Homesteaders

I can't seem to be able to talk the wife into getting a goat. My yard is not big enough for a cow.

Last edited:
I can't seem to be able to talk the wife into getting a goat. My yard is not big enough for a cow.

Show her pictures of baby Nigerian Dwarf goats. If her heart doesnt melt, I dont know what to tell ya. That's the breed we plan on getting next spring. Great milk goats in a compact size.

Well I've seen some nice Hoop houses that would make a nice home. Much sturdier than I've built for my chickens of course.

Now to everyone else,

The ALBC has come out with an updated list of endangered breeds. Please have a look and if possible help preserve one of the many breeds in need.

You may be surprised to see, Rhode Island Reds and Whites on the list. The reason is that there are TWO varieties of some breeds. Commercial and Heritage.

These breeds were at one time a Dual Purpose breed. Heavy for the stew pot and Egg layers for the Omelet. Should you consider either of these breeds look for someone raising the latter.

If you're not into incubating keeping a few birds that go broody is good idea. As a rule I keep an open flock and either use my limited skills with an incubator or use a hen to hatch. Hens needs some supervision but do a better job.

If I were younger, I'd surely got me some Choctaw hogs.

Have a nice day, get lots of work done.

Rancher, to much to do, Hicks.
This is why I'm raising Icelandic chickens. There are reported to be lest than 5000 left on Earth, about 4000 of which are still in Iceland. The other 1000ish are here in America being carefully raised by a hand full of breeders. A dozen youngsters almost at the point of maturity are in my care.

Rancher Hicks - I had no idea there was an endangered breeds list. Thanks!

Worked on our chicken run and coop today - it's coming together nicely. I found a bunch of rebar that the previous owner left along the back fence {buried under the leaves} and it is completing my run nicely. I had to do some figuring to get the pieces to work as I didn't have anything to cut them with, but with some careful bending they are working fine. I did have to trench part of it to bury the extra bent length though, and MAN is my yard rocky. I think the builders 40 years ago must have just dumped rocky fill to finish the yard. Now it's just waiting on zip ties to hold all the joints and then hardware cloth to cover it all. Worked on our chicken run and coop today - it's coming together nicely. I found a bunch of rebar that the previous owner left along the back fence {buried under the leaves} and it is completing my run nicely. I had to do some figuring to get the pieces to work as I didn't have anything to cut them with, but with some careful bending they are working fine. I did have to trench part of it to bury the extra bent length though, and MAN is my yard rocky. I think the builders 40 years ago must have just dumped rocky fill to finish the yard. Now it's just waiting on zip ties to hold all the joints and then hardware cloth to cover it all.

Can't wait to get these chicks out of my bedroom - they are louder than I expected, plus we have one REALLY loud one.

Rancher Hicks - I had no idea there was an endangered breeds list. Thanks!

Worked on our chicken run and coop today - it's coming together nicely. I found a bunch of rebar that the previous owner left along the back fence {buried under the leaves} and it is completing my run nicely. I had to do some figuring to get the pieces to work as I didn't have anything to cut them with, but with some careful bending they are working fine. I did have to trench part of it to bury the extra bent length though, and MAN is my yard rocky. I think the builders 40 years ago must have just dumped rocky fill to finish the yard. Now it's just waiting on zip ties to hold all the joints and then hardware cloth to cover it all. Worked on our chicken run and coop today - it's coming together nicely. I found a bunch of rebar that the previous owner left along the back fence {buried under the leaves} and it is completing my run nicely. I had to do some figuring to get the pieces to work as I didn't have anything to cut them with, but with some careful bending they are working fine. I did have to trench part of it to bury the extra bent length though, and MAN is my yard rocky. I think the builders 40 years ago must have just dumped rocky fill to finish the yard. Now it's just waiting on zip ties to hold all the joints and then hardware cloth to cover it all.

Can't wait to get these chicks out of my bedroom - they are louder than I expected, plus we have one REALLY loud one.

To: Everyone,

I keep Delaware. When I first started I couldn't find anyone who was working with them. Being a "composite" breed they have been recreated, but the SOP is hard to get to. If we can keep a multiple of breeds I think we should keep at least one endangered breed. Many of the endangered breeds are a good Dual purpose bird. Hatcheries rarely carry a good hardy line.

I should have stated I keep a "Closed" flock. Not and open one. A closed flock allows me to keep track of hardiness. Weeding out weaker birds. When you do this you'll rarely lose a bird to illness.

To: TX, you've seen the pics of my property? Folks just dump anything with the intention of covering it with good soil. Good soil does wear away. You can't plow some places anymore. This is why I use raised beds. Usually it has to be 12" deep or close to it. Still I can grow quite a bit of food for the house.

I dug a trench next to this where a path will go and buried it. I couldn't break it up nor move it far. I used a lever to move it into the hole.

Some things like this will become lawn art. Just like this discarded Deer target. I plan to surround his legs with poultry wire and eventually he'll be covered with Ivy.

That big tire will be turning into a "Hobbit door" to the woods. Painted a green or yellow or red or, or, or.

Some chunks of cement are being used to create a walkway.

Old doors can be used to make entrances to other places. Like this door we replaced.

Morning glories or some other vine, will be trellised to the sides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom