Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa

From what I understand each season of the series will be a different book, so u have only to read the first one before Aug :) I have not read Lynn Kurland but I will look her up, thanks.

2. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    It really isn't growing like I would like it, but I am really considering building more boxes next year and expanding. The dirt is just so cruddy here that my yard garden isn't doing much of anything. I will see if Hubby will help me take some pictures to put on here, be warned I am not thrilled with my garden. And I can't take credit for the blueberries, all I did was not kill them for the week I have owned them.

You have got to try bison bacon, that stuff is AMAZING. My cousin in Alaska did a special hunt for a disabled/cancer child and got to have a small portion and shared the bacon with us.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I think I might need something better than a .22 to stop a bison.......they still haven't caught them yet.[​IMG]

4. Raech

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Well they can't exactly hide. What are they doing to catch them? You might need a 30-06, or a good bow and arrow[​IMG]

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Our little valley is wooded on the hillsides and wetlands at the bottom - you could probably hide a battalion of soldiers !![​IMG] Also it runs into a fairly remote section of the local State park...I kinda like the idea of wild bison roaming around...guess I have to buy a new rifle now - I like the 30-06 idea. Maybe a Christmas pressie to self, waddya think?? [​IMG]

6. Raech

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Sounds about right, hubby does it all the time for Father's Day, his birthday and Christmas, tools, tools, and car parts.

7. Raech

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    [​IMG] this is our corn
    [​IMG] This is my SFG, strawberries, raspberries(just transplanted so very droopy) 2 blueberry bushes, a pot of carrots

[​IMG] My mint mixture, chocolate and regular mint
    [​IMG] My 100 Walla Walla Onions

[​IMG]Tomatoes that we got from a local producer. Not happy with the growth, last years were up to the roof line

Not pictured is the sunflowers, which are hiding the pumpkin and 2 Thia peppers, but it was too close of a picture of the front of my apartment. Sorry, they are really pretty and I actually have a flower open. Don't mind all the weeds in the pictures, I really need to get out and weed. But that is my garden this year so far. Hubby helped me take the pictures, his camera is better than mine, so don't mind the odd angles too.

8. Raech

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    [​IMG]
    But this is the pasture at Grandpa's and Dad's with the garden in the back, and Dog. The crab apple tree is in the background as well, it is just massive this year. This is the same pasture that was about 6 feet tall when we finally hayed it.

9. Raech

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    [​IMG]Blue Print for my chicken coop and retirement bunny hut that I will be building when we get a house.
    Coop is based off of the Chicken Palace by spartacus_63. Only sized down a little bit for 3 chickens, plus storage for all the pet supplies.
    [​IMG] My future Garden Layout
    [​IMG] This is what is it going to look like from the house. Edited for credit on the coop idea.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. Raech

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Ok I need your help. I am drawing up the blue prints for my bunny hut, frame and all. I have hit a bit of a snag as far as roof support goes. Hubby says to take cross boards from center of the top boards to center of the vertical board for support of the "growing roof" I have added to my list of wants. I think that a change in coop plans is needed. So I drew of plans of a square coop, with a smaller area and hopefully portable. So it is instead of being almost 5 feet long, it is 3x2. So judging my the picture where would you put the roof supports. The legs are going to be 3x3's and the rest probably 2/4's.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by