homeowners association help and legal definition of household pet

adam010

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
We live on 2 acres in rural MN but unfortunately live on a road with 11 houses under a homeowners association. Our covenants say we may have 2 domestic non-exotic household pets. Our neighbors say that our 2 chickens do not meet this rule. Does anyone have any legal information that we can use to enforce what we feel is just? THanks so much!

Each state, county, city, or homeowners association have their own rules and their own definitions. The homeowners association down the road from you might have a different definition than yours. I suggest you talk to the only people that know the definition in your specific homeowners association. That would be your homeowners association.

Thanks
The only problem is, is that everyone has their own definition. The ones that do not want us to have chickens make their definitions fit their agenda and those that are okay with it make their definition allow for them. What it will come down to is us creating our own definitions of each word. Majority will have to rule over definitions but we could end up going round and round with this because onece one definition is axed a new one will have to be developed and voted upon. What a mess. Wouls most people here say that chickens would be considered household pets (even though they are housed outside of the house as such an outside dog would be?) I really apprectiate your feedback. Thank you very much! I am looking forward to being able to keep my chickens and fully use this site!

Wouls most people here say that chickens would be considered household pets (even though they are housed outside of the house as such an outside dog would be?) I really apprectiate your feedback. Thank you very much! I am looking forward to being able to keep my chickens and fully use this site!
In the end, it is the opinion of the voting membership that will determine if chickens are household pets. It is likely that the term will be interpreted as "dwelling witin the home," as this is the most common interpretation of "household."

If you live in Ft Collins, CO just give up. I know the people this has been brought to and you'll lose! lol Sorry!!!!

If you're keeping the chickens inside your house I would see them as a parakeet, etc. People have pot bellied pigs as pets so I see no reason to count chickens inside a house as pets. If your animals are going outside of your house and annoying the hell our of your neighbors then you're not likely to convince people they're a pet. Neighbors may not be able to get rid of an annoying dog but chickens they have a chance with.

According to the City of Rochester, MN City Ordinances, you need a chicken coop and a chicken run to legally have chickens in MN. Apparently, you are permitted to have and maintain a chicken coop as long as you have a permit, which only costs $20. Good luck!

No, no roosters. In fact we have an empty lot on one side of us with a hill that blocks the chicken coop and on the other side of us the neighbors cannot even see the coop but also have told us that they have no problem with it. The next nearest house is maybe 600 yards away. The coop is tucked behind an even larger garage so is not visible unless you walk behind our lot, and even then you cannot see the chickens but can see part of the coop. I really think people just have a problem with us and want to excert their dominance over us, and want to be in control of their neighbors. ugh!

If you live in Ft Collins, CO just give up. I know the people this has been brought to and you'll lose! lol Sorry!!!!

If you're keeping the chickens inside your house I would see them as a parakeet, etc. People have pot bellied pigs as pets so I see no reason to count chickens inside a house as pets. If your animals are going outside of your house and annoying the hell our of your neighbors then you're not likely to convince people they're a pet. Neighbors may not be able to get rid of an annoying dog but chickens they have a chance with.
The OP clearly states that they live in rural MN, so it appears you have an ax to grind with Ft Collins? There is a liberal chicken ordinance within the city limits, but in general HOA's are allowed to be more restrictive than the city or county they are in which is why I sought out property and built my home in a subdivsion without restrictive covenants and no HOA. Its not the real government, its the private HOA 'govenment' that is the problem.

TO the OP: have you contacted any of the HOA board members? Also read the HOA governing documents for the exact wording. What teeth do violations have? Can they fine you and place a lien on your property for violations? How are grevences handled? Have you received anything official from the Board? More info is needed to give advice.

Back
Top Bottom