Homesteaders

Pics
It's hard to find good homesteading websites! If your not booby trapping your house for a zombie apocalypse that is! Lol That's not what I'm into at all but you would be surprised how many people are!
While I do believe we are in for a financial crisis at some point; that is not why I like homesteading. We did not follow our retirement plan very well, so we have to find a way to do with less. I am 9 years away from retirement and would like to be providing at least 75% of our food needs when I retire. We currently produce 30 - 40 % of what we consume.

ummm is that an owl or a chicken?
hide.gif

I believe it's a red tail chicken hawk.........................

While I do believe we are in for a financial crisis at some point; that is not why I like homesteading. We did not follow our retirement plan very well, so we have to find a way to do with less. I am 9 years away from retirement and would like to be providing at least 75% of our food needs when I retire. We currently produce 30 - 40 % of what we consume.

I think there are many like minded folks out there. 30-40% is not to bad imo.

For me the dilemma is figuring out what to grow and how much of it. I think I should do potatoes since we eat a lot of those, but where can I find some Pasta seeds?
lol.png

Can I make a pound of pasta for less than I pay in the store?

I've considered getting a pig but how to transport it for processing and would I save money in doing so. We eat more pork and chicken than red meat.

I agree 30-40% isn't shabby at all! What do you grow/raise as of now? Anything you are looking to add?

I'm interested in the making pasta vs buying it debate also.... I think the only way to do that is to try making it and calculate your costs.

Hubby wants a pig too! I'm still on the fence. Since it becomes my job to feed water and be general caregiver I'm not sure about adding so much to my workload at once. I do love bacon though! I swear I think it's the perfect food! I wish I could raise my chickens rabbits and goats and have a friend to raise pigs and cattle and just spilt the meat eggs and milk. I think that would be the perfect setup. Alas I know no one who is even willing to buy one chicken forget a pig. I did find a neighbor that has pigs only they have the pot belly kind and I wasn't a fan of their set up at all small pens equal stinky pigs!

Rancher hicks if you butcher and quarter your own animals you get a discount and they are much easier to transport. I've never done anything as large as a full grown hog but a 200 lb buck only took my husband and it about an hour total. You might want to think about if this is something you can factor in...

I agree 30-40% isn't shabby at all! What do you grow/raise as of now? Anything you are looking to add?

I'm interested in the making pasta vs buying it debate also.... I think the only way to do that is to try making it and calculate your costs.

Hubby wants a pig too! I'm still on the fence. Since it becomes my job to feed water and be general caregiver I'm not sure about adding so much to my workload at once. I do love bacon though! I swear I think it's the perfect food! I wish I could raise my chickens rabbits and goats and have a friend to raise pigs and cattle and just spilt the meat eggs and milk. I think that would be the perfect setup. Alas I know no one who is even willing to buy one chicken forget a pig. I did find a neighbor that has pigs only they have the pot belly kind and I wasn't a fan of their set up at all small pens equal stinky pigs!

Rancher hicks if you butcher and quarter your own animals you get a discount and they are much easier to transport. I've never done anything as large as a full grown hog but a 200 lb buck only took my husband and it about an hour total. You might want to think about if this is something you can factor in...

I'm pretty sure that once we factor in the labor of stock keeping we'd be in the red. However if we take into consideration the "quality" of our stock we may be in the black.

That being how much would it cost to buy food that doesn't make you sick, like the commercial eggs do to a friend of mine. I make sure to give him priority since he can't eat store bought eggs.

Another thing we fail to give value to, is the waste of our animals in the making of healthy compost for our gardens. When you deduct the cost of soil and fertilizer, other buy each year.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that once we factor in the labor of stock keeping we'd be in the red.  However if we take into consideration the "quality" of our stock we may be in the black.

That being how much would it cost to buy food that doesn't make you sick, like the commercial eggs do to a friend of mine.  I make sure to give him priority since he can't eat store bought eggs. 

Another thing we fail to give value to, is the waste of our animals in the making of healthy compost for our gardens.  When you deduct the cost of soil and fertilizer, other buy each year.   

This is true. I think if you have the time and space anything you can "do yourself" will save you in the long run. When you factor in all the crap (yes it's exactly crap) that goes into commercially produced foods. I'm trying to slowly steer clear of any overly processed foods. Be it as simple as mixing up my own brownie mix or growing my own fruit and veggies. Sure our grandparents had health issues but nothing like we are seeing in today's time. I think that a big chunk of it is from overly processed preservative filled pesticide coated foods that make up the bulk of most family meals. Did anyone else watch that documentary called Super Size (or something like that) about the guy who ate nothing but McDonald's three meals a day for a month?!?! In a months time he developed health problems he didn't have before! My goal is to cut out as much of the poison in our foods as possible with the side being it's of teaching my children to feed theirselves and saving what money I can.

I can't say enough good things about manure as fertilizer especially when you know what went into said animal. Have you looked into raising rabbits for meat since you mostly eat chicken? Low food requirements and big returns as far as meat fur and manure (that you don't even need to compost). It may help you fill up your freezer as you are making a decision on a much larger time and money commitment.

This is true. I think if you have the time and space anything you can "do yourself" will save you in the long run. When you factor in all the crap (yes it's exactly crap) that goes into commercially produced foods. I'm trying to slowly steer clear of any overly processed foods. Be it as simple as mixing up my own brownie mix or growing my own fruit and veggies. Sure our grandparents had health issues but nothing like we are seeing in today's time. I think that a big chunk of it is from overly processed preservative filled pesticide coated foods that make up the bulk of most family meals. Did anyone else watch that documentary called Super Size (or something like that) about the guy who ate nothing but McDonald's three meals a day for a month?!?! In a months time he developed health problems he didn't have before! My goal is to cut out as much of the poison in our foods as possible with the side being it's of teaching my children to feed theirselves and saving what money I can.

I can't say enough good things about manure as fertilizer especially when you know what went into said animal. Have you looked into raising rabbits for meat since you mostly eat chicken? Low food requirements and big returns as far as meat fur and manure (that you don't even need to compost). It may help you fill up your freezer as you are making a decision on a much larger time and money commitment.

With you all the way on this! I'm currently reading the 'Humanure handbook'......it's fascinating, innovative & parts are depressing, well worth a read. You can download it for $10.00.
Processed foods will be the downfall of the human race. Many products are being investigated as endocrine disruptors, causing many people to be susceptible to diseases including diabetes. Sue

I think there are many like minded folks out there. 30-40% is not to bad imo.

For me the dilemma is figuring out what to grow and how much of it. I think I should do potatoes since we eat a lot of those, but where can I find some Pasta seeds?
lol.png

Can I make a pound of pasta for less than I pay in the store?

I've considered getting a pig but how to transport it for processing and would I save money in doing so. We eat more pork and chicken than red meat.
My neighbor raised a couple of hogs a few years ago, and I have a friend who has 4 now. Most pigs around here sell for $50.00 to $70.00 when young. Most people raise them to around 250 lbs and then butcher. That is usally around 6 to 7 months old(varies with breeds and feed). A 250 lb hog will yeild around 140 lbs of meat. Buthers around here charge $.50 to $.65 per pound to process. Your expense could range depending on what you feed them.

As for the Pasta seeds, I'm at a loss. LOL

We raise sweet corn, field corn, green beans, purple hull peas, okra, speckled butter beans, squash, cucumber, peppers, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, turnip greens, and snow peas. We should have asparagus next year. Plan to add cauliflower next year as well. We have new fruit trees and berry bushes that should start producing next year as well. We also raise chickens and ducks.

Back
Top Bottom