Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
I don't think I've even heard of them.

They're tiny 4x6 pamphlet style books.They look really insignificant & have simple sentences like, " Mat sat by a cat with a hat." They looked so ridiculous I almost didn't try them, but people swore They worked. They tell you at the beginning what long/short sounds you'll be using & give you examples of those words, so kids get familiar with the long/short concept. They got us to the point where we could FINALLY start reading the Level 1 "I Can Read" books.

iu

iu

My son is a STRONG reader but he HATES to read. My 10 yo Granddaughter highly recommended Magic Tree house books. So far it is not like pulling teeth to get him to read. I want him to enjoy reading but I also want him to read what I want him too but I am willing to let him read for fun this year. He is only 7 and has read about 13 classics but it was hard to get him through them and I don't know how much he retained.

I hated to read too... they put me in special ed type classes to get me to read. My mother even took me to a therapist and she told her there was nothing wrong with me... they just needed to find what I liked to read. I am going with that this year.

My 5 year old is using Teach Your Monster To Read (I have recently seen that the app for tablets is free for apple not for android that I see). All the kids like it but it is geared to younger kids.
I love to read and always have. He doesn't take after me...lol His dad reads for fun when he has time too. He just stresses with reading. Fluency is just not where I'd like to see it. He has to read short stories aloud and then we read a chapter book together daily. He likes the Goosebump books, (personally not a big fan myself). We also started the Haunted Library series which is a cute series.

I haven't been able to find any good reading apps that weren't $$ for his age. All the ones I found will give you like 4 stories for free and then you have to pay and I really haven't been impressed enough with them to spend the $. I can find a ton of preschool/kindergarten programs.

They're tiny 4x6 pamphlet style books.They look really insignificant & have simple sentences like, " Mat sat by a cat with a hat." They looked so ridiculous I almost didn't try them, but people swore They worked. They tell you at the beginning what long/short sounds you'll be using & give you examples of those words, so kids get familiar with the long/short concept. They got us to the point where we could FINALLY start reading the Level 1 "I Can Read" books.

iu

iu
Sounds like the stories on Starfall. He loves the starfall. The beginner stories on there he can blow right through. Put a book in front of him and he tenses right up. Now, when he answers reading comp questions, he usually gets them, but I don't know how because his reading is so choppy.

Have you thought about reading them on a tablet? You can get free ereaders and there are all kinds of kid books for free online. Gutenburge prob didn't spell that right has all their books for free and most work on ereaders. Try some old classics short stories. There is a pave on FB for public domain books and she links to classics for kids all the time. I remember one about royal kids and how they grow up another was about Forrest people. If I can remember when I get home I will look some up for you. I am not a fan of reading online but if.that is what he likes these might work and they are FREE!

Seems this group disscussion slowed down over the summer, im sure your all getting ready to start schooling back up again.

My dd is starting grade 9 this is our 2nd year homeschooling. Last year she did a combo of online programs, time4learning, discoveryk12 and khan academy. She doesnt prefer these programs but deals with them. She is a self motivator and has always gotten A/B grades or average-above average scores. English being her most dificult subject.

Does anyone have any other online cirriculum they suggest trying (non-religious based)

Glad to have found this thread. Trying to look back through all the old posts :)

We homeschool both of our kids & our style is eclectic, leaning towards unschooling. Our son (5th grade) started on ABCya & is now doing Khan Academy, the BrainQuest grade 5 workbook, & a math practice book we found here (k-5 are available for free, might be helpful to someone else): http://catalog.mathlearningcenter.org/taxonomy/term/167

We're following the same basic path with our daughter (1st grade).

They're both mostly self-taught, & we've been reading to them since they were old enough to hold their heads up, which I think helped them with reading & language arts when they got older. They read, journal, & keep reading logs mostly on their own, & we do a combination of worksheets & study guides, & have used Starfall. We also study/practice sign language several times a week & Spanish once a week, & we've been doing the Six Flags reading program every year for the past couple of years.

As far as a secular curriculum, we haven't found one that quite fits & doesn't cost a lot. We tried Lesson Pathways a while back, but I don't think it's been updated in a few years. Last year, I used Ambleside & tried to customize it as best as I could. I liked that everything was all laid out. Also looked at Easy Peasy. We gave up on it & now basically make up our own curriculum.

Last edited:
We just started back this week. My boy is only 3rd grade and reading is his hardest subject. I've heard a lot about the moby max program so we are going to try to incorporate that into our lessons.

Have you tried the Bob Books? They look like they'd be useless & I was very skeptical, but they've taught all three of mine to read.

Thankfully, my daughter is doing very well with reading thus far, so we can pretty much toss anything at her, but...

Check your local library, we just got back from a home school library meeting last night and they talked about the Bob books and even joked about how tattered their copies were from being checked out so often... They even said Hooked on Phonics even though not 'trendy' anymore is still a popular and checked out quite often...

Have you thought about reading them on a tablet? You can get free ereaders and there are all kinds of kid books for free online. Gutenburge prob didn't spell that right has all their books for free and most work on ereaders. Try some old classics short stories. There is a pave on FB for public domain books and she links to classics for kids all the time. I remember one about royal kids and how they grow up another was about Forrest people. If I can remember when I get home I will look some up for you. I am not a fan of reading online but if.that is what he likes these might work and they are FREE!
Yes, we just got an Ipad this summer and we've done a few stories through the trials on the apps and a couple of online sites, but I haven't really researched much for ebooks , thanks for the recommendation.

