue2.gif
(as Ozark Hen says)
I used 1/2 gallon of milk to make 1 quart, 2 pints, and poured the leftover into a half pint.

It was thick and creamy after 6 hrs processing. I removed 1 pint at that point to have as dessert tonight with homemade blueberry jam. The flavor was great without the jam, but perfect for a dessert with it. Yummo...DH is ready for me to make more.
wee.gif

I left the quart, 2nd pint and half pint to process another 3 hrs (making 9 hrs total). They came out a little 'tangier' and thicker, almost solid. My plans are..

- keeping the pint for use as 'sour cream' in recipes.
- straining the quart & half-pint together for yogurt cheese tomorrow. I'll add some of my homegrown dried herbs to that for a cheese spread served with crackers or bagels.

Thanks so much Miss P for sharing your recipe and many, many tips throughout the endless pages of this post! And thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and trials throughout the post....really, really helpful.

I'm so glad I read this post!

If you don't mind using powdered milk, here's a recipe for "Velveeta" Cheese that I got on another board a couple yrs ago. It works perfectly and I never buy velveeta-type cheese anymore. I've also found it works well with other cheeses - for example, I make a Swiss variation, Gouda variation etc. Great for using in cheese sauce recipes, etc.

"Velveeta" Cheese Substitute

1 1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. + 1 Tbls. powdered milk
1/2 envelope unflavored gelatin (1 1/2 tsp)
1 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated

In blender, put half of all ingredients and whip until gelatin is dissolved. Pour into an 8 x 4 x 2 loaf pan that has been lined with plastic wrap. Put remaining ingredients in blender and whip again until fully blended. Pour into loaf pan on top of first layer. Cover pan with more plastic wrap and chill overnight before unmolding. Keep refigerated and slice as needed.

Quote:
That's what I figured out. I like my extra-thick. I've been making smoothies for breakfast a few mornings each week. A handful of frozen strawberries picked last summer, a broken up banana, and the wonderful little blender I got for Christmas.

Here's how my last batch turned out...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe, Miss Prissy. I'm on my third batch since late January. I've just been using the last of the previous batch to make the next... Is there anything wrong with doing that, rather than getting a new small yogurt from the store each time? I figure I'll know if it stops working.

I also figured out that I had to use a double-boiler set-up to keep from scorching the milk. I just use one big pot inside another bigger pot with a few inches of water.

Quote:
That's what I figured out. I like my extra-thick. I've been making smoothies for breakfast a few mornings each week. A handful of frozen strawberries picked last summer, a broken up banana, and the wonderful little blender I got for Christmas.

Here's how my last batch turned out...
[URL]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4415892588_0b422584e4.jpg[/URL]

Thanks for the wonderful recipe, Miss Prissy. I'm on my third batch since late January. I've just been using the last of the previous batch to make the next... Is there anything wrong with doing that, rather than getting a new small yogurt from the store each time? I figure I'll know if it stops working.

I also figured out that I had to use a double-boiler set-up to keep from scorching the milk. I just use one big pot inside another bigger pot with a few inches of water.

OH good question!!

<<<< Is there anything wrong with doing that, rather than getting a new small yogurt from the store each time? I figure I'll know if it stops working.>>>>

I've been doing it that way for more years than I'd like to say... hmmmm. It may become tangier with time so just start over with fresh yogurt.

I am trying the yogurt recipe for the first time and I am a little nervous and intimidated by it. How do I know it is working? I followed the recipe to the T, but my cooler doesn't feel warm to the touch. I don't want to make anyone sick off from this. I really hope that this works, because I am so excited about it. Is it suppose to be really hot on the inside or just warm? I just don't know.

Just warm. Not hot. Hot will kill the culture. Once it has had several hours to 'incubate' put it in the fridge over night. You'll love it.

Put the whole cooler in the fridge too, or take out the yogurt. 3 hours long enough to incubate? Okay, It is thick after 4 hours, however, it has a tangy taste to it. I added sugar, but only 1/2 cup with some vanilla. I can taste the vanilla, but it isn't sweet enough. How much sugar should I add? Is it suppose to be tangy. I gues I am saying it taste a little sour. I did use fresh cow's milk. It actually taste like the plain yogurt I bought at the store, a little less tangy. Is this the way it is suppose to be?

Last edited:
I think you need to go back and read the initial recipe and follow the steps exactly. I have never had yogurt be ready in 3 hours. Once the yogurt cultures have incubated 6 - 10 hours set the jars in the fridge for several hours to chill through completely.

Homemade yogurt will taste a little tangy, especially with raw fresh milk. Commercial yogurt has many additives and you are making the real thing free of those preservatives and additives. Add the sugar and other flavorings when you heat the milk to 110. The warming of the milk gives the yogurt cultures the perfect environment to thrive.

After you have succeeded with the basic yogurt recipe and feel confident with it then you can branch out and experiment with other variations.

Thanks MissP,
I did what you said to do, and now I am having a bowl of my yogurt for breakfast with fresh strawberries and granola. I did have to add some sugar to it. I am going to try my next batch when I get home from work.

Back
Top Bottom