Homesteaders

think where going to get into alpacas for weed control for the horse pasture then hope to raise cows some time in the future. (also hoping for a guard llama for them :) )
I had heard that llamas make excellent guard animals... then I talked to someone who raised them and she just scoffed and said nope.
I've heard donkeys work well. Has anyone had experience with them as guards?

I've heard donkeys work well. Has anyone had experience with them as guards?[/QUOTE]

I've "heard" many people talk about how they are good for coyotes etc...
I've seen pics of a mule attacking a Mt. Lion after stalking the rider his wife and dogs. The mule attacked it after he got off to shot the cat.

I've heard donkeys work well. Has anyone had experience with them as guards?

I've "heard" many people talk about how they are good for coyotes etc...
I've seen pics of a mule attacking a Mt. Lion after stalking the rider his wife and dogs. The mule attacked it after he got off to shot the cat.[/QUOTE]
We got 2 Jenny’s about 5 years ago after an increase in coyote siteings near our cow pastures. Have never had a problem with a coyote actually attacking calves, but since getting the donkeys we have not seen any near the pastures. The proof I have is that anytime I go in the pasture with one of my dogs or goats the donkeys chase them, I’ve even seen one of the donkeys dunk the head of one of my dogs in the pond. I would like to be able to trust them with my dogs but at the same time I know that if it was a strange animal they would take care of it. Not all animals are the same though and you could get a dude donkey. For instance don’t get a jack, my neighbor had his jack kick his bull in the jaw and break it, he had to be sent to slaughter.

well just caught a coon last night. just skinned it and now am going to try and tan it. (along with a weasel and mink i caught this last winter.)
which method are you going to use to tan it? I have only used salt and alum.. or a kit once.
Never did the brain tanning

Back
Top Bottom