Homesteaders

It's the better investment for a homestead, though.  ;)    

Depends on your end goal. We want Nigerian Dwarfs for milk. Will a brush hog give us milk? Hahaha. But really, both are investments and if funds were unlimited, we'd probably have both already. Little baby steps for us right now haha.

Depends on your end goal. We want Nigerian Dwarfs for milk. Will a brush hog give us milk? Hahaha. But really, both are investments and if funds were unlimited, we'd probably have both already. Little baby steps for us right now haha.

Actually, if you use it to improve pasture, it can be instrumental in providing you with more milk. Can the brush hog die from parasites, disease, kidding, etc? If the goat dies, can you fix it or is it dead for good?

Of course, the brush hog can't replicate itself, but it sure will cause less expense, headaches, stress and trouble than will the average goat.
wink.png
And you CAN pet a brush hog...I've seen it done.
big_smile.png

In the end I plan on having a brush hog as well as my critters but for now it's just chickens and veggies. Next is bunnies and turkeys. They can all fit in fairly small homes. Later comes mid sized then our big pets.

Oh, I found a new use for paper 50# feed bags. I am using them to line the walkways between my garden boxes until I can get my chipper out and cover them. I have also found a new use for wood pallets. They work great for planting lettuce. One row is 1 week, the next week plant the next. And so on all summer. As one row is harvested re plant , after adding more compost, with more lettuce. You could also enclose one side of it with plywood, give it legs and make it a table covered in lettuce so you can pick with out even bending over.

I've also planted 2 tomato plants sticking out of a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket that's being hung from a tree branch. Figured I would try my own "topsy-turvy " planter.

Oh, I found a new use for paper 50# feed bags. I am using them to line the walkways between my garden boxes until I can get my chipper out and cover them. I have also found a new use for wood pallets. They work great for planting lettuce. One row is 1 week, the next week plant the next. And so on all summer. As one row is harvested re plant , after adding more compost, with more lettuce. You could also enclose one side of it with plywood, give it legs and make it a table covered in lettuce so you can pick with out even bending over.

I've also planted 2 tomato plants sticking out of a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket that's being hung from a tree branch. Figured I would try my own "topsy-turvy " planter.

Thanks for the tip on staggering of growing lettuce in the wood pallets my son can the pallets from his job for free.

My oldest son and I dug up roughly 80 wild ramps (still 100's left) growing on a embankment a couple miles away from my house... we cleared a area under a birch tree on the hill area of our property so hopefully they will survive and give us a endless supply over the next several years as they multiply.

My cousin has a pile of composted cow poop that he offered me to put in my raised beds..I had cleaned out my old strawberry bed (rehomed the plants to a new bed my son & I made) so the compost will go in there for the onion's I'm planting.

Thanks for the tip on staggering of growing lettuce in the wood pallets my son can the pallets from his job for free.

My oldest son and I dug up roughly 80 wild ramps (still 100's left) growing on a embankment a couple miles away from my house... we cleared a area under a birch tree on the hill area of our property so hopefully they will survive and give us a endless supply over the next several years as they multiply.

My cousin has a pile of composted cow poop that he offered me to put in my raised beds..I had cleaned out my old strawberry bed (rehomed the plants to a new bed my son & I made) so the compost will go in there for the onion's I'm planting.
if you have any questions or ideas about planting feel free to ask. I love research, it's my only way to learn new things.

You can build raised beds out of pallets to. Remove all boards from one side and fill in the gaps on the other with them. Screw 4 together in a box. Fill with compost, leafs , manure and dirt. Plant and keep filling every year to keep it full.

Last edited:
My cousin has a pile of composted cow poop that he offered me to put in my raised beds..I had cleaned out my old strawberry bed (rehomed the plants to a new bed my son & I made) so the compost will go in there for the onion's I'm planting.
Just putting in my 2 cents...my onions and garlic didn't do too well in that kind of setup. I don't know if I didn't have enough soil. Or the fertilizer (goat poop in my case) made the soil too rich. My observation is that the allium family (onions, garlic, chives etc.) do better where the soil is almost considered poor in nutrients. Most, if not all, of the herbs seem to be the same way for me. Maybe it is just the types I try to grow. But the soil conditions is the common denominator.

Back
Top Bottom