Homesteaders

I have been gathering supplies to build my lights/grow stand and have been contemplating something. What if you did the bottom layer as soil/compost then covered the layers as it grows with straw? I've seen that do well in outdoor gardens, so why not for this? I am thinking it would make things a little easier to handle weight wise when it comes time to move/harvest the bin. Thoughts??

I used small leaf mold as my soil covering last year in my started seedlings and it did wonderfully to conserve moisture there and help in growing. I'll be doing the same this year and the small leaf particles are easy to disperse between the small seedlings.

How many birds do you want it to feed?  if it is only a little, lots of the tutorials i have read use various sizes of Glad tupperware type containers with good success.  These small Sterlite containers seem like a great option especially for the price.  Even if this prototype flops i would try and rework it using the same style tubs
[/quote/]

About 25, but it will only be supplement when there is no green outside, and since they are in 3 different pens I'll rotate ant will not see them the fodder daily! It's just the plan for now, if it proves supper easy to grow and maintain then might grow more for them.

Last edited:
I am up to day 4 on my sprouts. My 'oldest' bin is starting to show growth! I will go get some photos after it is done with the drain cycles from dumping the water through. One down fall of my system is that once i pour water into the topmost bin, it needs to remain stacked until it has all drained down to the catchment. not a big deal, except for right now when i want to take photos :)

I am up to day 4 on my sprouts. My 'oldest' bin is starting to show growth! I will go get some photos after it is done with the drain cycles from dumping the water through. One down fall of my system is that once i pour water into the topmost bin, it needs to remain stacked until it has all drained down to the catchment. not a big deal, except for right now when i want to take photos :)
caf.gif
waiting for them!!!

Ok, i already have some observations and lessons on day 4 here is my run down then i will follow up with my lessons at the end

Here is what they look like on 'day 1' I soak them in a coffee can. Currently soaking them for 24 hours

Here is 'day 2' which is 24 hours in the bin. No signs of growth yet.

'Day 3' is 48 hours in bin. Just starting to sprout

And 'Day 4' - 72 hours in bin. plenty of roots coming out. Notice the darker color spots. This bin is starting to grow fuzz and has an off odor.

What i have learned is a few things:
1) probably should only soak oats for 12 hours, not 24. They are looking pretty swollen when i dump them. I also need to start rinsing them before i add them to the 'day 1' bin.
2) oats are not getting enough air causing mold
3) bins are not draining well which could be adding to #2. too much moisture is staying in the bins

I will be figuring out how to change this set up to allow me to leave the lids off and to tilt them more to increase drainage. I think i will be back to my original plan of building a wooden framework to hold the bins. live and learn!

Ok, i already have some observations and lessons on day 4 here is my run down then i will follow up with my lessons at the end

Here is what they look like on 'day 1' I soak them in a coffee can. Currently soaking them for 24 hours

Here is 'day 2' which is 24 hours in the bin. No signs of growth yet.

'Day 3' is 48 hours in bin. Just starting to sprout

And 'Day 4' - 72 hours in bin. plenty of roots coming out. Notice the darker color spots. This bin is starting to grow fuzz and has an off odor.

What i have learned is a few things:
1) probably should only soak oats for 12 hours, not 24. They are looking pretty swollen when i dump them. I also need to start rinsing them before i add them to the 'day 1' bin.
2) oats are not getting enough air causing mold
3) bins are not draining well which could be adding to #2. too much moisture is staying in the bins

I will be figuring out how to change this set up to allow me to leave the lids off and to tilt them more to increase drainage. I think i will be back to my original plan of building a wooden framework to hold the bins. live and learn!
I see
hmm.png

I'll do a trial run in a small container from my kitchen recycles before doing a big batch

I see
hmm.png

I'll do a trial run in a small container from my kitchen recycles before doing a big batch
I wouldn't call my first run a total failure. only the oldest bin is gross, so i have laid the rest out to finish sprouting with the lids off while i rework the stacking. If it was as easy as poking some holes and stacking the bins like that i suppose everyone would do it. Learn and keep moving!

Back
Top Bottom