Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

No NO...
the technicians to pull the lines for FIOS internet connection....

my kids never miss school..they go to a public school, but I supplement their learning at home.....a day missed at school can never be replaced....another downside to public school.... and a PLUS for homeschooling!!!

Yep. It feel like the world stops when our internet is down. I keep telling myself that people have done this for 100+yrs without computers, but honestly, I have know idea how they managed it. :oops:

Northern Applachia: Here's my thoughts for you...
Join HSLDA for about $100. They will give you legal covering, teaching support and answer any of your questions.
Find another homeschooling family to help figure out the nuances of homeschooling in your location.
Figure out what style learner your brother is ie. projects vs. test, oral vs. written, better in am or pm?, can sit or prefers hanging off the couch or citing the facts while running around the yard or trampoline, Can read for hours or prefers the comics, easily writes or struggles to write or even has difficulty physically writing or getting the words from his head to the page, How are his study skills? How are his job skills? How is his executive functioning skills? All of this will help you figure out how he functions best and enable you to get more from him with less time. Will he willingly allow you to teach him? Or is he willing to be responsible and learn while you direct what's next. He should be an independent learner if he is in 9-10th (or higher!) grades.
Lastly see if you have a community college that allows dual enrollment and investigate that. Some students truly do sooo much better in that type of environment that a high school one. He can then get high school and college credit.
Hope this helps and this brings you both closer.

Dual enrollment. Ask admissions? My son at tech school has limited class options. If he had gone to reg HS then community college would be possible BUT not get the support to be the independent learner that the tech school develops. Sigh.

I thought that most community colleges were open enrollment? You just take a test to see what level English and math you need to take.

Well, and have a high school diploma, or GED. Is he not getting one or the other?

I thought that most community colleges were open enrollment? You just take a test to see what level English and math you need to take.

Well, and have a high school diploma, or GED. Is he not getting one or the other?
Ho estly...I do t know. Our local high school makes a big deal of havi g a special relationship with the cc, like only specific schools have the special privilege.

Looks like I need to email the lo cal cc

maybe they are talking about a "jump start" program, where you can take college classes while still in high school for super little money.

Not sure who gets to participate in the "Jump Start" program.

They tout it as college credit while in high school.
I have heard that most high school grads are not ready for college. This is lack of study skills, time ma agreement and difficulty of course work.....all need to be developed for college success.

On another note. Dept of Ed has a great web site to compare colleges. Not perfect. But worth looking at.

Here a radio station is running a series on education.

Note able is that teens get there release of melatonin, the sleep hormone at 11pm. AND they need a MINIMUM 8 hrs sleep. Focused on need to change start time for public school for teens but thought this relevant to home schoolers to optimize best study time.

I have heard that most high school grads are not ready for college. This is lack of study skills, time ma agreement and difficulty of course work.....all need to be developed for college success.

dunno. My eldest, in his first year, is just at a tiny community college. I don't think he would make it if he were living on his own...but living at home I think he will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom