Homesteaders

Pics
I can get some ones old Cedar wood fence. Will this work for raised beds?

IMHO, you could make this work. Personally I would put two boards together to thicken them up, fence pickets are real thin. If you want the beds longer than 5 or 6 ft (whatever amount of usable wood you have) I would offset the pieces by a couple inches to make them easy to attach to each other.

IMHO, you could make this work. Personally I would put two boards together to thicken them up, fence pickets are real thin. If you want the beds longer than 5 or 6 ft (whatever amount of usable wood you have) I would offset the pieces by a couple inches to make them easy to attach to each other.
Thank you for your input. It sounds like a good plan.

The cement blocks look the most do able for me. I could get it done quickly and wouldn't have to wait for DH to help. Do you think I would have to worry about soil leaking out? I see there is no mortar or anything between them. I guess it wouldn't run out unless it got super saturated, right? What is the purpose for the boards underneath?

You could use some garden fabric on the sides which is what I do. Black plastic would work too. Though I don't think you'd lose much if at all.

I would check CL for materials you could use. I've seen the blocks for free but have my beds done. I also have no truck to pick them up with. I've seen bricks too.

I can get some ones old Cedar wood fence. Will this work for raised beds?

Certainly anything that will hold the soil will work. Mine are all done with non treated pine 2 X 6, 8, 10's whatever I can find. They're also manageable sizes for me too. You can make them however long/short , wide or deep as you want. The point is to not have to roto til.

2' X 4' or 4' X 4'

Hahaha DH volunteered to pick up my Cedar fencing. Well guess what it is going into making chicken coops and duck housing. I told him he can have it if he then finds me something to make my raised beds.
wink.png

We got regular potatoes at the store. We let them "get old" in a dark closet, when they sprouted, we put about 2 inches of potting soil, then the potatoes halved cut side down. We covered them with a combo of soil and composted rabbit poop. Watered, and this is what we got.
We found some cool videos on YouTube about this too.

Back
Top Bottom