Homeschooling

1. Public schools were lacking in their treatment of my children. DD was being tested for lupus and the teachers were told she couldn't do P.E. so they made her sit in the office instead of computer lab, or allowing her gym time. Older DD got into some trouble at the same time, so we pulled them and started homeschooling. They are better for it.

2. Difficulties were High School geometry, but thanks to some GREAT advisors, we pulled through and DD got an A in that class.

3. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. DD's state test scores have skyrocketted! Older DD graduated last year. Scored a 26 on the ACT. Academically I found it to be rewarding for them.

4. Everything from sleeping late to hands on experiences for them not found in most classrooms. It allowed us to focus on their strengths while working on their weaknesses. Socialization was customized to each childs wants/needs. It was even CHEAPER than going to public school!

5. I did not have the option of working a regular job.

6. Try it for just one year with an accredited school backing their education, one year is a small committment. We let DD go back to public on a trial basis, and I have to keep reminding myself..it's just a year, because it has been horrible after knowing how good of an education she WAS getting in comparison and we're being nickel and dimed to DEATH by the school wanting money for everything under the sun! Picky supply lists wanting 7 $8 folders for one class and the second week there was a $50 field trip...just ridiculous costs IMO. Homeschool was around $40 monthly, and WE picked the trips and supplies!

OH... another thing... my kids are learning what they'll need to survive... well not hunting and gathering... but basic cooking, planning to do basic sewing, household chores, wrapping their heads around the actual costs of things... clothing, food, etc. Budgeting... that sort of thing.

Even back when I took Home Etc... 8th Grade so that woulda been in... ohhh 93-94 these things weren't really covered... we DID sew a pillow, that was a good lesson... but our cooking... our "Full Meal" was taking prepackaged crescent rolls and rolling some ham and cheese slices into them... that was their idea of a main course. NO info at all on budgeting, balancing a checkbook, how to BUY those groceries... none of the things you need to know or you'll be in deep doodie when you move out on your own...

And not that the 90's were as Suzie Homemaker as the 50's or anything but I'm guessing that if 'cooking' was defined as that recipe back then... well I can only imagine what it'd be nowadays... when there are 1st graders who don't even know what a potato looks like because their parents don't EVER cook anything... and that doesn't even include the bits about how plants and animals are being raised for food, how they're processed, etc. How could a school show Food, Inc for example and NOT have the kids freaking out about their cafeteria food? It would cause huge problems I'm guessing so instead the just leave out that little detail, keep the kids ignorant, and then they enter the 'real world' with those things already in their heads... cook just like the folks, premade, order in, etc... if they ever wanted to cook on their own they'd have to start from scratch.

Mine at least are getting a comprehensive, compared to PS, 'class' on these things... so that even if all they want to be when they grow up is a regular laborer they'll be able to make it work, shop within their means, etc... and if they go off to college to be a doctor, they won't eat well the first week, and then have no funds for the other three of the month... stuff like that.

Part of that is my own experience... not the cooking so much, I had Grands and Great Grands in addition to Mom... but the budget stuff? NO training at all... we had to fumble and bumble and just made a mess of things because neither of us had a clue... doing a lot better now, but in the early days it was a mess. If I can help prevent the kiddos from making those same errors simply by sharing some knowledge I will gladly... they'll make their own mistakes, but at least they won't be through ignorance.

Whoa, can I not make a post that doesn't ramble?! Sorry about that.

edit... Cindiloohoo... that is AWESOME about the ACT scores, congrats! And I hear you about the job thing... I did work part time, lunch rush, while the kiddos were in school... quit for summer... now they just call me in if someone's sick, on vacation, that sort of thing... Bosslady Messaged me asking if I wanted to work (prolly the same ol' 11-1 or 2) and I had to tell her "We're homeschooling so unless the kiddos can come with I can't right now." because it wouldn't be worth it to pay for day care (assuming you can find day care for school age kids?) for 10-15hrs per week at minimum wage... all I earned would go to day care... and the kids wouldn't have dedicated class time either. So... yeah... that's kind of a bummer, especially since the cost of everything has gone up... and with Christmas coming... but even still, I'm a bargain hunter so we'll be okay... and it's still totally worth it to me.

Last edited:
Just as a side note Booksamillion/Bookland has an Educator's Discount card for free that gets you 10% off of all their learning materials. I have one for my kids, and they never expire. Just tell the person at the checkout you homeschool and are interested in signing up. It has saved us a ton of cash on globes, books, maps for geography, etc. etc. Just thought maybe those who already do this would like this information
smile.png

Quote:
happy-038.gif
Sound's like you and your Hubby are both right! Yes many school districts are "dumbing down" our kids, yes bullying is a problem for all kids except the ones that fit into the top cliques. Boredom is a HUGE problem! Yes all kids need repitition in some things but to have to hear/do something fifty times when you got it the first time is a horrible experience for anyone (they have to teach to the slowest in the class)! Teaching to the test has been a dismal failure in the public school system.

Also you are right! You will have to stay on him to finish his paces (but as you pointed out you already do this) but the work will be more interesting and you will understand why it needs to be done (unlike the many times you must have scratched your head over an assignment given to him in school). As far as excelling in every subject... there aren't any teachers out there that do that, and some excell at the subject but can't teach it well at all! There are a ton of resources on-line to help in this area and you may find that science is a whole lot more interesting than you remembered!

OK, I'm biased. I taught science for several years in the public school system and had several students come to me saying, "Mrs. Miller, I hated science until you started teaching here!" My answer was always "If you hated science before it was because it was not being taught right! Science is facinating and covers everything in our lives!". Seriously, once you and your son start exploring science and doing some interactive stuff (yes make a mess, have some fun) you'll be surprised how quickly you will learn and enjoy science. So you learn together. There's nothing wrong with that!

Can your Hubby help with math if that is not a strong area for you? Middle school and high school math does get more challenging and if you don't have a strong sense of what comes before this, it can be hard to catch up quickly. Math is a building block subject and requires a good understanding of the basics first then a clear understanding of all the lessons that build on each other from that point on. I have tutored in math as well and always find that something was missing from an earlier point. Once I find out where the weak link is, it is a breeze after that. Still language arts was not my strong point and with a lot of research, and a couple of extra college courses, I handled it easily. I'm sure you can too!

You sound like an intelligent person and you are being very honest and realistic about the whole situation. I say try it for a while and if it becomes way too frustrating you can always try plan B!
old.gif

Last edited:
1. What made you decide to homeschool your children?
2. What difficulties have you had?
3. How's it working, would you do it again?
4. What do you like about it?
5. What do you not like about it?
6. Any other comments?

Well, after reading Potterwatch's post I am about to be redundant.

1. He had a teacher that really should have retired twenty years earlier. When he kept saying he'd be better of dead so that he 'would not be a burden to society'- IN SECOND GRADE!!! Where did he hear THAT!?!you bet we pulled him out. He had anywhere from two to six hours of homework each night -IN SECOND GRADE!!! I was doing her job anyway.

2. He doesn't really have the best ability to listen to my seven year old voice without tuning me out.
Also, I felt I had to do it the way I was taught. I wish I had lightened up a little. Being active in everything we do is a good education in it's own right. Having him around when we do things, and answering his questions in a thoughtful way, has given him a real hand up in life. I am not an unschooler by any means. He would have self educated in Lego and Transformers. ADD -I finally found out that a claritin and a Mountain Dew works wonders first thing in the morning.

3. I would do it again only because he is about grown up already. When did that happen? I was paying attention! I was making serious effort not to allow the years to slip by...and they did anyway. I think It would be even worse if we had not had the opportunity to be a close family.

I yelled A LOT! I pulled out most of the hair on my head, it was agonizingly frustrating. I have a high level of education, but not IN education. I don't speak 'hard headed little boy' well. But, that too passed and now he is doing well maintaining his own work. I was his teacher, his mom, and his conscience. I was worn plum out.

4. I like getting to do things when the rest of the world is in school. Were were/are self employed and that made a kayak trip on the river (on a Wednesday) doable and less crowded.

5. I spent a lot of money on things that did not work for him. Go to a convention in the spring and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING! look, listen, and leave the Credit cards at home. Get all the info and then ask moms. Buy USED curriculum! Buy e-bay! look on craigslist! - and that said, the BEST thing that I did was buy Calvert for the first two years. they teach you how to teach. It is all there. but after you get that down- $$$!!
Find a homeschool group-two, three, four... find one that fits YOUR personality. Homeschooling is lonely for moms. The kids will enjoy all the kids, you need a crowd you are happy with. We had too much on our plates too many times. That 'lack of socialization' whine is ridiculous! They have friends of all ages. Only in school are your peers all the same age. He does well with babies to grandparents. (He still isn't wild about baby drool though.)

6. It is the best thing I wish I had never done. Or the worst thing I am glad I did. You will second guess everything you did and did not do. And then they will go off into the world with you Knowing that they got the best childhood that you could have given them, and it works okay. It won't be easy if you do it right. If it were easy, then they'd be loving public school too. Nothing worth doing well is ever easy.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

I homeschool my 2 oldest (1st and 3rd grades) and have from the beginning. My youngest are 2 and 4 but I plan to homeschool them too.

Yes, your house won't be as clean. Yes, there will be moments when you are jealous when you see your friends with "free" time once their kids have gone to school for the day. But knowing exactly what they are being taught and giving them opportunities to explore what they really love is wonderful. When we started I told DH I could NOT teach music or art, so we have them enrolled in music classes and art classes. Later I know I won't be able to teach chemistry or advanced math, but there's a great co-op here, as well as a wonderful community college.

