Homespun maple syrup

Ole and Lena

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Wright Co Minnesota
Made our first attempt at making our own syrup this year. We have silver maples, supposedly low-yielding but figured we'd try them.

Rather than buying all the 'official' tapping gear, I jerry rigged it with 1/2" plastic plumbing line and splice fittings for the taps and tees to join 2 lines on the doubled trees. I used 2 gallon Ziplocs to collect the sap. Total cost per tree was about $3 for 2 taps, the line and most of the fittings are reuseable (I lost a couple of the connectors pulling them out). Worked fairly well until the sap really started to run, then it overwhelmed the bags during a work day. Next year I will just pipe it directly into 5 gal pails.

We need to find a more efficient boiling system. This year I boiled in a canning pot over a wood fire built in a brick hearth to block in most of the heat and allow enough draft for a hot burn. Used a lot of wood and was hard to keep a steady boil. I need an evaporator vessel with more surface area I think. Any tips in this area would be appreciated. When the sap was reduced to a slightly "sugary" boil it was taken inside to finish. We found it best to filter it at this stage through a boiled flour sack towel. This produced very clean mid amber syrup and the condensed sap still flowed much easier through the filter than finished hot syrup did. Actually yielded cleaner looking syrup than our first run where we filtered hot syrup after finishing. We got DEE#$%^ LICIOUS syrup when we were done, far better than even the store bought real stuff. Will def do this again next year.

Our silver maples were pleasantly surprising. We got an amazing yield of almost 30:1 which is better than I was told to expect even from sugar maples. Our trees are very limby open grown yard trees so I'm sure that helps.

Anyone else make their own syrup? Tips and advice for next year appreciated.

Yes, our silver maple doesn't produce at all for us - but our two Red maples are great!

I bought $4 taps from a local forest preserve gift shop, and used 1gal cleaned out milk jugs as the containers (cut a small hole in the top flat side to attach to tap). Because the tops were on the milk jugs, got very little in the way of debris in the sap. Kids call that 'flavoring'!

We boil ours outside (weather permitting) using a propane camp stove and a series of graduated stainless steel stock pots (Harbor Freight). I can boil 10gals at a time on the two burners. Takes somewhere around 4hrs to boil off that much sap water to get it to where it comes indoors (in a 2qt saucepan!). Finishing indoors on an induction cooktop for anywhere up to another 4hrs. Only burned one batch this year out of 12 batches. Have about 14 qt jars for the upcoming year.

Tip: Propane has a hard time flowing to stove under 35 degrees. Which is a bummer, since that's when the sap is running!
Tip: Use a kitchen timer if you need to walk away from kitchen to remember to check on sap often. Even if only running to restroom or to change laundry around. I set mine for 15min intervals - just enough time to grab something and get it done, not enough time to loose sap to burning.
Tip: Using canning tongs and tools makes getting sap into jars much easier. Less opportunity to burn fingers.
Tip: Label your batches as you go. There will be color differences as it ages - fun to see and compare!

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid using storebought fuel as the math doesn't work out. I get the wood for free. I do have bulk propane to heat the house though. Might have to do some more math on using that and a couple of salvaged water heater burners. Lots of BTUs with those.

I was thinking of building a more permenant kiln out of brick sized to drop in 2 SS steam table trays like the caterers use with a proper flue pipe out the back and a steel door. Syruping this year was kind of a spur of the moment thing as I got an unusual amount of time off from work due to the late spring and just decided to do it one day.

Was amazing how the sap ran once it really got going. Was getting over 3 gal per day from some of the best trees.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom