Homeschooling

1. What made you decide to homeschool your children?

There were a number of reasons. The most pressing one was that my youngest son has very High Functioning Autism (Aspergers). Institutional learning, especially in the upper grades, was a set up for failure for him. He got decent grades, but the emotional cost was tremendous. There was breakdown after breakdown. We did have services for him, but their focus was on him getting through the school system, where as mine was on him becoming an independent functional adult. They aren't necessarily the same thing. I am not faulting the school or the system, but it was the wrong environment for my son. After speaking with adult members of my family with Aspergers, as well as their parents, and a couple of friends and their parents, I found that one of the defining issues was that they had a very very difficult time in middle and High School. Those issues caused depressions that they have been struggling to come out of for years and really have shaped many of the problems that they have as adults just dealing with society and every day life. I could see my youngest son heading in the same direction and we've decided to take a different approach.

My eldest son (Junior in HS at this point) saw through the BS in the school system and decided to change it up a bit. The tipping point was when his Honors English class was forced to read To Kill a Mockingbird. Yes, it's a fine book, but for a child who read "100 Years of Solitude" in 8th grade, it was a bit simplistic. We did research to see the requirements to attend college without a diploma, and it was totally doable.

2. What difficulties have you had?

Trying to get my Aspie to have a regular sleep schedule, but that's more of an Autism thing than a homeschool thing. Another challenge is that I have a tendency to stress about whether or not I am doing things "right". I really don't want to mess up my children, and have to constantly remind myself that it will all be okay. They are happy and learning, I don't think that we could ask for anything better.

3. How's it working, would you do it again?

Like anything, there is good and bad about it. It's work, make no mistake. But, I was always very involved in my children's education, so that work is something that I was used to. My youngest son has not had a breakdown since we started homeschooling. I check in with him about his mental state regularly, and he assures me that he is happy.

4. What do you like about it?

The freedom to tailor a program to my children's needs. It is such fun to get my creative juices flowing and to work with them on coming up with ideas. Another unexpected bonus is that my sons seem to be getting along much better than they used to when they were in school. I don't know why, it may have something to do with them each being less stressed or that they now work together on learning activities. Sometimes, they even seem to enjoy each other *gasp!*

5. What do you not like about it?

At times I miss being in the classroom. I was an art teacher before we pulled our youngest out of school. I don't regret our choice, we are all much better off for it, but it would be disingenuous to pretend that I haven't given something up.

6. Any other comments?

We are fortunate here, the school district is welcoming of homeschool students. My sons can take classes at the local high school if they choose to, as well as at the local Community College. My eldest son will start at the Community College next year. We have been able to have the best of both worlds.

Check into your local homeschool groups, there are many that meet up regularly. I'm sure that there will be people in the group who would be more than happy to talk to you about your concerns as you consider your options.

Last edited:
Homeschooling in California is fairly easy. Legally, you don't ever homeschool your child. They are either enrolled in a public school, charter school, or private school. The public school option is to sign up with a k12 program where your child is still a public school student, they just do their work at home and meet with someone from the school once a week. Charter schools can be similar. They range from giving you the curriculum they want you to use, to giving you money and allowing you to pick your own curriculum from their approved vendor list. With a charter, you usually meet with your assigned person once a month.

The private school option is the one that we have chosen. You register with the California Dept. of Education every year as a private school. It is a simple online form that takes less than 15mins to complete. You also have to keep attendance (basically you can just print out a calendar for the year and state that any marked days are days the student was absent, since your children are always with you, they are never absent). You have to keep immunization records or the waiver for immunizations, and a course of study which is basically just a paper saying what subjects you offer. Other than making sure you have those things on file at your house and filing the online form every year, there is no reporting. It is a very easy way to homeschool in California and allows you the maximum amount of freedom.

I just randomly came across this thread and would like to chime in!

We moved to an area where the school wasn't so hot. I visited, talked to teachers, and saw that they didn't have the school ready to go. Lots of bells went off, and I realized I couldn't leave my kids there and feel confident about anything.

Staying organized is difficult. The books and materials seem to multiply out of nowhere. It can get lonely for you as an adult if you don't make time to meet up with other families or get yourself and the kids out of the house regularly.

I also find that it's hard to get the kids playing with other kids, because they seem to bond in school settings better. I'm looking for other homeschooling families to meet with, so the kids don't feel cut off. We signed up to lots of activities as well, so they get to be around other kids and have teachers other than myself.

Yes, absolutely. Someone else here hit the nail on the head - you only have your kids for a short time, then they're off to college, and work. Why not spend this time with them if you're up for it?

We like it. We like that we are part of each other's lives and we like getting to decide what to study next. I definitely think they feel more engaged in what they're learning and they tend to form their own opinions about things, rather than parrot what they heard some kid at school say. I guess by being in a really small pond, they are the big fish, so they decide what's cool, what's dumb, etc.

I like that they are closer to each other as siblings. They learn to work out their problems with each other.

I LOVE that we get public spaces to ourselves during the school year. We don't have a set schedule to adhere to. So if an art exhibition is in town, we can go. If it's cheaper and more fun to go to an amusement park in late September rather than August, then that's when we go. Doctor's appointments and sick days don't mess up anyone's schedule.

Sometimes the grown up needs socialization too. It's important to meet with other families if you can and to get out and about and not just stay shut up in your own house every day. We are well known at the library, the museums, the parks. We are on a first name basis with the local park rangers. The kids really get to SEE the community they live in when you move them through it regularly.

6. Any other comments?

If you don't feel up to it, don't force yourself to do it. Maybe plan some more educational/family time together on the weekends. Your kids will still get the benefit of being with you and learning something new.

I'm curious, you started this thread some time ago. What did you decide?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think I'll try it for a year and see how it goes. I'm just not happy with the changes my oldest son's school has made. We don't want to pull him out mid year, so we'll be preparing to start this in the fall.

I think homeschooling is a fantastic idea. After my 4 yr old daughter (at the time) started school and was being bullied by a 3rd grader I began to think about homeschooling.

I finally made the decision when he would have a meltdown as she saw the bus approaching. I don't know how many times I called the school board and the principal and transportation regarding the matter. And it resulted in me getting a lawyer and having him go down tot he school and serve the principal, the 3rd graders and the school board papers that indicated a law suit would take place if my daughter was bullied ever again, and that since they could not fix the issue I would do it once and for all and have the child charged with harassment. she didn't finish J/k I took her out and continued her schooling at home and even registered my home with the Canadian home schooling association so I could get the same books/materials teachers got from Scholastic canada.

Half way through S/K while my daughter was ahead in reading and math etc...she seemed miserable. We live in a small town and there are barely any children in this area. I tired swimming classes and art classes, hip hop, church events...you name it in order to get her to socialize with other kids but she seemed to always hide behind me and not even say a word.

I sat down with her and her dad and we asked her what she wanted to do, we explained everything and she said she wanted to go back to school to her friends, int he end I called the school back and they welcomed her with open arms.
I would have loved to continue homeschooling her. But Dh and I had agreed that if she ever had an issue and asked to go back she should have her decision heard and seen from her perspective.

As soon as she went back her teacher sent a letter home. He said he couldn't believe how well she could read and how much she enjoyed doing class work. At the end of the year he also told us my daughter was his star pupil. she is now in grade 2 and we have only had 1 bullying incident that took place last week, where a boy in her class tried to punch her after she stood up to him for bullying her other friend. that was quickly handled and all is back to normal.

I haven't completely given up on teaching her things, in fact we spend summer learning about biology and science and some astrology with dad (but she wouldn't even know it) and she has all these books which are English, math, French, science, and art. She loves to do them to her its not homework but fun activity books :-D and I am happy to say she sits there and shows her little brother a lot of it. I never have to tell her to go do it, she does it on her own, and in fact I have to tell her to put them away or she would finish them in a day!!!

I have homeschooled my daughter who is now 11 since the beginning. She's never gone to any school.

My husband's job at the time helped me to decide on homeschooling. She was 4 at the time but if I would have put her in preschool, we wouldn't have had the flexibility to travel to see husband/daddy. My mom had a neighbor who suggested it, I looked into it and never looked back.

Nothing really. Yes, there are days that we get on each other's nerves but from what I've seen from kids who go to school, that happens too. I think it's more of a personality conflict between us as we are very much the same.

It's going great! I will do it as long as it's working for our family. Dd went through a faze of wanting to go to school but is very much over that now. She enjoys and appreciates her free time since she can complete school in a much quicker time. She's currently outside playing with her guinea pig.

Everything, really. But specifically that dd can work at her own pace, whether ahead or behind and feel comfortable with that. It also gives us lots of flexibility in our lives! Also my daughter dances 4 nights a week and they are late nights. We don't have to get up at the crack of dawn the next day so it's doesn't bother me so much. We do get up around 8 still but kids her age are getting up at 6:30 and I know she wouldn't be able to manage that kind of schedule. Plus no homework!

This has nothing to do with homeschooling and everything to do with having an only child. I do wish she had a sibling to do projects with as I think she would enjoy them more. She's not that into them on her own and some projects work better with more than 1 person.

Off to go read the other comments now.
smile.png

Many things!! I think the school system "dumbs down" kids to keep everyone at the same "safe" level in society and really snuffs out their individuality. We can't afford to send all of our kids to christian school and we want them having a christian education. I don't agree with the amount of time kids spend in school, it's waaay too much. I gave birth to my kids, they are mine and I want to raise them.
smile.png
I could go on and on....

