FEAREDALPHA

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
Gilbert Arizona
As you read the title you can probably assume this is my first pigeon. I saw a video on youtube about racing pigeons and was absolutely jaw dropped lol. I stood up til' 3 in the morning researching them and found a white homing pigeon for sale for $100.00. I bought it the next day haha. My plan is to keep him as a personal pet but also keep him to fly from a mile or 5 miles away from his coop. I am only feeding him one ounce of food a day, i do this so one he doesnt get fat and two he comes back to be fed (a part of training). I've only has him for one day and i know i cant let him fly until he has been locked up for a month or 2. Should i give it unlimited water? I know you shouldn't give them unlimited food but what about water? Also i will not be getting him a mate i understand it makes it harder for him to want to return but im going to spend time with it alot. Oh and some other useful information is it was from foyspigeonsupplies.com as a white racing homer and he is 6 months old!

I wish for lots of advice and lots of long comments please!!!

Attachments

• 49BA64C5-122B-41C0-AF19-8FF563CAF880.jpeg
    49BA64C5-122B-41C0-AF19-8FF563CAF880.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 16
Let me tackle some of your questions, and give some ideas/opinions about raising your pigeon.

white homing pigeon for sale for $100.00. I bought it the next day haha.
That is a going price from a retailer who sells for a profit, and does pay for pricey shipping. I purchased my white homers for under $20 each, but did have to get them myself. The HIGH DOLLAR pigeons, are usually racing line winner bloodlines.

My plan is to keep him as a personal pet but also keep him to fly from a mile or 5 miles away from his coop. I've only has him for one day and i know i cant let him fly until he has been locked up for a month or 2.
My pigeons were pets as well. I would loft fly them daily. I did toss fly some, and they did return. I flew those that were homeset to my loft. Keeping your pigeon locked up for 2 months is no guarantee that he will homeset to your loft. Being a lone pigeon is also a factor, that once freed after 2 months, may decide to split and search out a mate. You will be out one pigeon, and $100 cash:hit

I am only feeding him one ounce of food a day, i do this so one he doesnt get fat and two he comes back to be fed (a part of training). Should i give it unlimited water? I know you shouldn't give them unlimited food but what about water?

I never tried to put my pigeons on a diet. They had food available inside loft. They never got fat.:idunno. I know many keepers do feed their pigeons twice per day. If you choose that route, then have feed available for 30 minutes, and remove any after that period. I do know that certain pro pigeon peeps do adhere to a scientific diet for their racers. I never raced, and had no desires to do so. My pigeons were my pets.
Provide plenty of water always, and make sure it is deep enough for pigeon to stick whole beak into. They do not drink like chickens. Also provide a tub of water for him to bathe in. 2 to 3 inches deep is fine.

Also i will not be getting him a mate i understand it makes it harder for him to want to return but im going to spend time with it alot. That is your personal choice, but take into consideration, that pigeons are gregarious and would like some companionship of a mate. If you do decide to just keep one, then I suggest you do not release to free-fly. May decide not to return.

Ask anything else you would like to know, and join a large group of pigeon fanciers on this active thread. Much information there just from reading.:thumbsup
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-talk.1276029/page-934WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Let me tackle some of your questions, and give some ideas/opinions about raising your pigeon.

white homing pigeon for sale for $100.00. I bought it the next day haha.
That is a going price from a retailer who sells for a profit, and does pay for pricey shipping. I purchased my white homers for under $20 each, but did have to get them myself. The HIGH DOLLAR pigeons, are usually racing line winner bloodlines.

My plan is to keep him as a personal pet but also keep him to fly from a mile or 5 miles away from his coop. I've only has him for one day and i know i cant let him fly until he has been locked up for a month or 2.
My pigeons were pets as well. I would loft fly them daily. I did toss fly some, and they did return. I flew those that were homeset to my loft. Keeping your pigeon locked up for 2 months is no guarantee that he will homeset to your loft. Being a lone pigeon is also a factor, that once freed after 2 months, may decide to split and search out a mate. You will be out one pigeon, and $100 cash:hit

I am only feeding him one ounce of food a day, i do this so one he doesnt get fat and two he comes back to be fed (a part of training). Should i give it unlimited water? I know you shouldn't give them unlimited food but what about water?

I never tried to put my pigeons on a diet. They had food available inside loft. They never got fat.:idunno. I know many keepers do feed their pigeons twice per day. If you choose that route, then have feed available for 30 minutes, and remove any after that period. I do know that certain pro pigeon peeps do adhere to a scientific diet for their racers. I never raced, and had no desires to do so. My pigeons were my pets.
Provide plenty of water always, and make sure it is deep enough for pigeon to stick whole beak into. They do not drink like chickens. Also provide a tub of water for him to bathe in. 2 to 3 inches deep is fine.

Also i will not be getting him a mate i understand it makes it harder for him to want to return but im going to spend time with it alot. That is your personal choice, but take into consideration, that pigeons are gregarious and would like some companionship of a mate. If you do decide to just keep one, then I suggest you do not release to free-fly. May decide not to return.

Ask anything else you would like to know, and join a large group of pigeon fanciers on this active thread. Much information there just from reading.:thumbsup
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-talk.1276029/page-934WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thank you this has been so helpful, i am deciding and re-thinking about getting him a female because i would hate to loose him.

All good advice from @cavemanrich !!
I let mine eat as much as they want 2 times a day. For the present I believe you are not yet releasing your bird so I would say there is little need to restrict food. Let him grow fond of his loft and the great food and water you provide(be sure to provide grit as well).

Also, I agree he should have at least one companion, even better a small flock. :)

Congratulations on your first pigeon - very pretty bird!:love

As you read the title you can probably assume this is my first pigeon. I saw a video on youtube about racing pigeons and was absolutely jaw dropped lol. I stood up til' 3 in the morning researching them and found a white homing pigeon for sale for $100.00. I bought it the next day haha. My plan is to keep him as a personal pet but also keep him to fly from a mile or 5 miles away from his coop. I am only feeding him one ounce of food a day, i do this so one he doesnt get fat and two he comes back to be fed (a part of training). I've only has him for one day and i know i cant let him fly until he has been locked up for a month or 2. Should i give it unlimited water? I know you shouldn't give them unlimited food but what about water? Also i will not be getting him a mate i understand it makes it harder for him to want to return but im going to spend time with it alot. Oh and some other useful information is it was from foyspigeonsupplies.com as a white racing homer and he is 6 months old!

I wish for lots of advice and lots of long comments please!!!
Congrats on your very first pigeon, a very pretty one to!

Pigeons are flock birds, so he would love a mate if at all possible. Check your local area, that way you don't have to pay a $100 for one... In my area, white homers proven 200 miles are $15. Pretty cheap.

Remember, NEVER FREE FLY A PIGEON YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE. even with lots of training, as soon as the bird is out flying, it is beyond your reach. Hawks, cars, and wanting a mate may all take your bird. if you have it more as a companion, I would be weary to fly it. All of that to say, free flying birds is absolutely amazing for them and to watch. I would recommend loft flying.

I hope this helps!I am so glad you got a homer. We need more pigeon enthusiast. How did you happen to find out about homing pigeons?

All good advice from @cavemanrich !!
I let mine eat as much as they want 2 times a day. For the present I believe you are not yet releasing your bird so I would say there is little need to restrict food. Let him grow fond of his loft and the great food and water you provide(be sure to provide grit as well).

Also, I agree he should have at least one companion, even better a small flock. :)

Congratulations on your first pigeon - very pretty bird!:love
Thanks! Im now considering getting him a female ill probably pick one up on monday!

Congrats on your very first pigeon, a very pretty one to!

Pigeons are flock birds, so he would love a mate if at all possible. Check your local area, that way you don't have to pay a $100 for one... In my area, white homers proven 200 miles are $15. Pretty cheap.

Remember, NEVER FREE FLY A PIGEON YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE. even with lots of training, as soon as the bird is out flying, it is beyond your reach. Hawks, cars, and wanting a mate may all take your bird. if you have it more as a companion, I would be weary to fly it. All of that to say, free flying birds is absolutely amazing for them and to watch. I would recommend loft flying.

I hope this helps!I am so glad you got a homer. We need more pigeon enthusiast. How did you happen to find out about homing pigeons?
Thank You! I found out about them through a youtube video and i was just fascinated!

Back
Top Bottom