Honeydew melon for chicks

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Is honeydew melon ok for chicks, they are 3 weeks old now, and they are getting grit. I gave them a half melon they all seemed to like it. Hope it was safe for them, I think it is but wanted your thoughts.

Thankyou!

ArizonaNessa

Joyfully Addicted
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
I give mine treats but very sparingly at that age. Maybe once a week if I happen to have something I give it to them but I save most of the treats for the older birds.

I agree with speckledhen on this one. Their chick feed is the most important thing for them at that age.

[email protected]

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Taneytown
To give them a treat you could moisten some of their chick feed
big_smile.png

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Oh dear I hope I didn't hurt my babies, they ate all of it! It was in with them about 5 hours. It wasn't a very large melon and there are 28 of them, please tell me I didn't do something bad!!!! I went right after reading your thoughts to take it out.

OrpingtonManor

Building the Castle
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Martinez, CA
One day won't hurt them, so take a deep breath. They loved it. In the future, maybe just give them the rinds after you eat it, or just a small slice. Remember, they are little. If you gave a toddler a little piece of cake, it is better than giving them the whole cake. A low protein snack, even fruit, is really like giving your chicks candy. Keep it in moderation and they will do fine.

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Oh my gosh, I just did that!!! I got really scared there, not good for my blood pressure! I don't know what I would do if I messed up like that!!!!!
smack.gif
I'm the the blue one!!
Thankyou for letting me know, and you are absolutely right, makes alot of sense. I don't think they will be getting any more treats anytime soon! If I give them any it will be just a little bit of ??

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom