Homesteaders

I'm just now starting build my setup for a rabbitry, what method did you use to kill your rabbit? From videos I like the ringer option because it seems fool proof.
I use cervical dislocation just like the wringer, except I just use a shovel handle. Put them on the ground, lay shovel across their neck just behind ears, use foot to hold down handle, grab back legs and quickly pull up. It's over in seconds

I'm just now starting build my setup for a rabbitry, what method did you use to kill your rabbit? From videos I like the ringer option because it seems fool proof.

I use cervical dislocation just like the wringer, except I just use a shovel handle. Put them on the ground, lay shovel across their neck just behind ears, use foot to hold down handle, grab back legs and quickly pull up. It's over in seconds

I have used that, call it the broomstick stick method. It is how my grandma always killed her birds

I never could get the knack of that....I think I'm too fat for that method. It requires balancing on a broomstick with all your weight, while also pulling upward on a chicken's feet. I have average size feet and am too heavy to balance on a one inch thick stick, so trying to exert weight on the stick while also pulling upward on a big chicken just seems out of my capabilities. I always fall off, the chicken's head slips out from underneath the stick and there I am with a half stretched chicken, feeling bad for having even started to stretch it in the first place.

I think a chicken wringer would work better....I've used the wires on a truck gate to create such a place and that worked well enough to get them dead but it required pulling downward or outward instead of up...not a good fit for me either.

I like the killing cone just fine...no room for mistakes or balancing or accidentally getting it wrong or ripping a bird's head clean off before you meant to do so, etc. For an old fat lady, after trying many different methods over 40 yrs of killing, it seems to fit me the best.

I never could get the knack of that....I think I'm too fat for that method.  It requires balancing on a broomstick with all your weight, while also pulling upward on a chicken's feet.  I have average size feet and am too heavy to balance on a one inch thick stick, so trying to exert weight on the stick while also pulling upward on a big chicken just seems out of my capabilities.  I always fall off, the chicken's head slips out from underneath the stick and there I am with a half stretched chicken, feeling bad for having even started to stretch it in the first place. 

I think a chicken wringer would work better....I've used the wires on a truck gate to create such a place and that worked well enough to get them dead but it required pulling downward or outward instead of up...not a good fit for me either. 

I like the killing cone just fine...no room for mistakes or balancing or accidentally getting it wrong or ripping a bird's head clean off before you meant to do so, etc.  For an old fat lady, after trying many different methods over 40 yrs of killing, it seems to fit me the best. 

We generally use cones (DH does the cutting), I like it because they bleed out. But I was not going to process this one and I did not trust my hand to cut with the knife, I figure it would more then likely be me that got cut. It is a very easy way to take care of a mean rooster.

Okay caught up.

1. Brandy wine seed are easy enough to find wtihout ordering. Different vairties. Red , Pink, . Though most seed compaines have them.

2. Finaly got the potaotes in. Found seeds art Wegmans local grocer. $2.99 each. Six towers done today. Purple majesty, yukon gold, russet bubank, , Kennebec. and Red Norland. Some had six some had eight. The Kennebec had eithget. Did two twoers of those. big tubers.

Computer still slow .

Okay caught up.

1. Brandy wine seed are easy enough to find wtihout ordering. Different vairties. Red , Pink, . Though most seed compaines have them.

2. Finaly got the potaotes in. Found seeds art Wegmans local grocer. $2.99 each. Six towers done today. Purple majesty, yukon gold, russet bubank, , Kennebec. and Red Norland. Some had six some had eight. The Kennebec had eithget. Did two twoers of those. big tubers.

Computer still slow .

You'll love those Brandywines RH if you haven't had them before.

What's up with you 'puter? Just old and slow like us or is it some kind of connection problem?

My new crochet buddy, Peanut Butter. His owner is in the process of house shopping and moving so I get a tripod kitty for a little bit.

We have small jealousy issues in my house. She booted the cat and climbed up to snuggle and sleep. She is now a whopping 49 pounds!! Still 20 pounds lighter than the rest of the litter but she has a figure instead of the "puppy" belly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom