Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    DW and I like to go to B/N and have coffee and look through magazines. Sometimes I buy them. Others I get good ideas from.

Some of the books we're buying are out of print books my kids use to have read to them and now they're wanting them for their own.

I can't see the expense of a Nook or Kindle. It's luxury and fad. Plus it would look lonely sitting on a book shelf. [​IMG]

Anyhow I just ordered Cranberry Autumn one in the series of Cranberry books. They're out of print. Each has a recipe at the end. GD and I made the Cranberry cake together at Valentines day. We had fun even if she did get sugar all over the floor.

Her newest Dream Snow has a button at the end you push and make twinkle sounds. I don't know how you'd do that with a Kindle or Nook. Her parents read to her each night, like we did ours.

Kids who read do better in school so they say. RIF - Reading Is Fundamental.

Our library takes donations of books and I was surprised to see the Twilight books on the shelf. They only charge $1 a book. Same if they have CD's or DVD's. I get a few now and then.

2. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I find that my Kindle has saved me tons of money. It may look lonely on my book shelf, but it's easy to dust around. I love that I can change the size of the font without having to pay extra for large print books. I love that when I'm going on a trip I don't have to carry 2 or 3 books in case I finish one. They're all right there.

3. chicken-lady13

chicken-lady13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Kentucky
    Hey Rancher hicks : Why doesn't the TV repairman like RCA TVs ? My uncle used to be a Sears TV repairman. He says RCA TVs are the best. . I have had my RCA TV for 25 years. It still runs great and has a good picture. My father in law has one from the 70's . It works good , but the picture is a little red now. My uncle likes the LG Tvs now and says that they are the RCA'S of today. I wss just wondering what was his beef with RCA TVs. Thanks!

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Actually it was the Magnavox which is made by Philips. Can't say about the RCA perhaps things have changed since your uncle used to work for Sears.

Brands and quality don't always last. Probably due to acquisitions and things like that. I used to like Wendy's fries but not since it was sold and they changed them. The quality has changed and not for the good imo.

We used to have a repair man we'd call for our washer and dryer who was an old man and he used to tell us about this make or that make. I guess their just humans who have their preferences too.

I have heard/read that LG's and Vizio? are good TV's. I like to read Consumer Reports and check things out now and then.

Cuisinart is considered good but we had three of the same coffee makers and none was any good. All broke early and even the the replaced by warranty broke. I think it was the model because they discontinued it. So now we use a $19 job. Works fine for us.

We buy Kenmore some times and they're made by I don't know who, but sold under the Kenmore name. It's the same way with TV's.

5. chicken-lady13

Aug 21, 2013
    Kentucky
    I think kenmore use to be made by the sears people to. I really like them to , they last for years. My mother had both her washer and dryer for about 30 years before they gave out. I don't like VIzio TV'S though. My friends have bought them and they didn't last very long at all. Most of the time they would over heat and burn out or the screen would crack on them ,because of the heat. I have had my LG for about 4 years now and it has been great. I hope it continues to do well, I'll keep you posted. It has been awhile since my uncle was the Sears tv repair man. I don't think people bother fixing them anymore. If the warranty is out , they just throw them away and buy a new one. I try my best to save money and fix any thing I can. My hubby is home today from work trying to repair our furnace himself hoping he doesn't have to call a repairman. He told me a few minutes ago he us on his second trip to the parts store today and still no luck. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I know he needs all the luck he can get. I hope I don't have to fish out the down comforter like I had to when I got home last night. It got pretty cold in our house. My back up space heater's have came up missing from our outside shed. Oh well I hope who ever got them really needed them. It seems sometimes if it ain't piss ants it is bed bugs !! LOL !!! Don't want either !!!! I just hope my JACK of all trades comes up with a royal flush today !

6. chicken-lady13

Aug 21, 2013
    Kentucky
    I love Wendys!!! But don't do coffee. We don't own any coffee or even a pot to put it in . We do however are big Mountain Dew fans. We sure have give these brands some good and negative reviews today. Hope they make the needed improvements with their quality and the ones that got the good reviews keep their quality up. We are giving our consumer reviews and Free advertising !!! LOL LOVE ! LOVE ! Back Yard Chickens ! And all my new chicken page friends !!!

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I hear that (about the reviews). These days a unhappy customer can spread the word far and wide in a minute. [​IMG] I wish you well with the furnace.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Best part about reviews, is they go both ways. My husband in a moderator on a couple car forums, as well as builds modified import cars, so he gets the word out on businesses, especially shipping companies, that are willing to do special deliveries to houses and will work with you on time of drop off, since nobody wants rims and tires worth 3k sitting on their front porch all day while you are at work. He has had to email a few companies about their product that were shipped poorly, as in 2 broken 8 foot pieces of trim that were not wrapped at all, just shoved in a box. They are normally willing to fix the problem on the next shipping attempt, and sometimes send free stuff with it; normally so you will try to buy through them again.

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I had a situation with "dissolvable" labels by Ball. I sent them an email and complained. They replied they would send a coupon for free labels but that never happened. Don't buy those labels. They are dated and don't last. The label and glue separate making them useless.

On the other hand I complained to Sears about an incident and they sent me a $50 gift card.

Some companies care, others don't.

These days a review can make or break you. Same with folks who sell hatching eggs. [​IMG]

10. chicken-lady13

Aug 21, 2013
    Kentucky
    YES ! We are in the heat now. My JACK of all trades come through and got our furnace fixed. I was nice and toasty when I got home. I just love the fact my husband is good at fixing things. I tell him that's why I keep him around. He is good and handy ! LOL Sometimes he likes to MaGiver though and I hate it when he has left over parts and swears that he has used all that was needed.
    Usually the first sign of a disaster of epic proportions !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by