Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 10, 2013.

1. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Try making some Pork Carnitas - he will change his tune on pork. They are so yummy!

2. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010

3. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    I think the main reason why he doesn't like it is because he didn't grow up eating it, and his previous girlfriend was vegetarian so they didn't eat it either. He needs to try my brother's pork loin too, that was amazing. Carnitas would be a nice change from beef tacos and beef and bean burritos.

4. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    Agreed on the carnitas! Yummy!
    My DH said he didn't like a lot of things when I met him (mushrooms, sushi, avocado, artichoke, port, etc). He eats them all now. Just took some good cooking (my dad's, not mine) to get him to change his tune. Pork chops are still not his favorite but most other pork he likes.
    We all love carnitas. I wish I had a good recipe for it. Every one I've tried didn't have the right flavor.

5. Raech

Raech Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    Washington Border
    I made some glazed pork chops the other night, and my husband went back for more!! I got the recipe from Pintrest, it was for 4 thick pork chops. 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cayenne powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. I mixed all the ingredients together then patted it onto all sides of the pork chops, then cooked them in the skillet until done. It had a little bit of spice, but not enough that the kids couldn't eat it.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It has got flowers, but is large. I had thought to dig it up and transplant it and prune it back. I don't need the currants anyhow, but it's in a location that it will get shaded out soon. Will this be okay?

7. GerbilsOnToast

GerbilsOnToast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Google term "leather britches". There's enough work out here, don't make any more for yourself than you have to!

8. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    If you think it will thirve there, go ahead. The shade will keep it from being stressed to bad after the transfer, but will it have enough sun to thrive and produce in the future?

9. RustedOak

RustedOak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Waco, Texas
    Happy Mother's Day to the BYC Homestead Mamas!

1 person likes this.
  10. jerrey

jerrey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Holts Summit Mo.
    could you give your home made laundry detergent I also make my to see what might be different
    Jerey Mae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by