Homesteaders

I tried broccoli too knowing nothing about it. After that season I learned there are different types of broccoli and that they are cooler weather plants which is why mine didn't do well. I'm going to try again next season since I have more knowledge now.
I LOVE butternut squash. We cut it up with some sweet potatoes, put it in a cast iron pan, then place a whole chicken on top and roast it. The chicken drippings keep the vegetables moist and they soak up the flavor. Our whole family loves it and there are never left overs of the veggies. We also do other root vegetables if we have them (potatoes, rutabaga, etc). There's a few tips in the whole technique if anyone wants to try, but I didn't want to type the whole recipe here if no one cares. lol

I also used pvc pipe in the garden for a variety of uses. So handy.

I tried using either Turnips or Rutabagas in mashed potatoes but DW didn't like and she's boss of the kitchen. I like it.

Her roasted chickens and vegetables is dry and I don't like them.

I went to the library today to pick up my reserves. There were about 40 of them. So I sat and looked through them and only brought home the ones I might want to read or look at. Lord have mercy there are alot of books on "Homesteading" Who has time to read them all?

TSC has a sale on there books. 20% off. Better than my membership at B&N.

I advise looking at lots of sites and pick what will work for you. Somethings didn't work well for me.

We're pretty much starting from scratch this year with our garden since we have decided to try an aquaponics set up. The local feed store has a nice break down of what will grow during what season and when to plant each one. Since we have to maintain plants in there year round it'll be learning experience for us.

RichnSteph

I've read several posts over the last 40 pages about people using the square foot method in raised beds. Has anyone tried this method in a traditional garden (get your tiller and till up an area and plant veggies)? I have a 8 x 30 foot area in my yard that I'm going to use as my garden and I want to make sure I use every square inch of it.

I've read several posts over the last 40 pages about people using the square foot method in raised beds. Has anyone tried this method in a traditional garden (get your tiller and till up an area and plant veggies)? I have a 8 x 30 foot area in my yard that I'm going to use as my garden and I want to make sure I use every square inch of it.

There's no reason you couldn't. It's easier if you mark off the square foots on the ground somehow. Maybe put stakes every foot and run string between them.

Certainly there are books on square foot gardening. As I've said nothing works for everyone. You have to find what works for you.

However I was just reading about tilling and how it's not always good. One things I know for sure is tilling as a weeding method dries out the soil and increases the need to water.

Keep in mind that you'll need to get to those plants. You'll need some sort of path. You could do this by laying boards down and walk on those.

Strategic planting can reduce the need to water. Mulch with hay, straw, grass clippings or leaves.

You don't say where you're located.

I'm located in Southeast Texas ( about an hour west of Houston) zone 9. I'm 6 ' 5 so I figured my arms are long enough to stand on either side of the garden and be able to reach all the plants since it's only 8 feet wide. 10 years from now I plan to be living on 5 acres so space won't be as much of a problem. However, right now I live on a 1/4 of an acre so space is at a premium.

I have family that lives in Houston or the Houston area. We've talked of coming down for the winters, at least three months but we shall see.

They have a postage stamp yard. I would not choose such a small yard. He is from the U. K. so I suspect a tiny yard is the norm for him.

The problem with trying to reach 4 feet into the garden is that plants grow up vertically as well as fill in with leaves and stems and such. Also, with square foot gardening, the plants are packed really tight together, the walkways will give the plants some room for additional light infiltration, otherwise most of your garden will shade itself.
A tomato plant will be planted at a density of 1 plant per 1 square foot on the ground, however, when it grows it will be closer to 4 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. A jungle of garden plants will ge hard to keep disease and pest problems controlled.

My garden was only 3 1/2 feet by 7 1/2 feet and without being able to reach in from the other side, I would not have been able to use the peas to shade the spinach and extend my greens season.

Back
Top Bottom