Homesteaders

Pics
They so cute!! That is why I really want to have a "farm" on my 7 acres, so that my son knows where stuff comes from. My husband was saying how he doesn't like pig, only bacon and spam(does that count?) well my son piped up and said "But Dad, bacon is pig, and so is sausage, I like pig!" I almost died laughing, he said it so matter of fact that my husband could only agree.

Try making some Pork Carnitas - he will change his tune on pork. They are so yummy!

Well it's raining here. Again!

Went to t farmer market and bought another Rhubarb plant. And some black tomato plants.

Looked at my Red currant bushes two survived. One looks to be loaded with berries. I've surrounded it with chicken wire to protect it from the chickens.

I've one in the woods behind a big tree to dig out. Anyone know if it's okay to dig it out now? It's doing nice but gets no berries. Perhaps to shaded by the tree. I'd like to replace one of the two that died.

I still haven't seen much on drying beans and a bean dryer set up.

Sorry, screwed up this quote so putting my comment in bold.

If the shrub hasn't broken bud yet, go ahead and transplant it. If it has broken bud, go ahead and transplant it. You may need to baby it a bit, and it will be slowed growth for a year, but it should be OK. I have transplanted a lot of times in the spring with pretty good results. Just make sure to get as much dirt with the roots as you can.

My grandma dried beans on a wood-framed screen set out in the sun on bricks to provide air flow. The 2" wooden frame was sturdy and allowed her to shake the beans occasionally to make sure they dried evenly.

Try making some Pork Carnitas - he will change his tune on pork. They are so yummy!

I think the main reason why he doesn't like it is because he didn't grow up eating it, and his previous girlfriend was vegetarian so they didn't eat it either. He needs to try my brother's pork loin too, that was amazing. Carnitas would be a nice change from beef tacos and beef and bean burritos.

Agreed on the carnitas! Yummy!
My DH said he didn't like a lot of things when I met him (mushrooms, sushi, avocado, artichoke, port, etc). He eats them all now. Just took some good cooking (my dad's, not mine) to get him to change his tune. Pork chops are still not his favorite but most other pork he likes.
We all love carnitas. I wish I had a good recipe for it. Every one I've tried didn't have the right flavor.

Agreed on the carnitas! Yummy!
My DH said he didn't like a lot of things when I met him (mushrooms, sushi, avocado, artichoke, port, etc). He eats them all now. Just took some good cooking (my dad's, not mine) to get him to change his tune. Pork chops are still not his favorite but most other pork he likes.
We all love carnitas. I wish I had a good recipe for it. Every one I've tried didn't have the right flavor.

I made some glazed pork chops the other night, and my husband went back for more!! I got the recipe from Pintrest, it was for 4 thick pork chops. 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cayenne powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. I mixed all the ingredients together then patted it onto all sides of the pork chops, then cooked them in the skillet until done. It had a little bit of spice, but not enough that the kids couldn't eat it.

It has got flowers, but is large. I had thought to dig it up and transplant it and prune it back. I don't need the currants anyhow, but it's in a location that it will get shaded out soon. Will this be okay?

Well it's raining here. Again!

Went to t farmer market and bought another Rhubarb plant. And some black tomato plants.

Looked at my Red currant bushes two survived. One looks to be loaded with berries. I've surrounded it with chicken wire to protect it from the chickens.

I've one in the woods behind a big tree to dig out. Anyone know if it's okay to dig it out now? It's doing nice but gets no berries. Perhaps to shaded by the tree. I'd like to replace one of the two that died.

The chickens got into the garden and ate the tops of my garlic. I hope it comes back like last year. I really have to work on gates for my rustic fencing. I just don't have the skill to make gates.

I won't be doing any jams or jellies as I have plenty. I did buy a couple of cooks books at a flea market/antique store. Some of the old "church cook books" have some good recipes. Though it can be fun to try to figure out the ingredients or measures of yesteryear. Plus if you're short on space they're usually booklet type and don't take up a lot of room.

One thing I'd like to see is a book on how to COOK food again. The real farm chicken, grown vegetables and stuff like that. Sometimes what we buy/start with in recipes is things that have been processed to stage two, then added.

I still haven't seen much on drying beans and a bean dryer set up.

Google term "leather britches". There's enough work out here, don't make any more for yourself than you have to!

It has got flowers, but is large. I had thought to dig it up and transplant it and prune it back. I don't need the currants anyhow, but it's in a location that it will get shaded out soon. Will this be okay?

If you think it will thirve there, go ahead. The shade will keep it from being stressed to bad after the transfer, but will it have enough sun to thrive and produce in the future?

Love this forum. I am interested in homesteading and started a blog. Hippiechickhomesteader.wordpress.com to log my homesteading process. I garden, can and freeze our own food, we use wood for heat and hubby hunts for meat, we have chickens and I make my own laundry detergent, just a start. We both still work, but would love to concentrate on this full time at some point. Would love to hear from like minded people.

could you give your home made laundry detergent I also make my to see what might be different
Jerey Mae

Back
Top Bottom