Homeschoolers: Which math Curriculum Saxon or Abeka

Robin'sBrood :

I'm using Teaching Textbooks for my 5th grade DS and will be using it for my DD when she gets to 4th grade. It's FABULOUS and I don't see us using anything else, ever!
smile.png

We just finished TT6 and will be moving on to pre-algebra next year - those of you who havent gotten to a high enough grade yet (it starts at 4 I think) or are, but never used TT - seriously you will never ever go back once you use this curriculum.

Hands down the BEST homeschool Math EVER invented.​

Quote:
We just finished TT6 and will be moving on to pre-algebra next year - those of you who havent gotten to a high enough grade yet (it starts at 4 I think) or are, but never used TT - seriously you will never ever go back once you use this curriculum.

Hands down the BEST homeschool Math EVER invented.

thumbsup.gif
And for anyone wanting a computerized math program, I know from experience that TT math blows SOS math completely away!

I wish TT did more than just math.

Years ago, we used Open Court for grades 1-3. It was very games based and worked very well for my children.

Now we are using Key Curriculum Press for Algebra, and already have their "Discovering Geometry" book for next year. We had been using Saxon, as that is what he used in school, but it was very confusing because of how it was written. I took Calculus and love math, so it wasn't me, it was the book. After a friend who was a math professor said how much he hated the book I felt vindicated and switched.

When we were homeschooling, I used American Schoolhouse Publishers workbooks for math and taught the concepts the way I remembered them. We put the kids in a private school that uses Abeka curriculum. They kids moved over easily from my style to the Abeka style and have done wonderfully. All 3 were a grade level ahead in math from what I was teaching moving into the Abeka curriculum.

Robin'sBrood :

Quote:

Hands down the BEST homeschool Math EVER invented.

thumbsup.gif
And for anyone wanting a computerized math program, I know from experience that TT math blows SOS math completely away!

I wish TT did more than just math.​

I just recently became familiar with TT. I am so glad to hear first hand experience in using it. Thanks!!!
big_smile.png

I loved the Saxon math. Highly recommend it. as a matter of fact, I am going to list a Saxon Math program and manipulatives on here for sale today. I bought it when I was homeschooling my daughter and it turned out she was more advanced in math so I had to order the next level up...so this one has never been used! It is a second grade level.

I would not use another Math program after trying the saxon math...it was great and advanced her really well while not frustrating her.

I bought her entire curriculum from Sonlight online. Great program.

Last edited:
Did you finish the whole book? If not, I'd just keep using it until you've finished it (without worrying about what the "grade" is on the front) since Abeka is such an advanced curriculum.

Yep, he has 2 more pages so he'll be done this week.

The phonics he's a little more behind in, maybe another week or two of that.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom