Homesteaders

If I had thought of garlic and had the catalog earlier in the year I would have planted this fall. I plan to grow some heirloom tomatoes too, need to figure out a way to support the plants better than the round metal cages.

That's quite a variety you plan on planting there. I don't grow any beans to dry and store but my mom does, she lets them dry and in the field, after hey shell them she airs them on a tarp to dry very well before storing. But off course it's easier with the Equator weather. She lives in East Africa.
I don't plan to plant all of these but some.

As for garlic. If you can work the soil you can plant it now. Just be sure not to forget to put on a layers of straw or hay.

As you can see from my pics those plastic fencing things hold the straw in pretty good. The deep straw is very important.

If I had thought of garlic and had the catalog earlier in the year I would have planted this fall. I plan to grow some heirloom tomatoes too, need to figure out a way to support the plants better than the round metal cages. 

That's quite a variety you plan on planting there. I don't grow any beans to dry and store but my mom does, she lets them dry and in the field, after hey shell them she airs them on a tarp to dry very well before storing. But off course it's easier with the Equator weather. She lives in East Africa.
for your mater cages you could wrap the round wire cages in the garden netting. It gives the support. Or you could build a tri-pod with a string from the middle to make the plant grow up. Just shorten the string as needed to keep the plant upright.

For the drying of beans, I live in NY and my family waits until last minute for the beans we want dried to be harvested. Pull the entire plant, root and all if possible. Take to the barn or garage and hang root end up. They will dry beautiful. Yes works for all beans and peas and such.

I certainly would plant it if I lived in zone 7!. It may not come up at the 'appropriate' time, but it will germinate.
Check to see which type of garlic is best for your zone. Some do not do well in warmer climes. I would think you could plant it now, but may be wrong. I would not use seeds but cloves. Seeds will take more time.

for your mater cages you could wrap the round wire cages in the garden netting. It gives the support. Or you could build a tri-pod with a string from the middle to make the plant grow up. Just shorten the string as needed to keep the plant upright.

For the drying of beans, I live in NY and my family waits until last minute for the beans we want dried to be harvested. Pull the entire plant, root and all if possible. Take to the barn or garage and hang root end up. They will dry beautiful. Yes works for all beans and peas and such.
How many pounds of beans do you do each year?

So my order for Annie's is

St. Pierre, Bonnie Best and Homestead tomatoes. These are for canning.

Good Mother Stallard and Hidatsa Shield Figure beans. These are pole types.

I'm going to make copies of my order sheet and keep the catalog with the order. This way when the seeds come I'll know what I ordered and have a description for future reference.

I will place other orders of course but like to order from other places too.

One tomato I will recommend for salads and eating is a Cherry type called "Italian Ice" by Burpee. I grew it the first year it came out and have grown it every year since. It's a nice tasting tomato. I also like the Black Cherokee types. They're great right off the vine.

Does anyone have a favorite Carrot they like to grow for storage?

Gotta get on that potato order now.
wink.png

Cattle panel makes great support for maters, especially the vine varieties. We mount it a foot off the ground to get more height from it and then just weave the tomato vines in and out the panel as they grow. Some people cut the panels up and form boxes out of them, some form them into an arch or teepee and some just zip tie them to T posts like we do. I prefer the latter method as it maximizes the use of the panel and cuts down on the work of it all to just zip tie the panel to T post and trellis everything in a row. Then you can work both sides of the panel and can reach tomatoes, beans, cukes, melons easily from both sides.

That's a great idea, if only I had some panels handy. I might get something similar at the habitat store.
hmm.png

I don't plan to plant all of these but some.

As for garlic. If you can work the soil you can plant it now. Just be sure not to forget to put on a layers of straw or hay.

As you can see from my pics those plastic fencing things hold the straw in pretty good. The deep straw is very important.

Monday I'll check the store for some bulbs, the ground here is still warm, it's supposed to cool down to freezing this coming week. I wanted the Killarney Red due to it's strong spicy flavor, if I can't get it I will plant what is available and plan to order it for fall this year.

Back
Top Bottom