Hooray! Did not need to kill rat, it got better and I set it free!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by khatar, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I posted a thread on a rat that survived a trap with a serious injury and whether I should put it out of its misery here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542473
    Last
    night the rat recovered and started getting more active, including tying to get out of the box. It definitely was looking better than before, it had been sleeping all day and was now awake because it was night time. I decided to go with my family on a night walk. We took the rat far into the canyon near our house and let it walk out. I watched it happily walk into the bushes where it belonged. Now we have a one eyed black rat running around out there, but I'm just glad she is safe. What surprises me is that she did not come at us at all to bite us. She just let me tip over the box so she could walk out. But anyway, I'm overjoyed that I let it go and from now on I will be looking for things that repel rats and mice. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The only reason I ever killed rats is because they don't sell love traps around here. [​IMG] And remember, I never even thought of keeping a wild rat as a pet. I never even mentioned the word PET at all. I'm saying this so people don't think I don't know what wild rats are like. I was almost attacked by a brown rat you know.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Really?

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Wth?!?!

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    well I guess all that matters is that your happy.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

You've obviously never been invaded by those nasty vermin.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    OMG...[​IMG]

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    LOL!!! this just cracks me up! [​IMG] [​IMG]:lau

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:my thoughts exactly...

if it hadn't been killed in a trap I would have knocked it out of its misery. rats are predators to me and my animals.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    That rat could cause some serious damage to your flock... [​IMG]

10. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    That's not so bad [​IMG] You have a very compassionate heart and that is a rare and wonderful quality.

I saved a lunar moth one time, it was HUGE, I had to save it! I kept it safe for a few hours until it was able to fly again. I took it out back to let it go and as if flew away, a crow swooped down and ate it! [​IMG] Oh well, it's always worth a shot [​IMG]

Good for you [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by