Glad to have found this thread. Trying to look back through all the old posts :)

We homeschool both of our kids & our style is eclectic, leaning towards unschooling. Our son (5th grade) started on ABCya & is now doing Khan Academy, the BrainQuest grade 5 workbook, & a math practice book we found here (k-5 are available for free, might be helpful to someone else): http://catalog.mathlearningcenter.org/taxonomy/term/167

We're following the same basic path with our daughter (1st grade).

They're both mostly self-taught, & we've been reading to them since they were old enough to hold their heads up, which I think helped them with reading & language arts when they got older. They read, journal, & keep reading logs mostly on their own, & we do a combination of worksheets & study guides, & have used Starfall. We also study/practice sign language several times a week & Spanish once a week, & we've been doing the Six Flags reading program every year for the past couple of years.

As far as a secular curriculum, we haven't found one that quite fits & doesn't cost a lot. We tried Lesson Pathways a while back, but I don't think it's been updated in a few years. Last year, I used Ambleside & tried to customize it as best as I could. I liked that everything was all laid out. Also looked at Easy Peasy. We gave up on it & now basically make up our own curriculum.
We used the Brain Quiz workbooks as a supplement for the last two years. I didn't purchase it this year because so much of it ends up getting not used because I make so many worksheets and use so many different on line sites for worksheets. I do my own curriculum as well. I actually enjoy figuring out what we are going to study and what we are going to use to do so. My son loves starfall. I have always wanted to learn sign language myself. I started a free on line program when my son was little and was doing well, but life got so hectic, that it fell to the side. I looked at Easy Peasy too, but it just didn't fit us.

Thankfully, my daughter is doing very well with reading thus far, so we can pretty much toss anything at her, but...

Check your local library, we just got back from a home school library meeting last night and they talked about the Bob books and even joked about how tattered their copies were from being checked out so often... They even said Hooked on Phonics even though not 'trendy' anymore is still a popular and checked out quite often...
Our library is our best friend...lol. Because I do create our curriculum we depend HEAVILY on the library. HIs problem is with fluency. His phonics are good, he actually had his phonics learned at 3 years, but when he's reading he's having to stop and sound so much that his reading is very choppy. He gets frustrated which just makes it harder on himself.

HIs problem is with fluency. His phonics are good, he actually had his phonics learned at 3 years, but when he's reading he's having to stop and sound so much that his reading is very choppy. He gets frustrated which just makes it harder on himself. 

I have never used it but Hooked on Phonics has expanded beyond just pronunciation and 'phonics' their Master Reader system sounds like it's geared towards the exact issue you are facing... Again I have never used it so I have no idea of how good it works and would never recommend buying it without some hands on personal experience, but if your library has it, it's free to try ;)

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/Product/master-reader-1/

Because I do create our curriculum we depend HEAVILY on the library.

We created our own last year and it worked out well, but in consumed A LOT of time, this year we decided to give an already build curriculum a chance and see what happens...

This year we are trying out 'Moving Beyond the Page' as a primary curriculum and using 'K5 Learning' for reading and math, and we will supplement with our own stuff as well... I picked up a near complete Macmillan seasonal activity pack collection at Goodwill for $10 several years ago knowing we would be home schooling and find it quite useful in providing a broad spectrum of activities and stories revolving around different worldwide religions, holidays and traditions, many of the activities are geared towards a multi-student classroom but there is still plenty of activities that they can do alone... Don't know if I would pay a premium for the collection but if you can find it cheap or free from the library it's something to look into...

It sounds like he still needs to work on the blending of the letter sounds. Teach your monster to read might be right up his ally. I would just keep working on the phonics and then the reading will come. My kids also like word world and the leapfrog videos. My fluent reader still likes to watch and he has been reading for years.

Here is the Public Domain page with the classics.

https://www.facebook.com/PublicDomainHomeschool/?fref=ts

Some other places to get books
Amazon Prime if you are a memeber
Google Play
https://www.gutenberg.org/
https://librivox.org/
https://archive.org/

I have never used it but Hooked on Phonics has expanded beyond just pronunciation and 'phonics' their Master Reader system sounds like it's geared towards the exact issue you are facing... Again I have never used it so I have no idea of how good it works and would never recommend buying it without some hands on personal experience, but if your library has it, it's free to try
wink.png

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/Product/master-reader-1/
We created our own last year and it worked out well, but in consumed A LOT of time, this year we decided to give an already build curriculum a chance and see what happens...

This year we are trying out 'Moving Beyond the Page' as a primary curriculum and using 'K5 Learning' for reading and math, and we will supplement with our own stuff as well... I picked up a near complete Macmillan seasonal activity pack collection at Goodwill for $10 several years ago knowing we would be home schooling and find it quite useful in providing a broad spectrum of activities and stories revolving around different worldwide religions, holidays and traditions, many of the activities are geared towards a multi-student classroom but there is still plenty of activities that they can do alone... Don't know if I would pay a premium for the collection but if you can find it cheap or free from the library it's something to look into...

It sounds like he still needs to work on the blending of the letter sounds. Teach your monster to read might be right up his ally. I would just keep working on the phonics and then the reading will come. My kids also like word world and the leapfrog videos. My fluent reader still likes to watch and he has been reading for years.

Here is the Public Domain page with the classics.

https://www.facebook.com/PublicDomainHomeschool/?fref=ts

Some other places to get books
Amazon Prime if you are a memeber
Google Play
https://www.gutenberg.org/
https://librivox.org/
https://archive.org/
Thanks guys, I'll have to look into those.
big_smile.png

Wow! I just came across this thread and I'm so excited!
We just started homeschooling my 12 year old son with DS and we're loving it. He has a twin brother (no disability) who still goes to public school.
I'll be glad to get insight from everyone on tips and ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom