Homesteaders

There are over fifty endangered chicken breeds, as well as nearly three dozen types of ducks, geese, and turkeys currently threatened with extinction in the United States alone, according to The Livestock Conservancy, an organization dedicated to saving endangered farm animals from extinction.

Just thought you'd like to know.
I raise (and hopefully breed in the future) the Icelandic landrace chicken that's on that list as threatened. There are just over 3000 of them on the entire planet, 2000 of which are still in Iceland. There is a small group of dedicated folks attempting to preserve the amazing, unique genetics of these amazing birds brought to Iceland by the Vikings.

I am following the Icelandic breed (somewhat half heartedly). My concern, based on my random sampling of posts is that this breed is going to become watered down in this country, b/c a lot of people get them for the novelty of having something different/special, but don't do what it takes to keep them from crossing with the rest of their flock. I would love to see many BY flocksters breeding their own birds. This would help develop birds that are selectively bred to excel within a particular climate. It would also ensure a wide gene pool in case of future issues with hatcheries and/or shipping across state lines. The day may come when such shipping is banned. Look at all of the "hoopla" about avian flu a couple of years ago. My advice: If you can position yourself to breed your own birds, do so.

Has anyone bought any of these magazines on flash drive or CD?   You know Mother Earth News or Grit?  I'm considering the Grit one. 

Not yet, but it's on my wish list. Some things you can find in their online archives. Have you seen "Countryside" magazine? It's changed a bit in recents years, but it's still my favorite.

I had a online subscription to Mother Earth New's but gosh internet was still 95
or earlier
I don't know what you mean. Do you mean issues from 1995 or earlier? I've been buying back issues off Ebay if they're cheap enough. I won't pay $10 and issue that's just crazy. There are better homesteading ideas from back then than now I think. Cheaper ideas. I could be wrong.
Then again there is so much for free on the internet too. Why buy a magazine when you can get more ideas on the internet and not pay. Magazine prices have gone through the roof. Unless it has more than two things I'm interested in reading I don't buy it.

Egg Producer Feather Fixer

Crude protein 21% 18%
Lysine 1% .75%
Methionine .32% .35%
Crude fat…………………..3% 4%
Crude fiber………………..4.5%………………………………...........6.0%
Calcium……………min. 3.45 max 3. 95.…………………………..min 3.25 Max 3.75
Phosphorus……………..min.0.8%……………………………….........min 0.45%
Salt. …………………min. 0.3% max.8%......................................min 0.25 max 0.65%
Sodium………………….min 0.28% max 0.34%……………………….min.0.15% max 0.23%
Vitamin A……………min 4,500 IU/LB……………………………..min. 3,300 IU/LB
Vitamin D3.…………min. 1,500 IU/LB……………………………..Min 1,000 IU/LB
Manganese min. 110ppm
Selenium min 0.3 ppm
Vitamin E min 20 IU/LB
Lactobacillus Acidophilus min 5.1 CFU/LB
Lactobacillus casei min 5.1 mil CFU/LB
Bifidobacterium thermophilum min 5.1 mil CFU/LB
Enterococcus faecium min 5.1 mil CFU/gram

Can anyone tell me what all these added things are? Yes I can look them up but perhaps someone here knows what they are and why I should pay more for the Feather Fixer ?

Look
Egg Producer                                                                Feather Fixer

Crude protein                      21%                                                          18%

Lysine                                 1%                                                              .75%

Methionine                          .32%                                                           .35%

Crude fat…………………..3%                                                             4%

Crude fiber………………..4.5%………………………………...........6.0%

Calcium……………min. 3.45  max 3. 95.…………………………..min 3.25 Max 3.75

Phosphorus……………..min.0.8%……………………………….........min  0.45%

Salt.       …………………min. 0.3%  max.8%......................................min 0.25 max 0.65%

Sodium………………….min 0.28% max 0.34%……………………….min.0.15% max  0.23%

Vitamin A……………min 4,500   IU/LB……………………………..min. 3,300 IU/LB

Vitamin D3.…………min.  1,500 IU/LB……………………………..Min 1,000 IU/LB 

Manganese   min.  110ppm

Selenium      min 0.3 ppm

Vitamin E    min  20 IU/LB

Lactobacillus Acidophilus  min 5.1 CFU/LB

Lactobacillus casei       min 5.1 mil  CFU/LB

Bifidobacterium thermophilum min 5.1 mil CFU/LB

Enterococcus faecium  min 5.1 mil CFU/gram 

Can anyone tell me what all these added things are?   Yes I can look them up but perhaps someone here knows what they are and why I should pay more for the Feather Fixer ?  

looks like minerals and probiotics

Back
Top Bottom