Homesteaders

Pics
Thanks boskelli! We are definitely enjoying the wildlife! There are lots of trees, and the house came with a wood stove. We are able to keep it a cozy 81 degrees in there with negative temps outside! This is our first winter with cabin in the woods, and we are not there full time (yet) so we are learning the ropes quickly. Frozen pipes, falling trees from freezing rain, snow snow snow... We need to invest in a 4x4 with a plow. With a driveway over 1/2 a mile long, that's way to much to shovel! We have a FWD Suburban, but its not tough enough...
We just purchased home in May, so no gardens yet. We need to clear trees for a garden and solar panels. We also want to add fruit trees. Here in suburbia we have an edible landscape. Fruit trees, and blueberry bushes, etc.
I hope to learn a lot from you guys! :)

Thanks boskelli! We are definitely enjoying the wildlife! There are lots of trees, and the house came with a wood stove. We are able to keep it a cozy 81 degrees in there with negative temps outside! This is our first winter with cabin in the woods, and we are not there full time (yet) so we are learning the ropes quickly. Frozen pipes, falling trees from freezing rain, snow snow snow... We need to invest in a 4x4 with a plow. With a driveway over 1/2 a mile long, that's way to much to shovel! We have a FWD Suburban, but its not tough enough...
We just purchased home in May, so no gardens yet. We need to clear trees for a garden and solar panels. We also want to add fruit trees. Here in suburbia we have an edible landscape. Fruit trees, and blueberry bushes, etc.

Best of luck in your new digs! Sounds like an adventure, and a lot of fun at the same time.

Good luck. I'm a bit jealous :p

Here at my house, I'm surrounded by city. Houses on 1/4 acre or less. I have chickens, fruit trees, and yes blueberries. There's nothing better than a blueberry right off a bush. Of course, the birds know this too haha. It's a race. Last year I got few/none because of the birds lol

Are any of you guys meeting resistance from your local governments? Here in suburbia we have less then 1/4 acre and we are allowed to have 4 outdoor animals. Many of us are like minded (we got very lucky) nobody complains when we hang laundry to dry outside etc.
our new place in the middle of nowhere we are not allowed to own ANY farm animals. Not even 1 chicken! We are even supposed to have a permit to have a cover over our firewood pile. It's absurd! We have had at least 3 visits from the ordinance officer for township ordinance violations. 1st one, OWNING CHICKENS! Grrrr this stuff gets me mad...
We expected bumps in the road with this new place. Like the water pipes freezing etc. but we never expected such bullying from local government!
Thank you for the welcome!
Farmerkevin, have you ever tried covering the bushes with a screen type tarp? I've had the same problem with cherry trees. We don't like to use chemicals, and the cover keeps bugs off too :)

Are any of you guys meeting resistance from your local governments? Here in suburbia we have less then 1/4 acre and we are allowed to have 4 outdoor animals. Many of us are like minded (we got very lucky) nobody complains when we hang laundry to dry outside etc.
our new place in the middle of nowhere we are not allowed to own ANY farm animals. Not even 1 chicken! We are even supposed to have a permit to have a cover over our firewood pile. It's absurd! We have had at least 3 visits from the ordinance officer for township ordinance violations. 1st one, OWNING CHICKENS! Grrrr this stuff gets me mad...
We expected bumps in the road with this new place. Like the water pipes freezing etc. but we never expected such bullying from local government!
Thank you for the welcome!
Farmerkevin, have you ever tried covering the bushes with a screen type tarp? I've had the same problem with cherry trees. We don't like to use chemicals, and the cover keeps bugs off too :)

Can't say for sure where you are, but you might check the ordinances yourself. If you haven't already. Have a friend who was being harassed a local officer only to find out she was perfectly legal.
If you can find allies to change the ordinances you might be able to get things changed. Too you might be able to get a variance.

I always tout the book "City Chicks" as a source of information and ideas to get things changed. There is a great deal of information and cases to follow on getting things changed.

Also writing about your experience here can help those who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Kev - you might consider a temporary cover of bird netting over your bushes. Perhaps make a dome of 1x3 fencing or some other permanent support and cover with bird netting during fruiting time and then removing the netting after harvest. I have a neighbor who has three dwarf trees and does this.

This township is ridiculous, and in my opinion corrupt. The have a million ordinances and variances for every one of them. Each variance is over $250, and that's just to ask for it. There is no guarantee you will get what you ask for. The office and employees work only 16 hours per week, and voted themselves to receive benefits, for LIFE! Lifelong insurance benefits!!! I can't even believe that! I have looked for myself, and the ordinances are real. On 50+ acres I'm not allowed 1 chicken.
I'm claiming Right To Farm, and waiting to see of they take me to court. We sell eggs, and meet GAAMPS, so only time will tell. I have a very good lawyer. I was just curious if others were going through the same thing, especially with many people on here in a more urban setting.
Thanks for the info rancher! I will look into City Chicks I try to educate myself as much as possible.

Some folks have had to go to meetings and all that. The book gives them ammo to present their case. Just thought it might help you if you have to go to court or there is some other thing you can do.

Zoning is a tough thing in certain areas and there are many land use rights that are out there. In a couple of cases I've read in magazine such as Mother Earth, previous owners sold the mineral, water and land use rights but didn't tell the new owners who are shocked when those rights are used.

Anyone buying parcels of land should be sure to do research to see if there are any rights they will not own after purchase. That gas company at your door may well have bought the rights to drill on your property. Hypothetically speaking of course.

We did make sure prior to purchase that we own all land and mineral rights etc.
our only obsticle is this power hungry, money hungry township that quite frankly I believe is currupt.
We have 5 criminal charges pending against the township commissioner that have all been approved by the District Attorney, now we are just waiting for his arraignment hearing. My attorney suggested going after them civily to make a point. Even if we don't win, it will at least show them that they cannot push us around.

Some folks have had to go to meetings and all that. The book gives them ammo to present their case. Just thought it might help you if you have to go to court or there is some other thing you can do.

Zoning is a tough thing in certain areas and there are many land use rights that are out there. In a couple of cases I've read in magazine such as Mother Earth, previous owners sold the mineral, water and land use rights but didn't tell the new owners who are shocked when those rights are used.

Anyone buying parcels of land should be sure to do research to see if there are any rights they will not own after purchase. That gas company at your door may well have bought the rights to drill on your property. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Wouldn't something like that be revealed during the Title Search?

And, where do you live RTFchickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom