Homesteaders

Pics
Hey there,

I run a small gardening business, looking after estates and growing organic food. We live in an 1850's farmhouse, have a large garden an now a few chickens. I just came across this thread and thought Id say hello to some like minded folk.

Cheers

Hey there,

I run a small gardening business, looking after estates and growing organic food. We live in an 1850's farmhouse, have a large garden an now a few chickens. I just came across this thread and thought Id say hello to some like minded folk.

Cheers
welcome-byc.gif

Rancher, your fence looks like what I saw in Nicaragua. So cool. They just use what's there. It was actually that trip that motivated me to do less for my chickens. I know that might seem backward, but they had chickens running all over, just living free. I was so stressed about making the perfect coop, perfect run. It was liberating to see just how rustic & old timey things were.

H
Hey there,

Cheers

Hello local gardener! Can I have your house?! Lol

Tp
How long into the season does okra grow? I want a plant that keeps on giving!!!

Too long! Lol you will be sick of it until it's finished! Let's see I plant mine I end of April or first of May and it frosted last week for the first time killing my plants and there was still okra on there! We had so much rain this summer though it was unreal I had almost 8 1/2 foot tall okra plants!

Tp
Too long! Lol you will be sick of it until it's finished! Let's see I plant mine I end of April or first of May and it frosted last week for the first time killing my plants and there was still okra on there! We had so much rain this summer though it was unreal I had almost 8 1/2 foot tall okra plants!
So if I planted some in a raised garden tomorrow then I would have it until summer-we have different seasons. We don't get COLD. I am not sure how low the temps drop at night in the dead of winter but the daytime temps usually don't go below 55. Can I plant them next to other veggies or do they crowd the space?

I don't know much about the hours thingy people talk about-frost hours maybe? Anyways where I live it is below 200 hours a year-compared to most of the country that is 400+hours. Does that make any rational sense to the gardeners on here? Please forgive me that I never figured out what the heck the hours thingy meant.
hide.gif

Great idea lizard lady! I would also like to know where people are from! As I wouldn't be able to help newbie32 out much on what to plant as they live in the desert. I live in western Kentucky!

I lived in the Midwest for most of my life, but moved to the desert a couple of years ago. We've been in our house (southern Arizona) for about a year so most of my homesteading here is in the infant stage, lol!

Back
Top Bottom