honey bees?

We decided to build top bar hives.

http://www.lulu.com/content/815182

We spent $182 on materials and have enough to build 3 hives. We have 2 packages of bees coming in 2 weeks. We figured it couldn't hurt to have the extra empty hive on hand just in case.

We bought some top quiality pine but my husband really wanted one western red cedar box. That is the expensive stuff that makes the price higher.

We felt like it just wasn't worth $239 for 1 standard hive when we could build 3 or 4 top bar hives for the same cost.

If you plan to get bees this year you need to jump on it. Most places have sold out of bees and they are only avialable in the spring.

I found out the Wilson Co. bee club -- (I'll be moving to Wilson Co.) -- meets only 5 miles from my new house.
smile.png

We are starting beekeeping this year, also! Things start later around here, and bees aren't available locally until May at least. We have our name on a list for a hive nucleus instead of just the queen and a few workers from a local guy down the road from us.

We have a seminar to go to this weekend on how to get started!

Wonderful- another forum for me to keep up with!
big_smile.png

Miss Prissy- that is a different looking hive. Would it have advantages in the snow? Or maybe we would need the snow to insulate the hive in the winter...We were just going to go with the box style hives.

There are several forums on the top bar hives. Look around while you are waiting for your bees. The beehive is just stretched out wide instead of tall.

I have some spanish friends that use nothing but top bar hives. I do know the honey yield is slightly reduced over a conventional hive. Interesting thing is they don't seem to have the disease and die off issues with their bees that others do. I wonder if it is a function of keeping bees in this manner or if it is just they way they manage the hive?

Thanks for the link MP, I think I will be waiting til next spring. Can u please keep us posted on ur hives?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom