Homesteading is hard... my poor turkey hen

Today we found some devastating news...😭 I went outside to the turkey coop to check on our turkey hen that is broody, she is on day 26 and had 13 eggs, when I saw a trail of red fire ants leading under her...I lifted her up to find 2 dead poults still mostly in their shell squished. We looked around and found the other egg about 20 feet from the nest half eaten.😩 Dolly Pardon ( the turkey hen) looked kind of anxious and some of her feather on the legs and tail were torn out. I think it was some sort of mice or rat... she would never do something like this...We are so dissapionted that this happened so close to the hatch day.:th:hitWhat does it sound like to you? Predator or the hen? I hope the rest of them make it! HELP US!! What should we do? Move her to a totally enclosed area or keep her in the nest?? Please reply! Thanks! @R2elk @Bigtom Turkey @Ridgerunner @Kiki @HeatherKellyB @Overo Mare @MissE @Chiknoodle @cmobley @CHlCKEN @RosemaryDuck @JacinLarkwell
So sorry for your loss! I can't be much help as I am pretty new to this but I just wanted to send condolences

Back
Top Bottom