Please don't buy into the fallacy that homeschoolers are ill-socialized. In school, your kids are expected to interact pretty much entirely with other people exactly their own age. What kind of real-world socialization is that? As adults they will never again be in such an artificial demographic environment, and I'd rather have my kids "socialized" to be able to talk to people of any age, not just their peers. My definition of socializing is giving my kids plenty of opportunity to interact with old people, toddlers, and everyone in between, especially those from whom my kids can learn something by example. In school my kids would be "socialized" by their peers to love SpongeBob or vampires or video games or drugs or whatever the latest peer craze happens to be. Instead my oldest daughter (8 years old) loves -- LOVES -- chickens. She devours nonfiction books about them, talks intelligently with adult chicken fanciers, and brings her birds to local elementary schools to make presentations to younger kids. She sells eggs to my friends, and talks to the lady at the feed store about what feed to buy (which she buys with her own money, which she made selling the eggs). She's saving her own money to buy an incubator. Now, I don't KNOW that none of that would happen if she was in school 6 hours a day, but I suspect she would have neither the time or the passion to pursue something so unusual (at least around here) once the latest fad swept the classroom. Not to mention the hours wasted on homework.

We are pretty rigorous about their curriculum (Ambleside Online) -- we're not "unschoolers" -- but we still find lots of time for the kids to pursue their passions. And the flexibility can't be beat.

Wishing you the best with whatever path you choose!

Pineapple Mama...........you are not babbling. (or if you are, I'm enjoying it
big_smile.png
) I graduated in 1990 (hubby in 1989) and we made a lot of the same mistakes you described. (living within your means being the main one) When we moved out of our parents house, we ate A LOT of macaroni and cheese, so I've been there, done that! I was an independent turd to the core, so when my mom told me I'd obey her rules under her roof, 3 months after I turned 18 I moved OUT! And I learned what REAL LIFE meant, and it's not all fun, play and easy! I gained a new appreciation for my mom then!

Cindyloohoo.....Thanks for the information! My DH has accumulated a "library" (he's been collecting the classics for about a year now, like Moby Dick, The Three Muskateers, all of Mark Twains books, etc) but I'm sure we'll be needing the Geography maps and such.

SunnyDawn.........You know just what to say! I do feel we both have valid points. The key is to get him to agree to "try" it for a year. He's the type that once his mind is made up, there's no changing it. I'm pretty strong in math (went all the way through Calculus myself) but he's a heck of a lot stronger than I am. He can do complicated math in his head, stuff that I need paper and a pencil to do. I did HATE geometry, but luckily, he's extremely strong there. And he's strong in physics.

I don't know California at all, being from PA but it may be worth looking into cyber school. My DD is 5, she started Kindergarten with PA Cyber charter school 4 weeks ago and is finishing up her ninth week of material right now. The computer, printer, books and all school supplies are given to the students, it is considered a public school so things need to be supplied. There were a couple choices of curriculum to follow and the nicest thing, I think, is being able to move at her pace. Right now, she's sailing along but should the time come that she needs to slow down for some subject that will be ok too. It is a great option for doing things at home, around your schedule, but still being accountable and making sure all the state requirements are being met so there isn't any issue down the line with attendance or testing or things. I don't know if other states have similar options, but I would totally recommend this for anyone living in PA as we have found it to be the perfect solution rather than taking a bright, intelligent learner and sticking her in a classroom where they have to teach to the lowest common denominator. Even the local private school is still working on beginning handwriting skills and my daughter just did a lesson on scientific method (hypothesis, experiment and conclusion)

Just tossing that out there as a possible other option, if full on home schooling is seeming overwhelming. (And it did for us, so I'm definitely not trying to say anything insulting!)

Good luck
smile.png

Quote:
Sounds like you've got it covered! I think it will work out great for you. You're already way ahead of most folks that take this job on!
caf.gif

BTW I taught and home schooled in California. They are pretty fair. It's easy to sign up and you have a lot of freedom when it comes to how you want to teach. You just have to agree to cover all the major diciplines and you need to resubmit your paperwork each year. I heard they were planning on changing the requirements though and I haven't kept up on where that went since I no longer teach and my kids are all grown. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
"Registering" in Texas is simple... you take your kids out of public school/never put them in.

You can, if you wish, notify the school... you can give them a letter stating you plan to HS and to 'assure' them that the Texas Supreme Courts rules will be met... which is Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and Citizenship... in a real manner... not a sham. But again, there's no law saying you have to notify them, even if they were enrolled. I did, just so they wouldn't fret. There are some good folks at that school that would, but in the end, according to law it was my choice to do so.

Texas is pretty keen on the idea of Parent's Rights ... supports them... Governor and SC support them... Texas Education Agency contacted every district and informed them of the rulings involved and NOT to harass HSers... etc.

Consider myself lucky to be in a state that has that much freedom of choice.

But I did thoroughly research that, just to be on the safe side, understand the laws, know what I needed to do before I made the move to HS... I'd advise anyone to do the same.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom