Homesteaders

We have a new predator to add to the list. This is only the second nearby sighting in 6 months, and it has never shown interest in the flock. Anyone else have experience with bald eagles showing interest or attacking your flock?

And Miss Penny taught the pullets some bad habits. Hopefully they give it up soon. They are not going to be as slender and aerodynamic as she is.

(edited because my typing is not good on the mobile device!)
My big dorkings somehow get their happy selves up that high. Haven't yet figured out a way to stop them. I think it is one of those things if they do it every day then they can do it when they get big.

In my experience, Bald Eagles are not all big on hunting land animals - I have seen a lot of them fishing, eating road kill or snacking on the "bone yard" after hunting season. I have never seen one actually hunting over land.

That said, my dad had a video of an eagle attacking a heron that was out wading in the lake. It tried to drag it to shore, but the water level was low and the mud along the shore prevented it from getting its meal to solid ground. The eagle managed to get itself free of the mud after over 10 minutes of flopping around - it made it to the top of a nearby pine tree and spent the next hour drying off before it flew away. Suprisingly, the heron survived and flew off before the eagle did. lol

We have a new predator to add to the list. This is only the second nearby sighting in 6 months, and it has never shown interest in the flock. Anyone else have experience with bald eagles showing interest or attacking your flock?

And Miss Penny taught the pullets some bad habits. Hopefully they give it up soon. They are not going to be as slender and aerodynamic as she is.

(edited because my typing is not good on the mobile device!)

I've had them all around me, feeding on the dead chickens found in the chicken litter that the farmers spread all over their hay fields but I've not had any take any dabs at the flock...of course, the dogs were out there, so that might have been a factor. Also had a nested pair of osprey next to my place and they ignored the chickens too.

I find owls and various hawks to be more of a problem than eagles.

Something funny...just after I typed that post I heard the rooster alarming like crazy and saw chickens running for cover, while the dogs were running towards the area of the alarm call. I got curious about all the fuss and stepped out the door to see a big ol' red tail hawk beating feet out of the area.
lol.png
Guess he never counted on those dogs running towards his kill zone.

I have to wonder just how often these little dramas are played out here when we are not around to hear/see them. Since I haven't had one successful redtail incursion on a flock in 40 yrs, I'm thinking they are one of our less successful aerial preds....but I do think it helps to have a wary flock, a good and attentive rooster and a couple of dogs on the alert out there, ready to pounce on that hawk if it gets low enough.

I'm really glad I got Ben, as Jake was just not the type to pursue hawks....my old dog, Lucy, was but Jake just never saw the point, I don't think. Ben is a whole 'nother breed of cat...er...dog, so he doesn't like anything getting his chickens.

Early for hawks, isn't it? The blue jays were screaming their heads off here around noon. I never did find out what they were talking about.

Mine don't seem to migrate....they are here all winter long.
roll.png
Seems to be the same mated pair that comes, as when they flee before the murder of crows, they go right back to same direction each time...I'm assuming that is the direction of their nesting area.

Thanks for all the eagle input. Good to know!! Dare I say that they are kinda less.... majestic... eating road kill?

We are on the hawk highway for migration. We also have some that winter over. I usually have a loss this time of year to a hawk (knocking on wood) but it has not happened yet. Could be that I have a lot of eyes on the sky right now growing out four mottled java roosters in the flock with my seasoned hawk watching 3 year old EE rooster. I had one scope out the flock from the ash tree a few days ago. The rooster alarmed and everyone went to cover and around came our Lilly dog and spooked it out of the tree.

I usually listen for the jays or the crows when I let the flock out. Gives me peace of mind that the hawks will stay away. I do miss my old Willie Roo, though. It was amazing to see him send the hens to cover and stand in the open with his chest out beckoning the hawks to try their luck. They would swoop down and he would jump to meet them. Never lost a hen (that had sense and didn't wander off into the woods alone and squawking all about it) on his watch. He went down two summers ago defending his flock against a dog attack. As a good rooster should, he was the first to go. Not without putting up a fight for over 200ft, though. A legend around here, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the eagle input. Good to know!! Dare I say that they are kinda less.... majestic... eating road kill?

We are on the hawk highway for migration. We also have some that winter over. I usually have a loss this time of year to a hawk (knocking on wood) but it has not happened yet. Could be that I have a lot of eyes on the sky right now growing out four mottled java roosters in the flock with my seasoned hawk watching 3 year old EE rooster. I had one scope out the flock from the ash tree a few days ago. The rooster alarmed and everyone went to cover and around came our Lilly dog and spooked it out of the tree.

I usually listen for the jays or the crows when I let the flock out. Gives me peace of mind that the hawks will stay away. I do miss my old Willie Roo, though. It was amazing to see him send the hens to cover and stand in the open with his chest out beckoning the hawks to try their luck. They would swoop down and he would jump to meet them. Never lost a hen (that had sense and didn't wander off into the woods alone and squawking all about it) on his watch. He went down two summers ago defending his flock against a dog attack. As a good rooster should, he was the first to go. Not without putting up a fight for over 200ft, though. A legend around here, that's for sure.
WOW that is an impressive rooster. The rooster in my main coop unfortunately is the first one to hide, squawking the whole way (at least he is a noisy coward). If he wasn't so good looking, put fine bone on his progeny and a gentlemen to the ladies (and most importantly me) he would go...

WOW that is an impressive rooster.   The rooster in my main coop unfortunately is the first one to hide, squawking the whole way (at least he is a noisy coward). If he wasn't so good looking,  put fine bone on his progeny and a gentlemen to the ladies (and most importantly me) he would go...  

If you were near me I'd give you one od my boys! Best roosters ever, they do the same thing that @MistyMountain s rooster did!

Back
Top Bottom