Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
Wow! I just came across this thread and I'm so glad!
We just started homeschooling my 12 year old son with DS and we're living it. He has a twin brother (no disability) who still goes to public school.
I'll be glad to get insight from everyone on tips and ideas.
I want to move to Texas to homeschool!! That is my goal someday....lol

Welcome to homeschooling!

Does anyone have a good sight for copy work? I am looking for cursive copy work that they can trace. WOULD love for it to have some meaning, like quotes. I have some bible verses we have been using but I would like something else to shake it up.

I have changed things up for the kids this year. We have lots of things they can do for math and science so I made little cards and folded them up and put them in a ziplock back and they can pick from the bag what they will do for those subjects. You could do that for a day or for the week. For math we use big brainz Timez attack but I have other websites for just math, math bingo, workbooks, whatever you use. Same kind of thing with science, science mystery, nova show, MSB and worksheet, Bill Nye and worksheet.... what ever you like. I feel like it gives the kids a bit more control. Some things are constant. The little one has to do Teach your monster to read, both have to do copy work, states and presidents. You can add to you options or take away.

Does anyone have a good sight for copy work?  I am looking for cursive copy work that they can trace.  WOULD love for it to have some meaning, like quotes.  I have some bible verses we have been using but I would like something else to shake it up.

I don't know what grade level you are looking for but we used the 'free' ones from this site last year for our kindergartner...

http://www.k5learning.com/cursive-writing-worksheets

Has anyone tried duolingo.com for foreign languages? If so do you have any comments about it?

I heard about it on letshomeschoolhighschool.com. It is free and offers many different languages. I signed up my 9th grader today, shes thinking of trying German.

Has anyone tried duolingo.com for foreign languages? If so do you have any comments about it?

I heard about it on letshomeschoolhighschool.com. It is free and offers many different languages. I signed up my 9th grader today, shes thinking of trying German.
My 7 yo has been on it. He likes it but it advances pretty quick for him (and me after 2 semesters in college). I was able to help but it gave me a headache after a bit because I had to spell everything for him. I do think it would work well for older kids (10 and up probably) I would like for mine to learn spanish, german, french. They are easier as you get more languages under your belt.

They are easier as you get more languages under your belt.

I have told myself that I will learn at least a 2nd language while teaching them to my children... I took one year of Spanish in high school but didn't take the 2nd year because I actually had to study and do homework to pass that class and Spanish wasn't a priority on my schedule at the time... I was much more interested in spending my study time on AP physics, biology, chemistry and whatever advanced math class was available, as well as packing on enough credits to graduate in 3 years so I could coast through my senior year only needing to pass gym :)

I am now (or have been over the years) fluent in about a dozen computer programming languages so I'm hoping a 2nd spoken language comes easier this time around...

Can't give any input on what to use though, but I do have an older set of Spanish Rosetta Stone that I picked up used at Goodwill a few years back so I might start with that...

My 7 yo has been on it.  He likes it but it advances pretty quick for him (and me after 2 semesters in college).  I was able to help but it gave me a headache after a bit because I had to spell everything for him.  I do think it would work well for older kids (10 and up probably)  I would like for mine to learn spanish, german, french.  They are easier as you get more languages under your belt.

My dd did a practice lesson and she said it was really fast as well. Im hoping it will work for her over time and she picks up a little. We lived in Germany for a few years when she was small so dh and i know a few words and sentences, i wished we learned more while we were there so we could help her more.

I have told myself that I will learn at least a 2nd language while teaching them to my children... I took one year of Spanish in high school but didn't take the 2nd year because I actually had to study and do homework to pass that class and Spanish wasn't a priority on my schedule at the time... I was much more interested in spending my study time on AP physics, biology, chemistry and whatever advanced math class was available, as well as packing on enough credits to graduate in 3 years so I could coast through my senior year only needing to pass gym :)

I am now (or have been over the years) fluent in about a dozen computer programming languages so I'm hoping a 2nd spoken language comes easier this time around...

Can't give any input on what to use though, but I do have an older set of Spanish Rosetta Stone that I picked up used at Goodwill a few years back so I might start with that...

I've heard Rosetta Stone was very good.

Back
Top Bottom