Homesteaders

Ok folks, I have a plant dilema. Last spring I planted flower bulbs(they didnt survive) so I planted onions and garlic side by side(both did great) harvested both and had empty planting spots by the time fall came around. My problem is now I have a plant popping up where I planted the 3 different plants and I dont know what it is. Looks like a green onion at the root area but has leaves like garlic and has a mild garlic onion taste to the green leafy parts. None of the plants went to seed and they are growing exactly where I did the others. Any ideas
sounds like garlic.... a clove might have fallen off... green garlic tastes milder. btw garlic is usually planted in the fall, you get bigger heads

Ok folks, I have a plant dilema. Last spring I planted flower bulbs(they didnt survive) so I planted onions and garlic side by side(both did great) harvested both and had empty planting spots by the time fall came around. My problem is now I have a plant popping up where I planted the 3 different plants and I dont know what it is. Looks like a green onion at the root area but has leaves like garlic and has a mild garlic onion taste to the green leafy parts. None of the plants went to seed and they are growing exactly where I did the others. Any ideas??
Maybe you left just a bulb or to of each and got a yummy cross? Give it time and see what it does.

Its not 1 or 2 plants, I have a bunch in bunches. The one on the far left is an onion left over, but all the green across the bottom and up the right is the mystery plant.

Its not 1 or 2 plants, I have a bunch in bunches. The one on the far left is an onion left over, but all the green across the bottom and up the right is the mystery plant.

You have at least two different types of plants there... (not counting the one on the far left) What kind of flower bulbs did you plant?
While bulbs will not 'cross' without flowering, some (notably garlic in this case) will also reproduce via 'bulbils' from the basal plate. They're tiny and often overlooked in the soil at harvest. My guess is that most of your sprouts are garlic; there's one, possibly two, small plants just above and inside the curve of greens in the pic that appear to be onions - unless your flowers were dwarf daffodils or freesias.

They might be red onions, I had a couple that didnt get very big, the onion on the left is a walla walla onion. I dont remember exactly what I planted as flowers but it isnt the 2 kinds you said. I will go with surprise garlic, I am ok with that.:D

I was watching the cooking channel today during naptime for the kids. They made lamb burgers on the grill and I have never had lamb before but it looked yummy. Has anyone on here ever used it? I want to get some Babydoll sheep down the road, and they are a dual breed so I was thinking if the kids and I like it might go down that path. Hubby has had leg of lamb and said it was really good and juicy so he is ok with going that route. I figure I will see if I can find a pound or 2 of ground lamb and see how it goes over.

Back
Top Bottom