Homesteaders

Pics
FYI - If you have a septic system check the toilet paper you use. Even if the label says it's safe to use.

What I've learned recently is that the new toilet paper DW bought breaks up. Our old TP apparently while the package says is okay does not. We've been having trouble with our since we moved in. We would get clogs and hear gurgling sounds or it would not go down. I've had to root out the pipe a few times since winter began and we've had back ups into the yard.

What I suggest is to take your TP and put a few sheets into a bucket of water or let it sit in the toilet. Give it a swirl and see if it breaks up.

Our new TP is softer and does. We had some of the old and I started to use it and now it's gurgling again. So it's back to the new stuff.

Just thought you should know.

I have heard of people trimming trees and using the long, skinny branches in a tee pee shape for the poles, and planting them in the middle(I think is where). Or using old cattle paneling into an arch shape, and just letting them climb up it naturally, you can cut the paneling into a width that works for your garden, and making the arch as high as you want then plant shade vegetable like lettuce under it.

I am absolutely thrilled today!! It is nice and sunny, so the mud has finally started to dry out enough to let the kids go outside and play at my place so I can get some more garden work done. Now I just need to head over to Dad and Grandpa's house and give them some money for the fruit trees, since my Dad is ordering a stump eating thing from the same magazine. We all agreed on what kind of trees we will get, and now we just need to place the order. We are getting a dwarf red haven peach, 2 dwarf delicious apples(1 yellow, 1 red), dwarf Bartlett pear, and a dwarf cherry tree. Depending on which cherry tree we get I might have to come up with a little bit more money, I think there is a $5 difference between the one I am looking at and the one we might get, I told my Dad that the cherry tree type is up to him, as long as we get one. The trees that we have are 30 years old and not really producing because half of the tree is rotten, and we took most of the rotten part out over the weekend. So hopefully this will help get our apple production back up and create more shade for the yard for when the old apple tree comes out. I am so happy that I actually have some extra money coming in, so I can send it towards Dad and Grandpa's property to help out, since Grandpa is on a fixed income and Dad is gone a lot due to work.

Hopefully the pasture has dried out enough that they kids can go running out there with the dog. Out of all the dogs we have had on the property over the years this is the first one that has completely demolished the grass in the yard, just by racing to greet the kids. He looks like a dog on ice trying to corner as fast as he can to get around the corvette without slowing down; we literally have skid marks in the grass from him. He is a very hyper cattle dog, with no cattle to play with, yet, so he rounds up the kids and tries to hunt the squirrels and wild birds that come into the yard. There is one kind of bird that we need to get him broke of chasing, quails, we love our quails and we normally have a flock of 30-45 in the machine lot in the evening until he wandered in and claimed us. We are hoping to get some calves as soon as the fence is fixed this year. The whole fence lines need to be replaced and tightened up again, half of the posts are rotten and hanging by the barb fence line. Our new fence is going to be 5' tall and part railing style with hog wire running around it with a hot wire on the inside to keep the horses off of it.

I love the snow - it's the bitter cold that gets to me! The village plow has torn up our dirt road pretty bad. We now have deep furrows in the mud - and I washed the car the other day
roll.png

thanks Raech. there are some trees that need trimming. I will need to take a second look to see if that would work. I also saw some conduit pipes, nylon netting and rebar. We have rebar and conduit piping but not the netting. Maybe I can use twine or bailing twine. Does anyone now how I would make the rope stick to the side poles? Drill holes? this is for trellises to grew vegetables up against.

Last edited:
thanks Raech. there are some trees that need trimming. I will need to take a second look to see if that would work. I also saw some conduit pipes, nylon netting and rebar. We have rebar and conduit piping but not the netting. Maybe I can use twine or bailing twine. Does anyone now how I would make the rope stick to the side poles? Drill holes? this is for trellises to grew vegetables up against.
I think if you tied bailing twine it could work if you tie it loose so as the stem/stalk grows it has room. We used twine on our large sunflowers last year, it worked pretty good. Use a nail and tap it in leaving about 1/2-1" of the nail out and tie the twine or string to that nail and go from there. I watched a lot of video ideas on how to start a vertical garden, and they used a nail on either side and created a grid all the way up to make a vegetable garden privacy wall using pumpkins and watermelons I believe. But you space the nails evenly and whined the twine from one nail to the other and when you need to go up you just go straight up the pole to the next nail and wrap it around and go around/over to the next nail, if that makes any sense. Or you can tie it off and start again on the next level nail.

Back
Top Bottom