Homing Pigeons that don't come home?

How long did it take your pigeon to come back?

My homing pigeon has been gone 3 days now. I am broken hearted!

Vivian

Loss is part of letting your birds fly free as heartbreaking as it is. I find letting your birds out hungry increases your chances of return especially when it comes to loft flying for the first time. Take away their food for at least 12 hours before letting them loose.

I had one pigeon that I took on a toss by mistake it was a young squab. It was gone for over a month. It came home and it looked like it was helping Santa Clause it was covered in soot. I lost him to a predator about a year later. I think it was a raccoon but I am not 100% sure. He was one of my best birds when it came to homing instinct

Last edited:
Hello Hokum:

Thanks so much for replying.

Well, if yours came back after one month, I still have hope, right?

You are correct that when you let them fly off, there is always the
danger of them not coming back. I knew that but I trusted that God would
always take care of her and bring her back.

I am looking into buying two doves to keep in a cage at home safely
protected. Even though I loved the concept of letting my dove fly free
and come back so she would have the best of both worlds.

But I will not take the risk again. It is too painful losing them.

God Bless,

Vivian

My bet is the guy selling the homers knows they will fly right back to his loft and he will sell them again to someone else,I had homers and never flew them other than letting th out of the loft to fly around the house,I gave some to my brother who lived about 30 miles away,he kept them caged for about 2 months and let them out,within a few hours they were back in my loft!

Hi Doig:

Thanks for your words of hope and support.
I cried so much for 4 days! I had no idea I would be so attached to this beautiful
and gentle dove/homing pigeon.

It's been over 1 month now.

I bought a pair of baby doves that I keep in a large cage. I am not risking losing
another one, it hurt too much.

Vivian

Back
Top Bottom