Homeschooled? how come there are so many on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have to admit i could never homeschool my children. i just don't have the patience.
smile.png
Kudo's go to the families that can do it lol

Sue

Quote:
LOL yeah, obviously i am not genetically related to my mother because she pulled it off marvelously but I think I did with my kids. Definitely not patient...

I love my girls, but i just think that I have to be outside of the home. I am not someone who can handle all the stress that homeschooling can bring. i also cannot handle the stress of staying home with the children. I blame that on my mother lol. when i was young she was never really around.. i shouldn't say... young. She was never home when i got home from school, i stayed with a neighbor as early as i can remember.. or my step grandma who hated me.. cuz mom worked nights, so i never really seen her.. even weekends were non existent. So, i never really learned a mother/child relationship. I have a hard time handling the little one. she's a daddy's girl.. she'd rather be with him than me.. unless it's nap time or bedtime. she likes how we lay down, and i put my hand on her hip or over her side while she goes to sleep. and hubby can't do that. she's wide awake until i take over lol.
smile.png
must be a boring mom LOL:)

my oldest son was home schooled until he was in the 5th grade then I had to go back to work. When he was undergoing testing from the local school board (you know to see how bad i screwed his education up) they discovered that in 5th grade his reading and vocabulary was at the same level as a grade 12. his sciences were at a grade 10 level, math was at a grade 9 level...

my second son has been in the public school system all his school life...he is currently in grade 7. His reading is at a grade 4 level, his math is at a low grade 5 level and his sciences are at about a grade 4 level due to the reading issue...

I am kicking my self so hard for having to go back to work!

Quote:
I would start by extending the school year from January through November. Teachers would make more because they actually work a full year. I would give two weeks off a year to use whenever the parents wanted for vacation or whatever.

I would start public education at about the age three and go through 12th grade, I think there is plenty of public funding of college as it is...

Repeating a grade would not be an option... If a kid is not up to the level of other kids his/her age and it is not because of a disability they would attend afternoon/evening school to get caught up...

Athletics would be a privlage and open to anybody who can keep a certian GPA. No tryouts based on athletic ability....

If kids are truant, Parents get a warning, truant again and parents have to attend parenting classes or preform community service.

I would also publicly fund afterschool programs to enrole children in until parents get home from work....

I would give every parent school choice, but to keep public schools competetive with private the voucher will only be good for 75% of a private school's tuition.

Quote:
I would start by extending the school year from January through November. Teachers would make more because they actually work a full year. I would give two weeks off a year to use whenever the parents wanted for vacation or whatever.

I would start public education at about the age three and go through 12th grade, I think there is plenty of public funding of college as it is...

Repeating a grade would not be an option... If a kid is not up to the level of other kids his/her age and it is not because of a disability they would attend afternoon/evening school to get caught up...

Athletics would be a privlage and open to anybody who can keep a certian GPA. No tryouts based on athletic ability....

If kids are truant, Parents get a warning, truant again and parents have to attend parenting classes or preform community service.

I would also publicly fund afterschool programs to enrole children in until parents get home from work....

I would give every parent school choice, but to keep public schools competetive with private the voucher will only be good for 75% of a private school's tuition.

I agree with a few of your points but to make a child go to school in the evening as well as attend school during the day is a little much..its like punishing a child for being different. sometimes a child is a little slower and its not because of a disability..they just learn different. kids need time to be kids too playin the mud and climb trees...

I have a few teachers in my family and my next statement is not meant to flame or stir the pot with ANY teachers out there BUT there are some awesome teachers out there and then there is the less the favorable teachers too! Teachers should be subject to a review process. The review would be conducted by the parents. lets face it we pay them and they spend more time in a day with our children then we do. If a teacher has negative reviews from the parents the employment of that teacher should be up for review by the school board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Would you change the truancy guidelines that most schools now have? I'm not going to go to some parenting class or participate in mandatory community service just because my child was sick for over 3 days but not sick enough to warrant a doctor's visit.

i think age 3 is too young. I also think that you shouldn't make a child go to school at night to "catch up". Children are at different levels even for being the same age. and having a parent go to a program as their child was sick for more than three days/being truant? that's ridiculous.

teachers teach differently, and some are better than others and some absolutely stink. so you can't blame a child for having to "catch up" as you call it.

Having chickens for homeschoolers is a part of learning about responsibility, love for someone/thing elso, agriculture (chicken isn't made in the store), and excitement (eggs in the nest they find each day.) Its great. I homeschool two at the time. Difficult cause I am new at it but fun and worth it. My six year old kept getting sent home and got tired of his frustration.

Quote:
Would you change the truancy guidelines that most schools now have? I'm not going to go to some parenting class or participate in mandatory community service just because my child was sick for over 3 days but not sick enough to warrant a doctor's visit.

That's what the two weeks a year is for, if a kid is sick they are sick. If they are out for more than two weeks in a school year than they are truant and the parents should be held responsible for that.

I don't think 3 is too young to start school...Kids are a sponge at that age, they love to explore and learn and it is a great time to tap into the amazing ability to learn quickly at that age....Probably 85-90 % of three year olds are in daycare or at a babysitters most of the day as it is, so why not send them somewhere where they will benifit?

I don't think making kids catch up by afternoon schooling for a few weeks is a bad thing... I was held back and repeated kindergarden because I could not color inside the lines. (I still don't color inside the lines, but that is irrelevant) Anyway if somebody had the time to spend working with me for a few weeks I could have progressed with my class instead of spending another year in the same grade. I am mostly talking about reading, writing, and math...I think children need a solid foundation in these areas in order to learn history, science etc. more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom