Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    I make my laundry detergent too. Here's my general recipe:
    1 box of Borax
    1 box of washing soda
    1 tub of oxiclean
    2 bars of fels-naptha shredded

I would love to see others.

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Of course! I will sent it to you.

Hippiechickhomestead.wordpress.com

3. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Or post it!

4. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I use 1 cup Borac, 1 cup Washing Soda, and 1 bar of Fels Naptha. Makes 10 gallons.

Does anyone know how to make it from scratch? How did our great, great grandmothers make soap? wasn't it animal fat mixed with ashes? I would love to know the ratios there.

5. GerbilsOnToast

GerbilsOnToast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    There is a reason our Great Grandmother's soap was known for being harsh.

Yes, Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) can be extracted form wood ashes, (the ashes themselves were not part of the soap, only a source for the lye) via slow drip dissolution, and that is how the lye was prepared. However, sodium hydroxide is highly caustic, and determining the concentration of that solution was beyond their capabilities - therefore, no two batches were alike, and calculating the amount of fat required was impossible.
    In a pinch, you could do it; with the correct testing equipment, you could get a rough guess of pH and calculate the molarity. The equipment to extract it safely, and to calculate its' molarity, far exceeds the cost of purchasing lye, particularly if you purchase in bulk.

**editing to add - the ratios are worthless if the concentration of the lye solution is unknown. It was done by 'feel' - ie: how fast the mixture traces as the lye solution is added. Frequently the fat amount was inadequate, therefore it was highly alkaline, harsh & irritating. All fats were saved to make soap - even chicken fat and pan drippings. My mum has shared her recollections of the process and product with me... I opted to buy 50# buckets of standardized lye! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  6. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hmm...I think for now I'll stick to just buying my soap. That can be something I learn later. When I get my goat & need ways to use up milk.

7. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    Quick question, it might have been answered before. I know that chickens will eat ticks, but if I let them free range in a 3 acre area will they stay in that area without fencing, and eat the ticks? Grandpa has suddenly had an outbreak of ticks this year, and I really don't know what to do, we are finding them really heavy in the grass field, that needs to be baled once the weather warms up enough to dry it. It is up to my armpits, and I am 5'8, I don't think they plan on doing anything about the problem, but I really hate the thought of finding ticks on my boys. I have been suggesting to get a couple of chickens to help with the problem and they don't really want chickens because the turkeys from 30+ years ago were "gross." The field that has the tick problem goes up to a very busy road, but there is a creek running behind it with shorter grass, and with the really tall grass would that be a deterrent, until I can get an electric fence hooked up for after baling? We have a lot of predators, hawks, coyotes, raccoons and neighbor dogs, and Grandpa's dog might be a problem until I can get him trained as well. Any advice would be appreciated, they found 5 on Dog(yes that is what they named him) today.

8. jerrey

jerrey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Holts Summit Mo.
    that sounds like the recipe I use is this a liquid 0r powered I have been making mine for about 2yr. I could not buy it any more it doesn't make suds but suds is not what cleans your clothes thank you

9. jerrey

Sep 12, 2012
    Holts Summit Mo.
    o yes I really like the zote bar you can get in pink are white smell better than fels naptha bar of soap
    jerrey mae

10. jerrey

Sep 12, 2012
    Holts Summit Mo.
    unless you are making body soap I haven't herd of goat milk in laundry dert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by