None yet, except that I have a very clingy one year old so we have to fit schoolwork in when he is sleeping in the morning or napping.

It's going great and I would love to homeschool my kids through HS!

Flexibility in our schedule, spending all day with my kids instead of a few hours a night, teaching them our values and being in control of who/what influences them on a daily basis. Plus we have plenty of time for sports, dance, and weekly field trips with our homeschool group....we get to do many stimulating and fun things we would not have time for if the kids were in school.

I have very little extra time, we're so busy with everything that the housework never seems to be done. That kind of drives me nuts, but it's worth it.

6. Any other comments?
If one parent wants to homeschool and the other does not, the family should at least try it and see how it goes. The local school is just a phone call away if it doesn't work. My hubby was not on board when I decided that I wanted to homeschool, he was very much against it for fear of "socialization issues" and the kids getting behind. But he gave in when he realized I wasn't backing down and now I think he's seeing things differently. Just last week our 4 year old neighbor was over here running his potty mouth and my annoyed hubby said "I'm glad we're homeschooling." I never thought I'd hear those words come out of his mouth, lol.
I've joined a local homeschool group that has field trips almost every week and we have a huge homeschool building right down the street (1 of only 2 in the nation!) with tons of extracurricular classes, lessons, tutors, a bookstore, etc. We have so many resources here that I get almost overwhelmed with all of the things we get to do! If you are going to homeschool I strongly advise finding a local group to join, you'll find a lot of support and hopefully make some great friends and you'll get to do lots of fun things with the kids. I'm amazed at how wonderful and nice the families on our group are, I swear that homeschooling families (most anyway) are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Research curriculums, know what you must have and what you don't want. I am not the most organized person in the world, far from it, so I needed a complete package with lessons laid out for each day so I can just pull out the teacher guide and go with it. I can't imagine putting together every subject and daily plans myself, I wanted it done and laid out for me. I chose My Father's World. It's perfect for us, it's Bible based and the lessons are not too long each day. Plus the price was great.
Good luck with whatever you decide!!
smile.png

One new point just came up yesterday... DD might be starting to develop... maybe... at the ripe old age of 8. Meaning, as I've feared, that she'll take after DH's side... dangit all to the ninth circle... but anywho one point, at least I don't have to fret over her having to deal with that in PS when most 8 year olds aren't having to as yet. A small thing perhaps, but I know kids can be cruel... add in that they aren't going through the same... boys AND girls... and it increases... so glad of that anyways.

I feel the same,my son(10) is the only-child and some times it is very smooth and easy to homeschool but some projects are easier when you have 2 or more.I really would not have it any other way!My son went to PS for 2 yrs then I had enough with the school sysytem.I had learned about the true way the wree teaching and pushing kids through grades just to get them out of that grade and the budget was nothing and now the Sate took over.I want to be the one who teaches him things by some other person,we are the parents to teach them wrond from right.I don't need my child learning from other kids about sex and drugs.There is enough bad things going on in this world so whatever I can control I will.That is our right as a parents TO PROTECT OUR PRECIOUS CHILDREN(the special gift of God)SOCIALIZATION~Okay why do we send our children to school to socialize,they get into trouble by talking or playing out loud.There is plenty inyour community to do and groups to join.Try to find homeschool co-ops or a fmily that you can become friends with.Don't give up the end result is well worth it.
Blessings~
wink.png

Quote:

I just started this year with my daughter (kindergarten), we are doing 'outreach" through the school, so we meet with the teacher one day a week, and on fridays she is in friday school (4 hours with said teacher and the other children in the program for art, p.e. and "literacy" games). I was a little scared, with curriculum choices etc, so I really love that the etacher picked the curriculum, and I love meeting with her one hour a week so she can"test" Janelle and double check her progress.

~Class size is too big IMO.
~ I know that no one cares more for my childs education than me so I think I am the logical choice to teach her.
~I think 7 hours is extreme for a 5 year old to be in school
~ I would like to have some control over her "friend" options
~ keeping myself flexible enough for homeschooling has been challenging to me...howveer if I'm too flexible it frazzles me...so balance I guess
~ We are super busy, not complaining, more of an observation. Socialization is obviously a concern so we are involved in many groups and clubs
ing, would you do it again?
~ I plan on homeschooling for 4 years and then re-assessing. We are having soo much fun, she is learning in leaps and bounds.
~ I love that I get to influence her a little bit more than other parents might get the chance to be in their childs life. I love that my husband supports us (absolutely necessary), I love that I can actually be a part of her education
~ lol can't think of anything
6. Any other comments?
~ we are technically enrolled in the school, so we have teacher support, the curriculum is paid for, and weekly check ups. I really like having that available.

Back
Top Bottom