Homesteaders

"@OrganicFarmWife" we have seen this and plan on using something similar for chicks out into the run area off of the coop with the tunnel leading back into their crate within the coop.

@Beekissed great article on FF I think I will start a batch tonight. For our feed we are mixing laying formula with whole corn kernels. @Tiktok mentions fermenting what you are feeding. Do you know if the process would work with full kernels?

We are looking at our garden beds and are going to construct them to the dimensions of our tractor so the girls can help during the winter. They would completely free range if we could let them but city says they have to be in cage. I hope we don't disturb laying too much by rotating 2 at a time to spend the day in the tractor????

I can sure understand this, Have you seen the damage caused by a chicken running at large? The neighborhood kids would not be safe outside. Rabies would run rampant. ( Sarcasm intended)..

It is just one of those things I can not understand, Like no roosters in town, Because they crow a few times a day. BUT the neighbors dog that barks 23 hours a day is ok,,( ok off my soap box)

They will get very use to being in the tractor. It would only mess them up for a few days at most, chickens are very resilient.

If your backyard is fenced is that considered caged by the city?

Last edited:
[quote name="duluthralphie"

I totally agree on the dogs. Even my own sometimes.

No fenced back yard. No rooster allowed either...haha. Our run is made of fence panels with chicken wire stretched over the top. So far our interesting neighbor has not found fault yet with that but I'm sure she will soon.

What about letting them be in the tractor during the day but moving them by hand back to the run before sundown and letting them head into the coop naturally. Would this be too stressful.

The tractor is small but has water a beating box and some roosts. We were think of taking two per day rotating each day so each bird would be out there every 2 days or so

Last edited:
@klopklop. Not too worried about making money just tracking eggs to cost in store pure $ so we are comparing cheap eggs to our higher quality yes but it is an exercise of income replacement.

We have been switching out hens with friends who aren't laying. Bad thing is some I just gave away started laying for my friend hut what I got in return has not as of yet.

Did have one other hen join the party today so 2 laying now hopefully.

We will keep plugging along. The will help the garden too and I'm not sure how to count that as I don't normally pay for manure but now I will have some.

Victor and Mother Tucker
We sometimes compare our egg prices to those of the cheap commercial eggs when we should compare them to the "Pastured" or "freerange" egg prices.

As for the manure, we also fail to quantify that into dollars and cents, but we should since chicken manure is loaded high nitrogen. Chicken manure is good for Raspberries.

I once was at a plant sale where they were selling horse manure for $5 a small bag. I have paid for horse manure.

I average in my savings on bought manure . We use old bedding bags to store the composted manure until it's needed for the garden or orchard area. 1 bedding bag of manure is equally priced to a medium size bag of fertilizer. So for every bag used that's x saved and turned back into farm supplies. We might no "make" money yet but we definitely see a big savings. Every seed pack cost roughly $3 and we plant 30 various veggies every year. So just in seed saving we save $90 a year. Its all about start small and grow with the least amount of money as possible and make money off your crops, eggs, meat or other products that essentially cost nothing more than your time and the gas to run the equipment.

Thanx @rancher hicks. We do compare ours to cheap eggs as although much better quality. If I didn't have the birds I would be buying the cheap eggs due to budget constraints.

I did find something posted from another user that did try and quantify their manure which was nice. I haven't paid for manure before and so it is hard to put a price on something that I wouldn't buy, but will TOTALLY use for free. I believe horse may go for more as if I remember correctly it can be immediately used and doesn't need to break down any more.

Horse manure has to break down at least a year. It is too hot fresh. I was ill informed my first year with a garden and added fresh . Don't do it let it turn to dirt first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom