Hookbill duckling question

Lil wry

Chirping
Jun 4, 2022
So we have a backyard mix of eggs we hatched. Long story short we were told there was a good possibility that some of our eggs could be hookbill. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how old the ducklings need to be before I might spot this trait. I tried looking online and it seems there are very few pictures of them as ducklings so I don't even know for sure what they look like at hatch.

So we have a backyard mix of eggs we hatched. Long story short we were told there was a good possibility that some of our eggs could be hookbill. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how old the ducklings need to be before I might spot this trait. I tried looking online and it seems there are very few pictures of them as ducklings so I don't even know for sure what they look like at hatch.
Hi
My one girl at 3 weeks I noticed her bill was off looked like hook bill
These were Swedish ducks and we have no idea how or why as none of the parents have this
But one of the moms has some kind of Rouen gene as she keeps producing babies with eye markings that feather out like a Rouen so maybe she carries the hook bill gene too
Here are the two siblings one with a straight beak and other looks hook

Attachments

• 32B0A9C7-942E-4B36-A073-36E1CC0C5B39.png
    32B0A9C7-942E-4B36-A073-36E1CC0C5B39.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • B09DBDFE-B7EC-4C4C-90AA-29A251FF46C9.png
    B09DBDFE-B7EC-4C4C-90AA-29A251FF46C9.png
    4 MB · Views: 1
Thank you both so much for the pictures. It really helps. Guess I will wait and see what we get. They are only a few days old with more yet to hatch. Do either of you notice any issues from the beak? I had never even heard of this duck until we got these eggs.

Thank you both so much for the pictures. It really helps. Guess I will wait and see what we get. They are only a few days old with more yet to hatch. Do either of you notice any issues from the beak? I had never even heard of this duck until we got these eggs.
I have been raising Hookbills for a few years now and I have never had any issues with the curved bill causing problems or health issues.

Back
Top Bottom