Hoover's -- crossing my fingers

amazondoc2

Songster
12 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Hiyall!

Well, I'm going to have my fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks.

I've had some raccoon incursions, which resulted in losing most of my "miscellaneous layer/fun to look at" pen before I figured out what was going on. I wanted to replace them before winter, so I've spent the last couple of days looking around all the hatcheries I could think of and doing a lot of thinking.

I know Hoover's often gets knocked around here, but they had the widest variety of breeds that I was interested in, still available at this time of year. A lot of the hatcheries, like my go-to Ideal, are winding down, and Ideal doesn't carry a couple of the breeds I wanted anyway.

So, anyway, I'm giving Hoover's a try. Yes, I know they supply TSC; yes, I know some folks have had trouble with their shipping. I figure early fall is going to be a pretty safe time to ship -- still warm, but not the height of summer.

So cross your fingers for me as I'm busy completely refencing that pen and waiting for my new babies, and I'll post with my chick results. Here's what I've ordered:

roos:

2 Welsummers (my favorite roos of all time -- I think they're just about perfect)

pullets:

2 Welsummers
2 Easter eggers
2 black Australorps
2 barred rocks
2 calico princess
3 wheaten Marans
3 salmon faverolles
2 speckled Sussex

Hiyall!

Well, I'm going to have my fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks.

I've had some raccoon incursions, which resulted in losing most of my "miscellaneous layer/fun to look at" pen before I figured out what was going on. I wanted to replace them before winter, so I've spent the last couple of days looking around all the hatcheries I could think of and doing a lot of thinking.

I know Hoover's often gets knocked around here, but they had the widest variety of breeds that I was interested in, still available at this time of year. A lot of the hatcheries, like my go-to Ideal, are winding down, and Ideal doesn't carry a couple of the breeds I wanted anyway.

So, anyway, I'm giving Hoover's a try. Yes, I know they supply TSC; yes, I know some folks have had trouble with their shipping. I figure early fall is going to be a pretty safe time to ship -- still warm, but not the height of summer.

So cross your fingers for me as I'm busy completely refencing that pen and waiting for my new babies, and I'll post with my chick results. Here's what I've ordered:

roos:

2 Welsummers (my favorite roos of all time -- I think they're just about perfect)

pullets:

2 Welsummers
2 Easter eggers
2 black Australorps
2 barred rocks
2 calico princess
3 wheaten Marans
3 salmon faverolles
2 speckled Sussex
Best of luck with your new chicks!!!

You mentioned Ideal, does that mean that you are in Texas?
If so, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of luck you have.
Hoover's selection is nice and I would like a few of their chicks, but I've never bought mail-order chicks.( I'm a world class worrier)

Thanks, all!

Janie -- no, I'm in TN. I've tried to get the BYC to add my location, but it refuses to do it unless I also add a lot of info I don't want to give it. Very weird.

I've ordered from Ideal for years -- I recommend them. If you do have losses, they are very good about refunds.

If you do mail order, you just have to accept that sometimes you'll have losses. It's one of those sad facts of life -- not every chick makes it!

All my chickens are from Hoover’s and the only issues I’ve had was when buying them through the feed store, the salespeople did not properly identify breed or sex, and I got a mixed bag. I was also brand-new to chicken keeping so I didn’t know what I know now.

I plan on ordering next year directly from hoover’s so I’m curious to see how it turns out for you!

I have had many feed store chicks that originated at Hoovers.

Yes I have had the occasional oopster. All in all I have been pleased given that over the years and about 150 chicks I have only had 3 oopsters from sexed pullet bins.
I have not purchased through TSC mainly because their bins here have been overly mixed with same color chicks (meat birds with white Leghorns and white silkies for example) and are straight run.

I received decent birds for Hoovers Hatchery, I ended up not liking the breeds I picked though. I still have one Cuckoo Maran left I bought from there because she laid the darkest egg I figured keep her. I like to keep one of every breed I had after I got rid of the rest of them. I felt Marans were over rated because to me a white egg tastes like a brown egg which tastes like a blue egg. So the novelty wore off pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom