Homer the One Eyed Chick (with an adorable picture!)

I have a white Wyandotte that at first I thought splayed leg. However even after treating him, it got worse. I think the hip joint is faulty, as it clicks. I wanted my husband to cull him, but he wouldn't. He said give him a chance, his life will be harder, that's all! Well GIMLET is 1 month old now. He is tenacious, loves his food, and won't be outdone by the others. He scrambles about sort of crablike. He has two white Wyandotte siblings, which are so beautiful now. I love them as they are very kind little birds. I never see them peck anyone. So they stay with the little babies as they come through, and cuddle with them, keeping little ones warm. I don't have the heart to separate Gimlet from the other 2 yet. They are all 3 baby sitters and stay in my juvenile cage after groups come out of the brooder. It's a perfect arrangement as Gimlet is not ready for the big world yet. By the way...my husband calls him Skippy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, that's good to hear. It sounds like he's going to be just fine, in spite of his bumpy start
smile.png

Looking at the pic now, it looks like he may have an eye in there? Is it not just glued shut? Just wondering, because we've had that happen to us with a chick once. We wiped carefully along the eye lid with a wet Q-tip and she managed to open her eye.

Back
Top Bottom