Homesteaders

Same with this. Its fuzzy!! And my chickens won't touch it. Is it a waste of space or does it have a use?
@OrganicFarmWife I was so tempted to quote you but I restrained myself. hehe Yes this is wooly lamb's ear it is a medicinal herb and has antibiotic properties. It is recommended for topical use and has been used as a bandage forever. It absorbs well and provides protection for wounds as well as helping the blood clot more quickly. It has also been used by Native Americans for 'that time of the month'.
:D I was almost right. It was one of those things kids tell each other while growing up, so it does not surprise me it wasn't completely accurate.

I know I'm a little late on the asparagus conversation but I started mine in a raised bed two years ago. We are harvesting for the first time this year. We purchased heirloom organic seeds and direct sowed first week of May. It's been going like gangbusters ever since. The nice thing about an asparagus bed is once you get it established if you do not take too many spears and maintain the root health you will have asparagus for 20 years and the only real work you do it clear the dried fern each spring.

I'd highly recommend it.
My asparagus patch is in it's second season and I can't wait until next Spring! I confess to snagging a few spears this year but I look forward to actually getting a meal's worth instead of just munching on a raw spear while I tend to chickens and weed the garden lol

My husband @OEF5 grills asparagus with zucchini, longneck squash, mushrooms, a little EVOO, rosemary and paprika in a grill basket and it is amazing! So when we get a few spears that is what we are doing with it. :)

so I found what I want for mothers day. Isn't she precious? ! She is 3 weeks old.

yes. Sadly I can't have her. I have no fencing or barn area.

Well I've seen some nice Hoop houses that would make a nice home. Much sturdier than I've built for my chickens of course.

Now to everyone else,

The ALBC has come out with an updated list of endangered breeds. Please have a look and if possible help preserve one of the many breeds in need.

You may be surprised to see, Rhode Island Reds and Whites on the list. The reason is that there are TWO varieties of some breeds. Commercial and Heritage.

These breeds were at one time a Dual Purpose breed. Heavy for the stew pot and Egg layers for the Omelet. Should you consider either of these breeds look for someone raising the latter.

If you're not into incubating keeping a few birds that go broody is good idea. As a rule I keep a closed flock and either use my limited skills with an incubator or use a hen to hatch. Hens needs some supervision but do a better job.

If I were younger, I'd surely got me some Choctaw hogs.

Have a nice day, get lots of work done.

Rancher, to much to do, Hicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom