hooded merganser

My pair was supposed to be shipped last week, but delayed shipment since it was so cold. Mine are getting shipped today. Wolrep, are you just getting into waterfowl?

Blue creek - yea I am just getting into waterfowl side of bird keeping. So far I have the hoodies comming and I have a pair of manderins. Thinking about a kind of teal next not to sure what though.

Here are two pics of my pen I am currently working on. When some there will be two 8'x24' pens. Any suggestion on birds or on the pen?

Hi I lost a Hooded female so now I have 2 males and a female. Looking for another female around 2 years or so. I live in upstate New York and it's cold so it has to be use to cold. Thanks for any help

Hi I lost a Hooded female so now I have 2 males and a female. Looking for another female around 2 years or so. I live in upstate New York and it's cold so it has to be use to cold. Thanks for any help
I have a breeder hen and have been looking for a breeder drake. My last resort was getting a 2013 hatch pair and just hoping the juvenile male would breed her! I believe they can trio, but two pairs would be nice. Is your male a breeder?

Blue creek - yea I am just getting into waterfowl side of bird keeping. So far I have the hoodies comming and I have a pair of manderins. Thinking about a kind of teal next not to sure what though.

Here are two pics of my pen I am currently working on. When some there will be two 8'x24' pens. Any suggestion on birds or on the pen?

Is the aviary done with pond and all? The hooded mergansers are not beginner birds considering they are divers. I raised ducks for a few years before getting any divers. Your pen will need elevated nest boxes, and you can place some rocks around the pond so that they do not make a big mess, then place a log or tree stump and a perch or something since the mandarins will definitely use those. Teals are good beginners, especially Cinnamon Teal, cold hardy. I have a breeder pair I need to sell.... Where do you live?

I have a good friend that breeds hoodies and he has given me a lot of helpful tips. He just didn't have any avaiable and I didn't want to wait till he did lol. Thanks for the suggestion with the rocks and stuff around the pond. I will finish off the pen tomorrow and then add perches and vegetation to the pen. From my big pond out in the cow pasture ill be able to get live crayfish and outher goodies for them and put it in there pond. I live in Sebring Florida. How about you where are you from?

That is good. I am in NY, just as you can see under my avatar. I just wanted to know location before I made some teal suggestions. You are keep the tropical species, and ringed teal are one of my favorites, which die really easily up north. Please be sure to post pictures of them!

I sure will get some pics up once they are in there new cage. Where in upstate NY at you I am originaly from Amityville Long Island and went to college in Rochester. A lot of people down here have those ringed teals I have been offered a pair a few times. Now when the pen is done ill most likely get a pair.

Back
Top Bottom