Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. GerbilsOnToast

GerbilsOnToast Songster

Apr 22, 2012
    Quote:

I built the meaties' coop from some leftover pressure treated lumber and a cattle panel. Heavy to pull, but no coyote is getting in there! Also recycled some old hay feeder rings (2/3 of each one, turned up on sides) into a mini high tunnel - with greenhouse plastic and shadecloth covering, pallets on floor, makes a *great* place to grow out the garden plants!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Lol! Notty pine always makes me giggle. When I was way young my father's friend used to sing to me a song about Calija the wooden indian (found out about a year ago it was famously sung by Hank Williams) and there is a line about how his heart is "made of notty pine" but I always wondered what the pine did that made it so "naughty". Dontcha just love the innocence of childhood? Sorry, I know this particular post is old, but I am slowly getting through this thread! I have meat rabbits, 5 new pullets that won't lay til sept or oct, planted an apple tree (neighbors have two real close) and a garden in an historic neighborhood of Des Moines,Iowa. Postage stamp sized lot indeed! Plus I want bees when the bee phobic son moves out eventually :) Carrie

3. Great thread. Joining!

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If your son gets on your nerves too much - go buy bees! [​IMG]

5. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa

Oh my gosh! That made me laugh so hard I had a coughing fit.....so totally worth it though! I have days, I swear.......I have days :)

6. lacyriggs

lacyriggs Hatching

Dec 14, 2013
    I'm new to this thread. That is so funny. I want bees too, but my husband isn't crazy about the idea. Now I have an or else I can giggle about.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    My other half isn't crazy about bees either - but I have 2 top bar hives![​IMG] Of course, we have sufficient land for them to be away from the cabin. Really, with enough space he wouldn't even know they were there.......[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. Okay so this is off topic----but has anyone else been invaded by fruit flies???? I'm in northwestern PA and as of yesterday my house has been infiltrated INCLUDING my root cellar. AH! DH just finished building me my root cellar and I personally installed the insulation and the door fits tight yet STILL the wee b*stards are inside. I've tried commercial fruit fly traps, home made pop bottle (with the top inverted) traps, mason jars with a funnel traps and nothing has worked in the past. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My garden has put out a full crop of spinach already (which I've frozen) and the only things currently residing in my root cellar have been purchased from the store, so it is possible the flies hitchhiked their way in on produce. I would love some ideas if anyone has any!

9. trsturself

trsturself Songster

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    We were invaded last year by them. A dish with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water with a couple drops of dish soap gets them. They are attracted to the vinegar smell and the dish soap breaks the water tension so they drown when they land. It doesn't get them all immediately but our dish would need to be emptied daily when we first put it out.

10. I will definitely try this. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by