Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well as Red Green says, " if a woman can't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy. " Glad things worked out. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Anyone have any insight on growing your own peanuts, my oldest has found the glory of shelled peanuts and is working his way through the bag and its only 11:00. Figure I might just add it to my garden list.

Or the uses for the shell would be helpful too. I didn't feel like I should buy the unshelled peanuts in he can have some fun with cracking them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. Plough

Plough Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    San Jose, Ca
    I would say just about any use you could use pine chips/sawdust would work well for shells. Compost, Chicken bedding, sweeping compound, ground cover for plants, etc.

4. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    Peanuts are not hard to grow. They take a long time and need sandy soils or a lot of mulch added to your soil. They need around 130 to 140 frost free days to produce.

5. Penton

Penton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    To Top Knot,
    Please let me know from where you order your wheat for grinding. I use to be able to buy Montanana Gold and red wheat berries for grinding (I, too, have a flour mill.....counter top), but since moving to Florida, have no idea where to buy grain locally. Not sure it's worth the cost of shipping it so I buy in small batches at the natural food store. Thanks for the info.

6. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    My chickens love to eat the peanut shells! I live in SC & they grow a lot down here. Where are you?

7. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Idaho/Washington border. I don't have chickens yet either, but my egg man does. [​IMG] I can save them for him I guess. Our states grow potatoes, and pot I guess(not me personally). My egg man's chickens quit laying about 2 weeks ago, and he lets them have a vacation over the winter so I am back to store bought eggs, I miss my farm eggs [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I am sure many are in your position. I have about 50 birds and might get 12 eggs if I'm lucky. Yesterday about 8. Of course I forget there are about 8 roosters. Still I keep a variety of breeds as some lay while others don't.

So far the B. Marans and EE's are on top. I have a light sussex and she is just amazing at age 2.

It's very cold here and we just got some blowable snow this thursday. Not as much as was on the news for Syracuse, but north in Oswego County they got almost 4'. They can handle it for sure though.

Oh and those peanut shells would be great to use. I like anything not powdery and so do the chickens.

9. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    How's your snow doing Rancher? We have about 6-8 inches here in the Finger Lakes - bitterly cold though, about 8F this morning. Brrrr - glad I finally got around to making the water heater - it's BRILLIANT!!![​IMG]

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We didn't get as much as some believe. I did use the snowblower yesterday for a couple of passes, but didn't need to blow snow this am. I was able to get my wagon around easily enough.

It's freezing cold out there. I just don't get that the chickens in the hoops, marans lay so well. 4 for 6 girls. In all honesty a couple are new layers. I also don't understand why the BR's and those aren't laying well. The orp coop I get one EE egg most days but the Orps, CRs' and RIR haven't been laying.

A couple from the Orp coop moved into the hoop with the five that are there. EE', BM and the Sussex. I just left them since they seem okay one is a Orp roo and the other an EE I think.

I'm anxious to get more CR eggs and replace the rooster I traded away. I will be hatching like crazy then.

Candled egg and perhaps 8 for 12 might be okay. We shall see, though I'm only leaving them to be sure. The humidity has been hard to regulate and I've been turning them by hand. I decided not to move them to put the new motor on the turner. I will of course when this hatch is done and have every thing ready to go for the next hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by