Hook worms in chickens can anyone help me

kbryant

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
I had a very rare situation the past 10 days as I had one of my original silkies 17 months old egg bound and after trying everything (mineral oil,standing in very warm water for 20 mins., blew her dry then stood her on top of boiling steam for 20 mins, then KY jelly) I was still unable to release the eggs. By the 8th day I felt up to 3-4 eggs but nothing and she was still eating and drinking and acting fine so I took her to the vets and she was unable to release the eggs either so they opened her up and she had 5 eggs but instead of being in her canal they had formed in her abdomen. The eggs were at all different stages and she even gave me them to bring home to show my husband. They had no explanation for it as there were NO HOLES in her tube. She had layed at least 10-15 eggs up until this point just fine. They said they had NEVER in all their years of practice seen anything like this. They said she was full of infection but she made it through surgery and was eating and drinking when I bought her home later that day. I gave her the antibiotic at 9:30pm checked on her at 10pm before going to bed and she was still eating and drinking but when I got up at 6 am she had passed away. I know I did all I could for her and so did the vet, I will miss her terribly.

The vet also said she had hook worms, could anyone help me with this. I give panicure(safe-guard) by putting a pea size on my finger and then putting it on their tongues. Does anyone know if one dose is enough or do I have to give it for a few days straight and then every 4-6 months. I believe the babies can get it after they are 3 months old. Also, how do I treat the ground or is treating them enough. I know I have to burn the shavings.

I don't wont to lose anymore birds.
Thanks for all you help

Quote:
Sorry for your loss, the stress/shock to her system was probably too much for her. Safeguard is a good treatment for hookworms, redose them in 10 days with the same amount. You can set up a regular worming schedule as you deem appropriate. It's an impossible task to treat the ground for any kind of worms...a regular worming schedule is your best bet and your chickens will live a long time and be productive. Rotate wormers to help prevent possible worm immunity. The next time you worm try valbazen (albendazole), it kills hookworms, tapeworms,liver flukes and all other types of worms that chickens get.

I don't have chickens yet but have started collecting materials to convert one of my horse stalls into a coop. After reading some of the posts, I'm a little apprehensive. I had always heard that chickens were the easiest animals to raise but it sounds like there are a lot of health issues as well as preditors. I'm going to give it a try but I'm gonna be crushed when I lose the first baby.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC. Chickens ARE easy to raise but can have health issues just like any other animal. As far as predators go, chickens are on everyones menu. Snakes have been my major predator, I've lost quite a few chicks/pullets to snakes and have had them go after my adult hens as well. If you do lose one of your chickens for whatever reason, it always seems it's your favorite. That's when it really hurts the most. Anyway, BYC forum is the place to go for questions/ideas etc.. about chickens. Dont be discouraged, it's not all doom and gloom. I've rarely had any major problems with chickens healthwise...occasional bumblefoot, a bout with fowl pox, a bout with lice and normal wormings, an occasional bump or scratch and that's it. See, nothing to it! I've had chickens for years and I love them! Good luck.

Thanks dawg53,
I will give what you suggested a try and stay with the safeguard for this treatment and see if I can find yours for the next one. Did you mean do the safeguard again in 10 days or should I try yours in 10 days. Sorry for all the questions but I am just a newby and I love my chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's ok kbryant, no problem. Go ahead and go with the safeguard again in 10 days. Whenever you decide to worm later on down the road, try to use a different wormer.

Dawg53,
I will be going out of town next thursday so will it be ok for me to worm at 7 days instead of 10 or is that too soon.
Thanks again for helping me
clap.gif

Last edited:
Ok, Thanks I won't be back until Dec 4-5 so that would put it about 17-18 Days from when they got their first does. Is That ok?
Thank you for coming back and checking on my questions you are a life saver
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom