Hoover’s Mystic Onyx

We have 21 chicks total, 4 of them are the black onyx. 2 out of our onyx have gotten alot bigger than the others and they are constantly perking up and bumping chest. The other breeds we have do it from time to time but they run away from each other and it only last for a second. These 2 are constantly doing it. Do you think there roos? There almost 3 weeks old.
Hmm could be. I have 2 that I'm pretty sure are roos as well but they don't do that so its possible. All the chicks I ordered where the onyx and its been interesting to see the differences in them as they age. They're not much older then yours though so I can't say for sure till the rooster crows. I will say that roosting on perches is something that they are having a hard time getting the hang of. Have you noticed how abnormally friendly they are. More so then any of the other types I've kept at a similar age atleast.

Hmm could be. I have 2 that I'm pretty sure are roos as well but they don't do that so its possible. All the chicks I ordered where the onyx and its been interesting to see the differences in them as they age. They're not much older then yours though so I can't say for sure till the rooster crows. I will say that roosting on perches is something that they are having a hard time getting the hang of. Have you noticed how abnormally friendly they are. More so then any of the other types I've kept at a similar age atleast.
Yes they are very friendly and seem to love it when you talk to them. Mine chatter back like there talking to you. All the other chicks that are different breeds run away.

Did anyone get in their onyx orders a white skinned, normal toed chick? I'm still debating on two chicks out if the 4 I grabbed last minth. Two are white skinned and one has an extra toe and one doesn't

I just purchased 4 Rustic Ramblers tonight from TSC. They all have 5 toes and are solid black. I sure hope they turn out as beautiful as your hen. Wish there was more info on how to tell what sex they are.
13 days between pictures. There growing so fast. There almost double the size of my other chicks of different breeds that are the same age.

Attachments

• 20210417_204731.jpg
    20210417_204731.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210403_221259.jpg
    20210403_221259.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 20
I made my decision and went ahead and ordered a batch of Mystic Onyx chicks for next month as well as some AC eggs.

I'm making a separate pen for their flock and I'm gonna breed the the Ayam Cemanis in and select towards complete fibromelanism and get rid of some of the silkie traits. I think that would be better for me, because I've wanted a fibro flock for a long time but ACs are honestly really gamey and bad producers, and Svart Honas are too small and very difficult to get where I live. They'll be a more modern bred dual-purpose flock. Pretty good layers, probably broody, and a little bigger and buffer than heritage fibro breeds. I'm gonna throw my favorite Ameraucana hen in there too and see if I can breed in blue eggs (and maybe beards) too. I will also get rid of single combs because it gets very cold and relentlessly windy here and they always get frostbite on the tips.

It might take a while, but it's a fun project for me. I love hatching chicks.

I made my decision and went ahead and ordered a batch of Mystic Onyx chicks for next month as well as some AC eggs.

I'm making a separate pen for their flock and I'm gonna breed the the Ayam Cemanis in and select towards complete fibromelanism and get rid of some of the silkie traits. I think that would be better for me, because I've wanted a fibro flock for a long time but ACs are honestly really gamey and bad producers, and Svart Honas are too small and very difficult to get where I live. They'll be a more modern bred dual-purpose flock. Pretty good layers, probably broody, and a little bigger and buffer than heritage fibro breeds. I'm gonna throw my favorite Ameraucana hen in there too and see if I can breed in blue eggs (and maybe beards) too. I will also get rid of single combs because it gets very cold and relentlessly windy here and they always get frostbite on the tips.

It might take a while, but it's a fun project for me. I love hatching chicks.
Thats cool I plan on crossing them with sumatras and ameraucanas. Also aiming for blue eggs and possibly bearded but also the flat tail of the sumatra. Plus they're both good free rangers which is nice. Who knows maybe ill get a 5 toed, bearded, blue egger, fibro, hen or a 5 toed, 2 spurred, flat tail, bearded, fibro, rooster one day.

Back
Top Bottom