Homeschool moms - I need help w/ math curriculum

Quote:
I use it for history, health, and science and we love it! Those books are all very good.
smile.png

I was homeschooled with abecka (DVD course and books) when i was wee and i loved it, i am 21 now and i am taking calclus and physics to help me with the coming (dreaded) SAT test. abecka is the best but its better for ppl who are auditory learners like me
smile.png
(i also have mild dislexica) i like the layout of the subject reviews and lesson shedu.
as i remember the phonics, it was OK but i always complained about getting a headace from all the repition lol.
the math is REALLY good and the teacher explanes it well (if u get the DVD) i dont recommend JUST the books for math.
history, very pro-american (and it teaches them on an "america first" way that is impossible to find in other homeschooling materials and of corse public school) and it also teaches the kids a sence of patroitism when there young.
the american english cource is easy and very "wholesome".
the teachers in all the courses actually know wht there teaching
smile.png
and my favroite teacher mr.mcbride who taught american, world history, civics and life studies (and still does) i email time to time on diffrent subjects.

W loveloveloved the Family Math series out of Berkeley CA. They are produced by graduate educators, cost only $30 or so for both levels of books,and work whther you have a mom who is a math professor or two math-phobic adults. The book presumes that your family, hoever constituted, will do math together.

Not "lessons," but excellent learning all focued on games and household activities and suitable for a wide variety of ages. Btw our son who we used these with when he homeschooled for a while is now entering senior year in HS and taking a third year of calc at a local college.

Google family math and then search for links with UC Berkeley in them, or buy the books off amazon.

best of luck!

I'm starting my 3rd year of homeschooling this year, my children were attending a christian school that used the A.C.E. School of Tomorrow program. I continued this program, because they did very well with it. Its a workbook style system, 12 workbooks per year, per subject, each book contains 100% of information needed to complete it. (Other than scriptures.) Its easy to teach with, and easy to learn from.
caf.gif

This year for my Algebra II I am using Chalkdust DVD program. I like that it is staight forward, simply explained, and there is no time wasted on tangents. My younger sisters (10 and 13) also use the chalkdust programs and do well with them.

I am using a mix of curriculums. I really like Rod and Staff, and am working on getting as much of it as I can. We also are using Hooked On the Bible from the creators of Hooked on Phonics.

I supplement too with workbooks that I have picked up at Walmart. I use those to give the kids extra practice after a lesson.

This is my first year of homeschooling, we just started this past spring, and my older two children are working at becoming independent learners. My daughter (she's 9) gets up every morning and starts her work on her own. In fact, she is working on her Math right now LOL

One thing I love about homeschooling is we don't have to go by grade level. My daughter was struggling with multiplication, then I realized she hasn't really caught on to addition and subtraction, so we have gone backwards in math, working the basics over again.

chicksgalore asked:
Those of you who've mentioned you do Abeka and like it, do you use this for other subjects as well?

Although I'm quite eclectic with what we use, we do use mostly Abeka curriculum, especially in the grade school ages. We've always liked the Abeka books, even my special needs girls are using them and doing very well. I agree with whoever said they are a good visual helper... the pictures and colors help keep the childrens interest.​

For K-5, how much do you actually "make" your student do? We're just starting and I make our sit-down lessons very short, maybe 15-30 mins. per day to include letters and numbers and that's not even every day. We do lots of activities and games rather than workbook work. I want to teach my kids to be disciplined and to know that sometimes they have to do things that they don't want to, but K-5 is a little early to really put the pressure on right? I mean I don't want to give them a negative attitude toward learning either. It's hard to find a happy medium!

Back
Top Bottom