Hoopla, Den motherJethro and the girls.

Hi Linda and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
Thank you! I hope to learn and grow with my small flock. I am already having a bad situation. I have a hen that out of the blue drank a whole lot of water, and now is showing signs of craw issue. I brought her in over the weekend to get a real idea where the problem was coming from. and noticed a few things I think she ate a lot of grass and there is an obstruction in her craw. I am slowly weeding out what I can do for her. I will start massaging her craw. tonight when I get home from work. I was thinking about yogurt, I saw someone mention that they eat. I will figure out if I can massage and free up. I never knew of such a thing, since I am so new to raising chickens, outside of our free roamers we had when I was young.

Hello Linda and welcome to BYC! If your rooster is eating the laying feed he is getting too much calcium. A better option would be All Flock with oyster shell offered on the side. The All Flock has a higher protein content and is lower in calcium. Also, additional calcium is not good for non laying pullets or hens. Best of luck with your wee flock.
Awesome!, thank you for the suggestion. I do offer oyster shell, but I do not remember oyster shell looking like aquarium gravel. It looks large, but I guess I will find out here if I got the wrong oyster shell. Is saying for Poultry.

Awesome!, thank you for the suggestion. I do offer oyster shell, but I do not remember oyster shell looking like aquarium gravel. It looks large, but I guess I will find out here if I got the wrong oyster shell. Is saying for Poultry.
Hello, Can you post a pic of the bag and the OS so others can look at it to make sure it's the right stuff in the bag? :)

Hello!

As mentioned, it’s Welsummer :) They lay brown eggs often with speckles. I am wondering if her other half of the cross would be a crested cream legbar? That would account for her crest and green eggs.

For the oyster shell, yeah, mine is probably the size of aquarium pebbles, but also there are fiber bits. They’ll eat what they need.

Are your feather kids getting grit? That is necessary for breakdown/grinding of stuff like grass in their gizzard. They also have problems with long strands of grass (as opposed to bits they peck off themselves)

I haven’t dealt with crop issues myself (yet), but here is a BYC article that might be helpful?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you! I hope to learn and grow with my small flock. I am already having a bad situation. I have a hen that out of the blue drank a whole lot of water, and now is showing signs of craw issue. I brought her in over the weekend to get a real idea where the problem was coming from. and noticed a few things I think she ate a lot of grass and there is an obstruction in her craw. I am slowly weeding out what I can do for her. I will start massaging her craw. tonight when I get home from work. I was thinking about yogurt, I saw someone mention that they eat. I will figure out if I can massage and free up. I never knew of such a thing, since I am so new to raising chickens, outside of our free roamers we had when I was young.
Sorry about your girl! If she had access to long grass, it can definitely cause an impaction. It winds around into a ball if not in the crop but lower down in the gizzard. Do you have any Dolculax Docusate Sodium 100 mg capsules? Its only the stool softener, no laxative. I would start with 2, prick them open and squeeze it onto something you know she will eat all of like scrambled eggs. Then tonight at bedtime give her only 1. Repeat the morning and evening dose, 1 each, for several days. This will help break down the impaction. Sometimes it takes days to loosen it. For now, only soft easy to digest foods, no hard seeds or grains, no grass. Protein foods are good, along with wet foods, the more water she gets, the faster this will break down. Keep her warm too. And keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom